Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 10:21 pm

Hello, I'm staying in mid May using award nights. I had a few questions if someone has time:

1) Does anyone know if I will be charged a $40 resort fee?
2) Are there any cheapish places we can eat nearby?
3) What's the cheapest way to get to the hotel from OGG? I'm also considering getting a car, but the $30 a day really seems to kill it.
4) Any recommended activities?

Thank you!
Old May 7, 2015, 10:49 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Alexi102000
Hello, I'm staying in mid May using award nights. I had a few questions if someone has time:

3) What's the cheapest way to get to the hotel from OGG? I'm also considering getting a car, but the $30 a day really seems to kill it.

Thank you!
You will be charged the resort fee unless you booked before the fee was introduced
Cheapest way to get to hotel is with UberX but you will have to leave the airport to book it.
Take a shuttle to a rental car or off airport hotel as Uber is blocked from picking up passengers at OGG
Taxis are very expensive from OGG and parking is also pricey if you are going to rent and park at the property
The concierge are very good/helpful in assisting guests on property
I know of nothing inexpensive for dining in the given area
Perhaps others can be of assistance
Spent a fortune dining at the Four Seasons venues next door
Hotel has shuttle based on availability within a limited radius/area of the property
Good Luck! The hotel is fantastic
Old May 7, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Just out of curiosity, I can't recall another property where the resort fee was charged if it was a 100% award stay. What is the basis for this, is there a GHP rule? Just wondering how come the Andaz gets to charge it.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Just out of curiosity, I can't recall another property where the resort fee was charged if it was a 100% award stay. What is the basis for this, is there a GHP rule? Just wondering how come the Andaz gets to charge it.
Over the years there have been select properties that don't conform to Hyatt procedures,rules policies and sometimes invent their own
Some select hotels fall into the gray area such as refusing to upgrade to suites and not allowing Diamond Suite upgrades
Being we are not likely to be privy to inside discussions and negotiations to revised contract agreements between hotels and Hyatt
I guess we will have to live with it or choose other competing properties
I can say that the property is generally worth what you pay if its affordable
Old May 8, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP

Thank you!
First, search in the thread, all this is discussed!! For example:

1. It's documented that this hotel doesn't charge resort fee for award stays. If 777 is confirming to the contrary, then my understanding and what I've read upthread is obsoleted.

2. There are TONS of good mom and pop type restaurants (many ethnic, e.g. plate lunch, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. - at least that's my area of expertise) for breakfast and lunch (dinner too I suppose).

3. There is no reason to pay for parking, unless that's one's idea of "vacation splurging". PM me for nearby parking options.

4. Maui is THE activity destination (domestically), so it just depends on what you like... for example scuba, snorkeling, swimming, surfing, body surfing, boogie boarding, kite surfing, paddle boarding, mountain biking, hiking, sight seeing, shopping (can't help you with this one). Check out tripadvisor activities for details.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:40 am

Resort Fee Starts on June 1

Resort Fee Policy
Introducing a resort fee worth celebrating! Beginning April 2, 2015, a daily Resort Fee of $40 + tax will apply for new reservations for stays starting June 1, 2015 and beyond. Invigorate your stay with amenities that excite the senses and amplify your vacation experience. Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort offers the traditional amenities you expect and new offerings you won’t be able to travel without, including:

• GoPro Hero 4 camera rental
• GoPro photo & video editing lab
• Outrigger excursion (Monday – Friday)
• Stand Up Paddleboard lessons (Saturday – Sunday)
• Snorkel rental
• Yoga classes
• Pilates classes
• Stand Up Paddleboard yoga
• Single & tandem bike rental
• Single & tandem kayak rental
• Ukulele lessons
• Hula lessons
• Body board rental

Celebrating All?
I expect all of you to be excellent Ukulele players and Hula dancers by checkout

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 8, 2015 at 9:46 am
Old May 8, 2015, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
First, search in the thread, all this is discussed!! For example:

1. It's documented that this hotel doesn't charge resort fee for award stays. If 777 is confirming to the contrary, then my understanding and what I've read upthread is obsoleted.

2. There are TONS of good mom and pop type restaurants (many ethnic, e.g. plate lunch, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. - at least that's my area of expertise) for breakfast and lunch (dinner too I suppose).

3. There is no reason to pay for parking, unless that's one's idea of "vacation splurging". PM me for nearby parking options.

4. Maui is THE activity destination (domestically), so it just depends on what you like... for example scuba, snorkeling, swimming, surfing, body surfing, boogie boarding, kite surfing, paddle boarding, mountain biking, hiking, sight seeing, shopping (can't help you with this one). Check out tripadvisor activities for details.
Two sources have confirmed now at Gold Passport that award bookings are subject to he new resort fee staring on June 1
One even called the front desk directly at the hotel
I believe the information to now be accurate to the best of my ability
Having said that I've seen Hyatt mess up the terms/facts many times in my decades. Hopefully it was communicated correctly
Old May 8, 2015, 9:53 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sam_goh
While I think that the $40 resort fee AND the $30 valet parking fee combined is really too much, I haven't seen that this property violates any Hyatt T&Cs (no P&C is disappointing but that rate plan is at the discretion of the property and the change in breakfast is pretty disappointing but the reduced buffet does comply with Gold Passport Diamond rules). I would not expect them to charge a resort fee on totally award stays since that is the rule. We won't see confirmation reports for a while though.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:57 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Two sources have confirmed now at Gold Passport that award bookings are subject to he new resort fee staring on June 1
Having said that I've seen Hyatt mess up the terms/facts many times in my decades. Hopefully it was communicated correctly
I wouldn't give much credibility to the front desk of the property.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I called HGP about a month ago, regarding my next Wailea stay (this Fall), and they told me that award stays don't incur the resort fee. I'm pretty sure I documented that upthread. Not that it's true, who knows unless someone can report here come June, but we have conflicting data points.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:46 am

Thank you!
Resort fee begins June 1, I believe.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:52 am

I called HGP about a month ago, regarding my next Wailea stay (this Fall), and they told me that award stays don't incur the resort fee. I'm pretty sure I documented that upthread. Not that it's true, who knows unless someone can report here come June, but we have conflicting data points.
Called myself to the front desk
Now they said no resort fee at the property on awards
I will reach out to the revenue manager on property and report back with an update
Old May 8, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I'm curious about your ability to quickly source information at HGP. Are you in a travel-related business or is this something an average guest should know how to do?
Old May 8, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
While I think that the $40 resort fee AND the $30 valet parking fee combined is really too much, I haven't seen that this property violates any Hyatt T&Cs (no P&C is disappointing but that rate plan is at the discretion of the property and the change in breakfast is pretty disappointing but the reduced buffet does comply with Gold Passport Diamond rules). I would not expect them to charge a resort fee on totally award stays since that is the rule. We won't see confirmation reports for a while though.
Based on my own and others posted experiences on this board this hotel regularly violates the T&C regarding assignment of rooms to Diamonds (as does the Hyatt Regency Waikiki):

3. Diamond members will receive the best available room (excluding suites), including Regency Club or Grand Club rooms, at the time of check-in.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:13 pm

Hyatt will be reaching out to the hotel for the final conclusion to the question
Should have an official follow up hopefully sometime today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.