Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:54 pm

Hey everyone!

My wife and I both signed up for the Hyatt card, giving us 2 free nights each. Yesterday, I was able to book four consecutive nights in August at the Andaz. At the time, I was told the entire week was available. Because I hadn't looked into flights yet, I only booked the four free award nights. I didn't want to transfer 75,000 points from my Chase account if I couldn't find flights that lined up with the award dates.

This morning I was able to get the flights I needed, so I called up Hyatt to book the three nights that preceded my existing four night reservation. I'm told that to use points, I need to book at least four consecutive nights. Frustrating, but the agent told me there was nothing she could do. She said I can keep checking the website to see if availability for just the three nights opens up.

This is where I'm looking for advice. The Hyatt Regency in Maui does show availability for those three nights @ 20,000 points/night. Should I book three nights there now, while checking the Andaz for points availability every so often? If something frees up, would I be able to call and move my reservation to the Andaz while transferring the extra 15,000 points needed for that stay?

Or maybe there is another path I should look into? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dan
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Croathlete
Hey everyone!

My wife and I both signed up for the Hyatt card, giving us 2 free nights each. Yesterday, I was able to book four consecutive nights in August at the Andaz. At the time, I was told the entire week was available. Because I hadn't looked into flights yet, I only booked the four free award nights. I didn't want to transfer 75,000 points from my Chase account if I couldn't find flights that lined up with the award dates.

This morning I was able to get the flights I needed, so I called up Hyatt to book the three nights that preceded my existing four night reservation. I'm told that to use points, I need to book at least four consecutive nights. Frustrating, but the agent told me there was nothing she could do. She said I can keep checking the website to see if availability for just the three nights opens up.

This is where I'm looking for advice. The Hyatt Regency in Maui does show availability for those three nights @ 20,000 points/night. Should I book three nights there now, while checking the Andaz for points availability every so often? If something frees up, would I be able to call and move my reservation to the Andaz while transferring the extra 15,000 points needed for that stay?

Or maybe there is another path I should look into? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dan
I would 1st call in house reservation and see whether they can take care of it for you. They can look and see that you will have 7 nights total. If not, I would do as you plan. Rather than losing your spot at HR (very unlikely unless sold out) when you cancel with HR to free up the points and book with Andaz, you can have customer service do it for you.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:34 pm

Haven't tried it myself, but I've seen advice here on FlyerTalk to just book the four nights as needed, and then cancel the one that you don't need later.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho
I would 1st call in house reservation and see whether they can take care of it for you. They can look and see that you will have 7 nights total. If not, I would do as you plan. Rather than losing your spot at HR (very unlikely unless sold out) when you cancel with HR to free up the points and book with Andaz, you can have customer service do it for you.
Calling the hotel worked! Thank you so much! I never would have thought to call the hotel. I'm so excited! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Calling the hotel worked! Thank you so much! I never would have thought to call the hotel. I'm so excited! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Happy it worked out for you. Will be there in August too.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
That's great! There have been a lot of bad news stories with lack of award nights at the Andaz Maui. Good to see a positive story! Enjoy! Seven nights at that property will have you spoiled.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by meecal
That's great! There have been a lot of bad news stories with lack of award nights at the Andaz Maui. Good to see a positive story! Enjoy! Seven nights at that property will have you spoiled.
I also had excellent service from in-house reservations team, changing my all points reservation over to P+C when I saw Pool Suite open up, even though P+C was not available for my dates online. ^
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pickles1107
I also had excellent service from in-house reservations team, changing my all points reservation over to P+C when I saw Pool Suite open up, even though P+C was not available for my dates online. ^
Do you think in-house reservations can work some magic and get me a pool suite for my stay? lol.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:37 am

Did 4 nights stay on points last week. Everything was great. Didn't get diamond upgrade becaz hotel was full. There was a wedding n 2 Corp events. Garden queen was OK, hardly used the room. Breakfast was really nice bt Bf items kina get repetitive. No issues getting resort activities booked via Concierge. Getting space at the beach wasn't a issue at all. Staff was always ready to help.
Bumbye bar cocktails were superb n food at Kana rest was good too. Parking option at the boat launch still going great 😀
Let me know if anyone have questions in regards to Andaz Maui.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by anubond005
Did 4 nights stay on points last week. Everything was great. Didn't get diamond upgrade becaz hotel was full. There was a wedding n 2 Corp events. Garden queen was OK, hardly used the room. Breakfast was really nice bt Bf items kina get repetitive. No issues getting resort activities booked via Concierge. Getting space at the beach wasn't a issue at all. Staff was always ready to help.
Bumbye bar cocktails were superb n food at Kana rest was good too. Parking option at the boat launch still going great 😀
Let me know if anyone have questions in regards to Andaz Maui.
I was going to write a quick review, but it was going to be exactly like yours!

5 nights last week. We must have overlapped! Partial ocean view (I paid for it). We didn't get an upgrade.

We used valet because we could not be bothered with the hassle and we wanted to feel free to have a couple of drinks in the evening.

Food at Ka'ana kitchen was probably the best in our 2 weeks in Hawaii.

Our view from the balcony:
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
We used valet because we could not be bothered with the hassle and we wanted to feel free to have a couple of drinks in the evening.
Our view from the balcony:
We decided to try it out 1st night and than decide. It was nt more than 5 mins walk by ocean so used it for the whole stay.
From ur pic looks like we were on the same wing
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by meecal
very awesome ! 7 nights is very nice
Old May 1, 2016, 1:23 pm

If i book a stay at the hotel and apply a DSU on the reseration, then add my friend's name to the reservation, will she be able to check in without me, and also receive the free breakfast?
Old May 2, 2016, 12:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

DSU's aren't transferable, so if you yourself don't plan to show up your friend could encounter some difficulties.....

Otherwise all occupants in the room you are staying, max 4, will get the Diamond benefits like free breakfast...
Old May 13, 2016, 8:40 pm

Just spoke with Anna(?) in guest services. Diamond guests receive the Breakfast Experience, which she indicated is not limited in any way. However, spa access including sauna / steam room for ALL GUESTS require a service appointment or day pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.