Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
In my opinion Mama’s Fish House is way way overrated.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:27 pm

Thanks everybody for your information. I am going to cross of Mama's fish house from the list.Sounds like you saved us some serious cash.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's funny. There's a Maui restaurant thread where everyone loves Mama's.

Glad to hear that the subset of Maui lovers who are Andaz Maui lovers find Mama's to be overrated.

Last edited by josephstern; Mar 20, 2019 at 10:49 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by josephstern
It's funny. There's a Maui restaurant thread where everyone loves Mama's.

Glad to hear that the subset of Maui lovers who are Andaz Maui lovers find Mama's to be overrated.

Not that funny... much of the property thread is with regard to free (points) stays, making a very expensive Andaz not expensive at all... yet these people require "value" in other (than hotels) areas like a restaurant. Mama's might be amazing, but it's not a value, and thus to anyone focused on point stays it might be "over-rated".

I'll bet all recent posters would feel otherwise if one could use their business travel meal points for free meals at Mama's
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Coconut’s Fish Cafe is a poke gem. It’s in a strip mall, but grab bottle/six pack get some poke to go and
sit on the Andaz beach for dinner...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkojames
Same here could someone PM the Kihei parking tip as well? I am going next month and we plan on renting a car just for one day. We want to go do something things but the hotel rental will be closed when we come back. Usaully I would not mind paying for parking. But to pay to park then return the car 4 hours later kinda sucks. Thank you in advance.
I find this secret "Kihei parking tip" thing to be silly. "Kihei" itself is obviously too far to be practical to park at. That said, on my last trip to Wailea a couple months ago, I did a little driving around to see what the alternative parking options are -- now that all the hotels in Wailea seem to be charging absurd "captive audience" parking fees since on-street parking in Wailea is generally unavailable. If you pull up a google map, you'll see that S. Kihei Rd (where there are no signs prohibiting parking) isn't that far from the Andaz. I'm not sure if there's a better option, but I was able to walk through the nearby public beach access, and then maybe 100 yards on the beach and then enter the Andaz property from the rear. I'm guessing this is the "big secret." I don't know if there's a shortcut to the hotel that doesn't involve a short walk on the beach. In a normal world, with rational hotel parking prices, you wouldn't bother with this, but as a mere Explorist, I guess I will on my next visit.

BTW, at the time, I was staying at the Grand Wailea, which is in the middle of the Wailea "strip." Sadly, I didn't see any free parking there. However, if you are staying on the opposite end of Wailea near the Fairmont, there seems to also be free parking along Kaukahi St.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I find this secret "Kihei parking tip" thing to be silly. "Kihei" itself is obviously too far to be practical to park at. That said, on my last trip to Wailea a couple months ago, I did a little driving around to see what the alternative parking options are -- now that all the hotels in Wailea seem to be charging absurd "captive audience" parking fees since on-street parking in Wailea is generally unavailable. If you pull up a google map, you'll see that S. Kihei Rd (where there are no signs prohibiting parking) isn't that far from the Andaz. I'm not sure if there's a better option, but I was able to walk through the nearby public beach access, and then maybe 100 yards on the beach and then enter the Andaz property from the rear. I'm guessing this is the "big secret." I don't know if there's a shortcut to the hotel that doesn't involve a short walk on the beach. In a normal world, with rational hotel parking prices, you wouldn't bother with this, but as a mere Explorist, I guess I will on my next visit.

BTW, at the time, I was staying at the Grand Wailea, which is in the middle of the Wailea "strip." Sadly, I didn't see any free parking there. However, if you are staying on the opposite end of Wailea near the Fairmont, there seems to also be free parking along Kaukahi St.

FYI
Beach Access lots are barricaded closed after sunset, all cars are claimed to be towed out first. Parking on public streets is prohibited by law from 3-5a by order of Kihei police department. That said, enforcement is likely infrequent.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I you can afford it Mamas is a must!! The best atmosphere of anyplace on Maui hands down. Mamas and Lahina Grill are tied for best food in my opinion. That being said its $100 per person. I think the negativity is solely on price.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
If you want a nice dinner with a beautiful view, I highly recommend Japengo at the Hyatt Regency Kaanapali. Make a reservation here for early evening & request a view, & you'll see a beautiful sunset. They also have a great happy hour in the bar & lounge from 5:00-6:00 with live music from 5:30-7:30 daily. No reservations needed for happy hour, though it looks like you can make them via link above. Even late at night the ambiance is nice with the breeze & waves crashing on the shore. And, you can give your WOH # & earn WOH points on your food & beverages!

We've dined there several times since 2013, for happy hour & dinner. We've celebrated engagement/wedding planning, a 'meeting of the families' wedding-week dinner, & an anniversary dinner here, & they were all wonderful. Ok, we may be a tad biased, but we truly do think it's a great restaurant. The menu is varied, I eat very little seafood but there are options for everyone! You can get half portions of several items for half price which is nice. The fried rice is always a must for us, & even great eaten cold as leftovers back at the hotel.

We did enjoy the food & ambiance at Mama's, but it's far from the only restaurant with great seafood & nice views. We also had a delicious dinner at Morimoto at the Andaz.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyonleo
FYI
Beach Access lots are barricaded closed after sunset, all cars are claimed to be towed out first. Parking on public streets is prohibited by law from 3-5a by order of Kihei police department. That said, enforcement is likely infrequent.
There are clear signs saying you can't park overnight in the beach access lots. Seems mean but, hey, they can make whatever rules they want. But the street spaces? There are NO signs prohibiting overnight parking. Are you sure overnight parking is illegal? This would be outrageous as it would be done without any notice whatsoever.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are clear signs saying you can't park overnight in the beach access lots. Seems mean but, hey, they can make whatever rules they want. But the street spaces? There are NO signs prohibiting overnight parking. Are you sure overnight parking is illegal? This would be outrageous as it would be done without any notice whatsoever.
Hawaii has some long-term problems with people parking overnight in beach lots - people camp, live out of their cars, never share the spaces, etc. If I were almost homeless but had a car, I'd want it to be in Hawaii, for sure.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:48 pm

I have personally spoken with Kihei police, and the outsourced service security company they use (I forget the name, it's the same company one sees in the Mall lot) - and overnight (3-5a) street parking is against rules. That said, I know it's not well enforced, if at all.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have personally spoken with Kihei police, and the outsourced service security company they use (I forget the name, it's the same company one sees in the Mall lot) - and overnight (3-5a) street parking is against rules. That said, I know it's not well enforced, if at all.
Well. is it enforced "at all," and what's the ticket cost if you're found in "violation"?

And is the "secret" parking the same as what I've mentioned?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, I'm in that minority that thinks Mama's is over-rated (it's great, but it's stupid expensive and far away even if one is doing Hana one should continue home on the loop / south road).
I mean, it's good. It's overpriced but everything in Maui is overpriced.

I think that most of the food in Maui is pretty terrible, so Mama's sticks out. If there were good restaurants everywhere it would not be worth the trip.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:59 am

it sure is convenient that Morimoto is my favorite restaurant on Maui

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.