Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

50 Unique Hotels Visited – 1 Free Night Gift (Targetted) - including poll - Over?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Did you receive the 25/50/75/100 unique property bonus?
30.23%
23.26%
11.63%
11.63%
Didn't receive after milestones passed
44.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Markie
Milestone gifts as reported by Flyertalkers.

25 hotels - 5,000 points
50 hotels - 10,000 points
75 hotels - 1 free night anywhere
100 hotels - 1 free night anywhere

500 points for a game. Guess the order of the hotels visited.

Be aware that this is a targeted promotion. Not everyone receives it, and who is selected is a secret guarded by Hyatt.
Print Wikipost

50 Unique Hotels Visited – 1 Free Night Gift (Targetted) - including poll - Over?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by baliktad
In case it wasn't clear, Jeff is not the CEO of Hyatt. Jeff is the VP of Hyatt's loyalty program known as Gold Passport. Obviously he doesn't control every aspect of Hyatt's operations.

Jeff is one of the most open, honest, and forthright loyalty program execs around. The fact that he's unwilling or unable to post the criteria used doesn't make me think any less of him or Gold Passport; it just means that the criteria used are sensitive. Perhaps it's people with a high average revenue per night over the last year. Perhaps it's people who tend to stay more in full-service or international properties, or those who tend to hoard their points, or use them in ways that cost Hyatt less. The point is that Hyatt's budget for this surprise was limited, they picked some bucket of people, and they don't want to alienate the people who weren't picked by informing everyone of the specific criteria.

In some ways, the criteria might be embarrassing to Hyatt or the guest if it were revealed. It could be people who are most "profitable" - those who pay published rates for suites, or who tend to spend large amounts on food & beverage, or who book nonrefundable rates and then don't actually show up. Imagine the reaction if Hyatt announced that they were rewarding those who averaged $500 or more in spa profits last year.

Further, revealing the criteria now sets up a de facto expectation in the future. Imagine that this year, Hyatt has a budget of (say) $500K, and each free night they hand out costs them $250. So they make a list of the people who have stayed at 50 properties, sort it by revenue or profit or some other metric, and hand out free nights to the top 2000 people on the list. Those people all have an average revenue of $350/night or above. If Hyatt reveals this, then regardless of what they say, people who average $350/night next year will expect to receive an award and be disappointed if they don't make the cut.

In loyalty programs and in life, I believe the formula for success and happiness is setting your expectations appropriately. This award was not announced or publicized in any way, so there's no way that anyone here should have had any expectation of receiving a milestone award. By delivering an award to some people, some expectations were exceeded. But no one can rightfully claim to be disappointed because nothing was ever promised. I didn't get the UA 50K bonus, and I didn't get a free milestone night. But I still stay at Hyatt and I'm still pleased with Gold Passport because the philosophy here seems to be to constantly delight by under-promising and over-delivering. This is just one example of that, and I'm somewhat surprised that there are those that are dismayed at such a generous surprise gesture.
Hmmm... so by that logic, say Oprah Winfrey were to have one of her free giveaways... it is not announced to the guests, but there are 600 people in the audience. 550 of them get a free car, and 50 get nothing. The 50 who got nothing have no basis for complaint simply because "nothing was ever promised" prior, and is therefore a "generous surprise gesture?" Sorry, that is bogus.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:35 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I've stayed at 62 different Hyatt properties. No surprise email.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
Hmmm... so by that logic, say Oprah Winfrey were to have one of her free giveaways... it is not announced to the guests, but there are 600 people in the audience. 550 of them get a free car, and 50 get nothing. The 50 who got nothing have no basis for complaint simply because "nothing was ever promised" prior, and is therefore a "generous surprise gesture?" Sorry, that is bogus.
A better analogy would be some audiences getting what they expected (a talk show) and some audiences getting much more as an unexpected surprise (merchandise and trips).

It's fine to discuss badly run programs, where inappropriate expectations are created or not met. It's much less excusable to malign a program or its leaders simply due to jealousy.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
A better analogy would be some audiences getting what they expected (a talk show) and some audiences getting much more as an unexpected surprise (merchandise and trips).

It's fine to discuss badly run programs, where inappropriate expectations are created or not met. It's much less excusable to malign a program or its leaders simply due to jealousy.
It has nothing to do with jealousy... it has everything to do with being valued. I am not valued, or they take for granted my loyalty, and that is something I won't tolerate.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: Southwest-Companion Pass, Hilton - Gold, Hyatt - Diamond
2 down 48 to go
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rickjanak
2 down 48 to go
Unless you know what the secret sauce is, don't expect anything! Is another BS promo Jeff is throwing out, just like UA 50.

