Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by qmiles321
Staying at this property from next month with confirmed Andaz Pool Suite upgrade using WAILEA code. Two paid nights and two free nights.
Did you use a diamond suite upgrade? How did you get a suite other than the Andaz Suite Partial Ocean View?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:31 pm

Also, are reservations recommended for Morimoto? Anyone try out the spa yet? Debating whether to do the spa at the Andaz or next door at Grand Wailea. Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
You need to email GP Concierge at Flyertalk not regular GP customer service. There is a reason why we have GP Concierge here.

"Mr. Chang,

Thank you for your message. All four nights under the Wailea special rate plan are eligible for Gold Passport stay credit. I have updated the stay posted to your account accordingly.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns."

Originally Posted by scjmc
Update regarding Wailea Offer:

"Dear Mr. scjmc:

Thank you for contacting Hyatt Gold Passport; I appreciate the
opportunity to assist you.

Regarding confirmation number xxxx, the rate you booked your
reservation at you received two free nights. The free night to not
qualify as eligible night since you did not pay for them. So you stayed
four nights but only paid for two nights.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any other assistance
with your Hyatt Gold Passport account.

Best Regards"
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by booyaa
Also, are reservations recommended for Morimoto? Anyone try out the spa yet? Debating whether to do the spa at the Andaz or next door at Grand Wailea. Thanks!
We ate at Morimotos on Sunday and it did get pretty busy for a Sunday; however, when I checked on Sunday, most time slots were open. You can just make the ressie on OpenTable. (Kaana Kitchen is also on OpenTable).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:56 pm

How was Morimotos? Worth the $$? Anything particularly good or not good?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
We ate at Morimotos on Sunday and it did get pretty busy for a Sunday; however, when I checked on Sunday, most time slots were open. You can just make the ressie on OpenTable. (Kaana Kitchen is also on OpenTable).
Thanks for this. Wouldn't have thought of to look there.

So some of this may be a little off-topic, but I'm trying to gauge the Hyatt experience here in conjunction with experience with Andaz Maui...

Will be staying there for 4 nights next week for our honeymoon (using WAILEA code) and had asked for Diamond Trial.

Called to have Diamond Suite Upgrade applied and was "confirmed" into Suite with Partial Ocean View. I then checked reservation and first email changed my rate to the suite rate (some $900+). Called in and they fixed the rate to my original rate, but then noticed Rate Type was changed to Andaz Rate instead of the WAILEA rate. Called in again and then they told me the upgraded room type was never confirmed at the hotel's end.

CS agent told me that she would have to revert my room type and rate to the original, then call the hotel to upgrade my room on their end (to Suite with Partial View using DSU). Viewing the reservation online though, would still reflect my original room type after the upgrade. Is this normal?

After that call with CS agents, I simply called the hotel directly. I wanted a full ocean view to begin with so I inquired if I could get a suite with full ocean view after using DSU, but there was no availability. They offered, however, to upgrade us to Deluxe Ocean View room and return the DSU, and I took this option as we value the better view more than extra (empty) space with "sub-par" view. I'm hoping that, after all these changes, at the end of the day my WAILEA rate would still be in effect since paying for all 4 nights would seriously throw my budget off!

Also, I noticed when viewing my reservation online, the reservation had my old physical address under guest details. Not sure how that happened since I changed my address weeks ago, before making the reservation. Then when I tried to edit the address in the reservation, it didn't save but truncated my first name instead and now I can't change that either! What is going on, Hyatt??
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by calflygirl
How was Morimotos? Worth the $$? Anything particularly good or not good?
The food experience at Andaz Morimoto was very similar to Morimotos in Waikiki. If you've eaten at the Waikiki restaurant, there's not much surprise (and perhaps even compared to Morimoto's other restaurants). I asked our server if he knew the unique menu items at this Morimotos but our server could not. Personally, I've always felt that Morimotos is more form over substance--more hyped than anything else, but the wife likes it so we eat there. Wife likes the yousei dofu, which she got, and tried the sushi. Sushi wasn't any different than what you can get elsewhere, so not sure the rolls are all that worth the money (although the rolls aren't too much of a rip off). I had the ishiyari buribap and it was okay. We shared several starters, including the cold udon and french onion soup. Had to send the udon back because it came out very al dente. Very meh experience for me.

As noted above, we ate at Kaana Kitchen, and I would strongly recommend a dinner there.

By the way, Chef Ben at Kaana Kitchen is amazing. He crafted some awesome creations at breakfast. Just ask. Staff there seems to bend over backwards to accommodate requests. The $45/person "kitchen" experience is great, and even better as Diamond where it's all part of the breakfast benefit.

Last edited by slippahs; Nov 19, 2013 at 11:13 pm
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:19 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slippahs
As noted above, we ate at Kaana Kitchen, and I would strongly recommend a dinner there.

By the way, Chef Ben at Kaana Kitchen is amazing. He crafted some awesome creations at breakfast. Just ask. Staff there seems to bend over backwards to accommodate requests. The $45/person "kitchen" experience is great, and even better as Diamond where it's all part of the breakfast benefit.
100% agree. We particularly liked their take on Eggs Benedict which seem to have Chicken schnitzel instead of ham, and some of the other specialty dishes. When we couldn't find them (as they alternate during the week) he would make a fresh batch. Also made fried rice minus the prawns for my husband's seafood allergy.

We felt incredibly special at how much they were willing to do to make us happy.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I just completed a couple of weeks here. I have to immediately agree about the breakfast staff at the buffet - just great service. They bend over backwards to serve. They were making me the most customized smoothies I've ever had made - I was very impressed. They will customize anything you wish.

The juices and smoothies are great, as is the 100% Maui bean fresh pour coffee. I loved the smoked wahoo.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by booyaa
Did you use a diamond suite upgrade? How did you get a suite other than the Andaz Suite Partial Ocean View?
I booked a suite with 33k/night points. I was originally given a "pool suite" (maybe it's called a partial view suite, but...) which was room 126. It had no view, other than of the sewer drain and some building roofs - I kid you not, a horrible disappointment. It did have a walk out right into the pool... but I'm not a pool person.

They accommodated me by changing to a full ocean view regular room and refund of the point difference 33k to 22k per night. I was very happy (but my wife wanted a suite, as much as I prioritize the view, which was spectacular and won her over with the sunsets and moon sets) - and I will be writing the GM to recognize the staff that assisted.

So, I'm saying, beware of partial view rooms here, the full view rooms are significantly better... and beware of "non-view" suites.

I must also say the the lobby with its views is just spectacular.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:06 am

Thank you, slippahs & canyonleo. I'm very excited about the Ka'ana Kitchen. I think we may end up there most nights and do Morimoto's one night just to say that we did. I've never been to a Morimoto's so it'll be all new to me, although I am a bit of a sushi snob.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:07 am

Thanks to you too, m0hamed. Your input throughout this thread has been very helpful.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I just completed a couple of weeks here. I have to immediately agree about the breakfast staff at the buffet - just great service. They bend over backwards to serve. They were making me the most customized smoothies I've ever had made - I was very impressed. They will customize anything you wish.

The juices and smoothies are great, as is the 100% Maui bean fresh pour coffee. I loved the smoked wahoo.
glad you enjoyed your stay!! can you let us know about parking near by instead of valet? thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:44 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by calflygirl
Thanks to you too, m0hamed. Your input throughout this thread has been very helpful.
You're very welcome
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:58 pm

Wife and I are staying here next week. What's the best way to get to the hotel? Cab, shuttle, or arrange with the hotel? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.