FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:15 am
canyonleo

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by iahphx
I find this secret "Kihei parking tip" thing to be silly. "Kihei" itself is obviously too far to be practical to park at. That said, on my last trip to Wailea a couple months ago, I did a little driving around to see what the alternative parking options are -- now that all the hotels in Wailea seem to be charging absurd "captive audience" parking fees since on-street parking in Wailea is generally unavailable. If you pull up a google map, you'll see that S. Kihei Rd (where there are no signs prohibiting parking) isn't that far from the Andaz. I'm not sure if there's a better option, but I was able to walk through the nearby public beach access, and then maybe 100 yards on the beach and then enter the Andaz property from the rear. I'm guessing this is the "big secret." I don't know if there's a shortcut to the hotel that doesn't involve a short walk on the beach. In a normal world, with rational hotel parking prices, you wouldn't bother with this, but as a mere Explorist, I guess I will on my next visit.

BTW, at the time, I was staying at the Grand Wailea, which is in the middle of the Wailea "strip." Sadly, I didn't see any free parking there. However, if you are staying on the opposite end of Wailea near the Fairmont, there seems to also be free parking along Kaukahi St.

FYI
Beach Access lots are barricaded closed after sunset, all cars are claimed to be towed out first. Parking on public streets is prohibited by law from 3-5a by order of Kihei police department. That said, enforcement is likely infrequent.