Jeff is one of the most open, honest, and forthright loyalty program execs around.

This is not jealousy, is about openess of the program. Why keep your loyal members guessing? What is next... 50 nights plus secret sauce to be the new criteria for obtaining Diamond? I guess Jeff can do what he wants but this really sucks!!! They should hire the starwood loyaty program VP where things are done "open, honest, and forthright "!

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Apr 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Unless you know what the secret sauce is, don't expect anything! Is another BS promo Jeff is throwing out, just like UA 50.

This is not jealousy, is about openess of the program. Why keep your loyal members guessing? What is next... 50 nights plus secret sauce is now the criteria for obtaining Diamond? I guess Jeff can do what he wants but this really sucks!!! They should hire the starwood loyaty program VP where things are done "open, honest, and forthright "!
Suggesting that a VP should be fired while trying to somehow get your way on this topic seems an odd way to go about things.

Pretty upset on that 1 night loss after what amounts for most people to hundreds of nights of stays at Hyatt (assuming most people dont do 1-off stays every time to hit all 50 in 50 nights).
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
92 unique properties since 2000. Diamond every year since 2008 and got neither the UA promotion or this. Toss in the crappy current promotion and Hyatt can probably figure out why I am keeping my Platinum Starwood status first before I nail down my Diamond. Find the loyalty program that values my loyalty the most and spend my money with them. That's my secret sauce.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
This is not jealousy, is about openess of the program. Why keep your loyal members guessing? What is next... 50 nights plus secret sauce is now the criteria for obtaining Diamond? I guess Jeff can do what he wants but this really sucks!!! They should hire the starwood loyaty program VP where things are done "open, honest, and forthright "!
It's unbelievable that someone heading a loyalty program can be so stupid that he can't realize that not being open about the rules for any promotion or special offer is a bad thing. It's just like all the feedback they got for the previous "promotions" is simply ignored. And then calling it "a secret sauce", what are we... 4 years old.

But it's just like what is happening with the website redesign or the repeated downtime of the booking engine. Simply ignore any negative feedback.

Even if these promotions would be determined by something like a lottery where there are only a limited number of winners. Knowing why you are missing out (or not) makes all the difference in my opinion.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
I think it's pretty obvious that HGP doesn't really care about the negative responses to these "gifts" without criteria.

Don't you remember their "promise" of more to come after the 50K UA bonus gift ? Well, they surely delivered.......more confusion to their loyalty program and purpose.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:12 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

^
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:59 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by missydarlin
^
I agree.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond

Except when you all pay the same price, and show up for 50 shows, and each time a bonus is given to the "loyal" you are always left out.

Makes perfect sense.

Agreed on your second statement. But as eagl70 said it so well, "Find the loyalty program that values my loyalty". If you were the leader of a loyalty program, wouldn't it concern you to here statements like this ?

Last edited by soonerfanatic; Apr 22, 2013 at 7:40 pm
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:58 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Except when you all pay the same price, and show up for 50 shows, and each time a bonus is given to the "loyal" you are always left out.

Makes perfect sense.

Agreed on your second statement. But as eagl70 said it so well, "Find the loyalty program that values my loyalty". If you were the leader of a loyalty program, wouldn't it concern you to here statements like this ?
except nobody pays the same price.

If you don't feel that Hyatt lives up to its published benefits for your loyalty, then by all means, take them to task, or look for another chain who will better "value your loyalty".

But to expect a business to constantly explain to you what their unpublished benefit criteria is? ... well that would kind of ruin the premise of the unpublished benefit now, wouldn't it?

Am I disappointed that we weren't the chosen ones for either of these two surprises? Of course. But Hyatt has treated my loyalty well ... and i'm not going to begrudge those who received, nor the decision to have given, the surprises.

While flyertalk is an amazing resource for sharing tips and experiences, it also leads to feelings of entitlement and an almost crippling need to "make sure we get ours...every single time".

Sometimes these threads are like the equivalent of "but mommy, her piece is bigger... its not faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiirrr".

The end result isn't going to that you get a bigger piece, it's that mommy just isn't going to bake any more cakes.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by missydarlin
But to expect a business to constantly explain to you what their unpublished benefit criteria is? ... well that would kind of ruin the premise of the unpublished benefit now, wouldn't it?
Completely ignoring that the real question is why it's unpublished at all, it's clear that's where all the negative reactions are pointed at.

And it also has nothing to do with the rest of the GP benefits. I'm quite sure most are still finding them to be very worth while. That makes it all the more painful to see that communicating to customers seems to be so lacking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.