Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kapooncha
So I'm trying to book this on points for June 2019 and not a damn thing except 3 nights (not available starting the Saturday).

Am I missing something here?
Reserve them in three night "blocks." Then you can call in and have them link the reservation together. Not sure why they do this, but just did a quick check and the entire month of June 2019 is available. You can also book 6/9 nights, and then cancel one or two afterwards, if you only need 5 nights etc/
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Reserve them in three night "blocks." Then you can call in and have them link the reservation together. Not sure why they do this, but just did a quick check and the entire month of June 2019 is available. You can also book 6/9 nights, and then cancel one or two afterwards, if you only need 5 nights etc/
That actually worked. Now the question is use 150k Hyatt points for 6 nights or use my Marriott cert for the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort. Anyone have an opinion?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
That actually worked. Now the question is use 150k Hyatt points for 6 nights or use my Marriott cert for the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort. Anyone have an opinion?
I have only stayed at the Andaz, but the Andaz was super nice and based on walking by the Marriott was at least 300% nicer. However, it is a lot of points and if you have a Marriott cert sitting ready it probably is not a bad use. Wailea is beautiful.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't stayed at that Marriott, but the restaurant there, while it seems to change frequently, isn't bad.

But no question, the place is not at the same level as the Andaz, as the previous poster said. Not even close.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
I haven't stayed at that Marriott, but the restaurant there, while it seems to change frequently, isn't bad.

But no question, the place is not at the same level as the Andaz, as the previous poster said. Not even close.
That seemed to be impression while looking at the pictures. I guess I'll have to decide if I want to use 150k points for the Andaz. It's basically my last batch of points, especially since Chase kicked me out. 150 goes along way at various destinations around the world in Hyatt's program.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
That seemed to be impression while looking at the pictures. I guess I'll have to decide if I want to use 150k points for the Andaz. It's basically my last batch of points, especially since Chase kicked me out. 150 goes along way at various destinations around the world in Hyatt's program.
Having spent the same amount of points at the Park Hyatt Maldives last fall, it was a tough choice for us to use 150k points at the Andaz. That being said, if you like Wailea, it's expensive in general. So I wasn't too keen on shelling out $500 a night for Hawaii. That being said, not having to pay the resort fee is nice. The Andaz property is very nice though, and we had a great stay and didn't regret using the points one bit. Earn and burn.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
The Marriott is your typical ‘anywhere in world’ vanilla Marriott that just happens to be in Wailea. The Andaz is not that...
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

The Marriott is your typical ‘anywhere in world’ vanilla Marriott that just happens to be in Wailea. The Andaz is not that...
Agreed. The last two Hyatt resorts I've been to have been the Park Hyatt St Kitts and the Andaz Maui. While PH St Kitts may have been "better" in some aspects, the Andaz Maui will always be my baseline comparison when it comes to grading the best Hyatt resorts. The hard product is top notch, and the service is nearly unbeatable. It's high caliber, while maintaining a laid back and personable demeanor (across all areas from Valet, to Housekeeping, to Front Desk, to Bar).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by murphyUA
Agreed. The last two Hyatt resorts I've been to have been the Park Hyatt St Kitts and the Andaz Maui. While PH St Kitts may have been "better" in some aspects, the Andaz Maui will always be my baseline comparison when it comes to grading the best Hyatt resorts. The hard product is top notch, and the service is nearly unbeatable. It's high caliber, while maintaining a laid back and personable demeanor (across all areas from Valet, to Housekeeping, to Front Desk, to Bar).
Park Hyatt Tokyo is the best Hyatt I've ever been to. I doubt the Andaz compares which is why I sometimes have trouble agreeing to part with 25k per night when the PHT is only 5k more. That being said, I think I've settled on 10 nights in Maui. Will use my Marriott travel cert for the first 7 nights and will use that time to explore the island. The last 3 nights at the Andaz will be more chilling at the hotel time.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Park Hyatt Tokyo is the best Hyatt I've ever been to. I doubt the Andaz compares..
I think this is a apple/orange comparison from a hotel standpoint.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Park Hyatt Tokyo is the best Hyatt I've ever been to. I doubt the Andaz compares which is why I sometimes have trouble agreeing to part with 25k per night when the PHT is only 5k more. That being said, I think I've settled on 10 nights in Maui. Will use my Marriott travel cert for the first 7 nights and will use that time to explore the island. The last 3 nights at the Andaz will be more chilling at the hotel time.
A very, very different comparison with Tokyo city hotel to a Maui resort. Not everyone can get out to Tokyo to use those 30k points.

Andaz Tokyo and PH Tokyo would be neck and neck. The only major difference being older, spacious suites at PH and basically no suites for Globalists at Andaz Tokyo. Andaz Maui is a very good use of 25,000 points to me.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
A very, very different comparison with Tokyo city hotel to a Maui resort. Not everyone can get out to Tokyo to use those 30k points.

Andaz Tokyo and PH Tokyo would be neck and neck. The only major difference being older, spacious suites at PH and basically no suites for Globalists at Andaz Tokyo. Andaz Maui is a very good use of 25,000 points to me.
Seems like it was all points-based rationale in the end, not about the actual resort itself.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

Seems like it was all points-based rationale in the end, not about the actual resort itself.
Correct. All that being said, I'm going to shell out the 25k points per night for the Andaz. Everything seems to be very expensive in Hawaii so on a value basis, the 25k seems "worth" it. But I sure hope I get greatness for the 75k points.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Correct. All that being said, I'm going to shell out the 25k points per night for the Andaz. Everything seems to be very expensive in Hawaii so on a value basis, the 25k seems "worth" it. But I sure hope I get greatness for the 75k points.
HI is considered expensive. Wailea is the luxury resort area of Maui. So, shelling out points is inherent in staying there. I wouldn’t expect ‘greatness,’ but the Andaz is a significant difference between the Marriott. I would expect to pay up in cold hard cash a premium for anything at the Andaz than the Marriott though. So, your point burn qualms will only be the beginning...hey, you can always walk back to the Marriott for the value play.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:11 pm

Just a data point. I wasn't able to see 4 night availability this summer as of today. It was there yesterday. Upthread, someone mentioned checking 3-night chunks. I found my 1st 3 nights and then my 2nd 3 nights. I called in, told the rep, she had to get a supervisor, but I was able to book my 4 nights over the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.