Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:15 am

Anyone have recent data points on upgrade success? Looking at an upcoming award stay as an Explorist
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Any updates on adding heaters to the plunge pools in suites? Water was very cold last time we were there. The property keeps talking about adding heaters but havent heard anything on this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:25 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Week with Kids - Here or Andaz Papagayo?

We're planning on a week trip with the kids (6 and under) and are deciding between here and Andaz Papagayo. If here, I'd book the Plunge Pool Rooftop Deluxe Suite. At Andaz I'd book a base room for half the price and use a TSU.

Is there an obvious answer for which we should do given that we're with kids? I'm somewhat leaning towards Andaz as it seems like PH might get boring for the kids after a week. On the other hand, having the huge private deck and plunge pool at PH is attractive as they can go wild without disturbing anybody else. Thoughts?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hp12c
We're planning on a week trip with the kids (6 and under) and are deciding between here and Andaz Papagayo. If here, I'd book the Plunge Pool Rooftop Deluxe Suite. At Andaz I'd book a base room for half the price and use a TSU.

Is there an obvious answer for which we should do given that we're with kids? I'm somewhat leaning towards Andaz as it seems like PH might get boring for the kids after a week. On the other hand, having the huge private deck and plunge pool at PH is attractive as they can go wild without disturbing anybody else. Thoughts?
Thr Andaz has several suites with its own pool.
Dependng on where you depart from St. Kitts may be two flights. Getting to CR may be more convenient.
Not sure what St Kiits or CR entry requirements are in terms of covid. I think Papagayo also gives you a couple free tests to get home.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold
If you're going to book a "premium" suite, check out the standard room rates and use the 9k point per night to upgrade into them.

PH is much nicer than the Andaz. Not even in the same league of hotels. I'm not sure that actually translates into a better kid destination though. Have you looked into Ziva as I think it might be more kid centric? (albeit I've never stayed here... just a thought).

The main pools at the PH are not heated for what its worth. The water is somewhat shallow so the sun does a fairly good job at heating it (plus 2-3 G&Ts also help).

Nearly all Caribbean/Mexico Hyatts are offering free COVID tests on departure. You do however have to get tested before arriving to St Kitts on your own dime.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:19 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by mbmd
If you're going to book a "premium" suite, check out the standard room rates and use the 9k point per night to upgrade into them.

PH is much nicer than the Andaz. Not even in the same league of hotels. I'm not sure that actually translates into a better kid destination though. Have you looked into Ziva as I think it might be more kid centric? (albeit I've never stayed here... just a thought).

The main pools at the PH are not heated for what its worth. The water is somewhat shallow so the sun does a fairly good job at heating it (plus 2-3 G&Ts also help).

Nearly all Caribbean/Mexico Hyatts are offering free COVID tests on departure. You do however have to get tested before arriving to St Kitts on your own dime.
For my dates, it’s actually better to book the Prive third night free rate and just pay outright for the suite that upgrades into the plunge pool suite than it is to pay the standard rate and then add 9k points on top of it.

I haven’t looked into Ziva as I’m working under the assumption that it’s not as nice as Andaz (and of course lower quality than PH).

I agree with you that PH being a nicer resort doesn’t necessarily translate into being better for the kids. Frankly the only thing really keeping PH in the running is the plunge pool suite, but you’re right - maybe I should not worry about using a TSU at Andaz and just book into the plunge pool suite there.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
For my dates, it’s actually better to book the Prive third night free rate and just pay outright for the suite that upgrades into the plunge pool suite than it is to pay the standard rate and then add 9k points on top of it.

I haven’t looked into Ziva as I’m working under the assumption that it’s not as nice as Andaz (and of course lower quality than PH).

I agree with you that PH being a nicer resort doesn’t necessarily translate into being better for the kids. Frankly the only thing really keeping PH in the running is the plunge pool suite, but you’re right - maybe I should not worry about using a TSU at Andaz and just book into the plunge pool suite there.
If it is just you and your significant other, I'd say PH everyday of the week.

The cons for kids at the PH are the:
1. Food options (which is actually a huge pro if it is just you and your husband/wife as most of the food is more fine dining)
2. Lack of a substantial beach. I haven't been to the Andaz but a close friend stayed there in one of their upper tier suites (Andaz Large Suite) this past Jan as a globe and said the place was sort of dated with nothing really to write home about (their beach is also very meh).

As a data point for the PH, I booked a cash healthcare rate into the beachside suite as a globe at $189 a night (I know... crazy deal). Was then upgraded to the ocean view suite. Was offered the plunge pool suite for $200 additional per night but turned it down because occupancy was fairly low and it seemed kind of redundant when no one was at the regular pool that provided waiter/waitress service.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by mbmd
As a data point for the PH, I booked a cash healthcare rate into the beachside suite as a globe at $189 a night (I know... crazy deal). Was then upgraded to the ocean view suite. Was offered the plunge pool suite for $200 additional per night but turned it down because occupancy was fairly low and it seemed kind of redundant when no one was at the regular pool that provided waiter/waitress service.
Looking at doing the same with my wife's healthcare status + my globalist.

So did you book the basic king, and then use a suite upgrade to beachside suite? And then upgraded to oceanview at checkin?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
What's the consensus on the right amount of time at this property? Would a 4-5 night trip be too short given (and correct me if I am wrong) that you cannot leave the property for the first 7-days and then only via schedule tours once tested negative?

TIA
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
What's the consensus on the right amount of time at this property? Would a 4-5 night trip be too short given (and correct me if I am wrong) that you cannot leave the property for the first 7-days and then only via schedule tours once tested negative?

TIA
On the contrary, I have thought about a 3 or 4 day weekend precisely because you can't leave.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261
Looking at doing the same with my wife's healthcare status + my globalist.

So did you book the basic king, and then use a suite upgrade to beachside suite? And then upgraded to oceanview at checkin?
I was able to book directly into the oceanview suite with the $189 healthcare rate. Globalist comp upgrade to the ocean view suite. I would have used a TSU otherwise though as I have way too many of them.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2

TIA
Not sure theres much to do off property even in non-COVID times. This isn't Singapore or HK. Purely pool/beach vacation. (Sorry if I'm offending anyone).

Did 6 nights and it was good. 4/5 likely good as well unless you want more R&R. 7+ nights is way too many.

Just an FYI for anyone thinking about this: St. Kitts requires test on departure regardless of how long you are there so even if the US doesn't require testing on re-entry (stays less than 72hrs), St Kitts will still require it to access the airport. So theres no real way to circumvent the re-entry testing requirement.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:18 pm

Hoping someone who has done this before can lend me some insight here. I have a standard room booked at the healthcare worker 189 rate for 5 nights in may. originally i was planning on just crossing my fingers on a globalist upgrade and seeing what I got, but the suites with plunge pools were starting to look really tempting and I decided to see if I could use 9,000 points per night to upgrade to a premium suite.

When I reached out to Hyatt, I was told i could upgrade to a a plunge pool suite, but that it would cost me 9,000 points per night, as well as a room rate increase to $925 per night, plus taxes and fees. put aside for a second that those rooms are bookable for less than that outright for my dates, I was very surprised as I thought the points were all that was require to book a suite upgrade if one was available. When I asked for clarification, i was told that not just at the park hyatt st kitts, but that at any hyatt globally, in order to upgrade to a a premium suite the cost was 9,000 points on top of the cash rate for the next room type down, whatever that is at each property, not a standard room.

Did I misunderstand how a points upgrade works? if it is as stated above its not very useful. curious if anyone can offer an insight here.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:29 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by BOSflyer87
Hoping someone who has done this before can lend me some insight here. I have a standard room booked at the healthcare worker 189 rate for 5 nights in may. originally i was planning on just crossing my fingers on a globalist upgrade and seeing what I got, but the suites with plunge pools were starting to look really tempting and I decided to see if I could use 9,000 points per night to upgrade to a premium suite.

When I reached out to Hyatt, I was told i could upgrade to a a plunge pool suite, but that it would cost me 9,000 points per night, as well as a room rate increase to $925 per night, plus taxes and fees. put aside for a second that those rooms are bookable for less than that outright for my dates, I was very surprised as I thought the points were all that was require to book a suite upgrade if one was available. When I asked for clarification, i was told that not just at the park hyatt st kitts, but that at any hyatt globally, in order to upgrade to a a premium suite the cost was 9,000 points on top of the cash rate for the next room type down, whatever that is at each property, not a standard room.

Did I misunderstand how a points upgrade works? if it is as stated above its not very useful. curious if anyone can offer an insight here.
From the T&Cs (the red, italicized text is the pertinent portion):
1. Suite Upgrade Awards: A Room Upgrade Award for suite accommodations (“Suite Upgrade Award”) may not be redeemed at all Hyatt hotel or resort locations and may have minimum room-type and rate requirements for the underlying reservation, including as described below. Suite Upgrade Awards are only valid for the type of suite specified by the applicable award at the time of redemption and only at participating Hyatt hotels and resorts that offer that type of suite accommodations (subject to the exclusions set forth below). In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt resort, a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, Dreamcatcher or Sunrise room, etc.). In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt hotel (that is not a resort), a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a standard room. (PLEASE NOTE: The distinction between a Hyatt resort and a Hyatt hotel may not always be obvious when making reservations online and Members considering use of a Suite Upgrade Award are encouraged to make their reservation by calling a Hyatt Global Contact Center. (Please visit hyatt.com for contact information.)) There are a limited number of guest rooms available for Suite Upgrade Awards. Suite Upgrade Awards may be valid for Standard Suites or Premium Suites as identified during the award-redemption process. Where a Suite Upgrade Award does not expressly specify the type of suite for which it is redeemable, the award will be redeemable only for Standard Suites unless Hyatt, in its sole discretion, permits otherwise. Unless otherwise indicated, the point requirement for a Suite Upgrade Award is on a per-night basis. Suite Upgrade Awards count toward the night for which the award was redeemed, regardless of the length of stay. Suite Upgrade Awards are not valid at any of the Suite Award Ineligible Properties or Hyatt Residence Club hotels or resorts. In addition, Suite Upgrade Awards for Premium Suites are not valid at Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara hotels and resorts or at any hotel and resort that does not have Premium Suites (even if such hotel or resort has Specialty, Premier, Presidential or Diplomatic Suite or similar suite categories). Suite Upgrade Awards for Premium Suites may be booked only by contacting a Hyatt Global Contact Center. (Please see hyatt.com for contact information.)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:40 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BOSflyer87

What you were told isn't correct.

Here's what the T&Cs say ...

"In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt resort, a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, Dreamcatcher or Sunrise room, etc.). In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt hotel (that is not a resort), a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a standard room."

I don't know what's considered a "deluxe room" at PH St Kitts, but I'd guess it's at least an Ocean View room and priced at maybe 3x your current rate. If you're willing to pay that rate, contact Hyatt again, preferably through your MHC or the twitter team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.