Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Going for my third time this year! I love this hotel! I just wish it wasnt cat 7. Its crazy expensive compared to cash rates.
airfare is also crazy expensive from Ny. I'm guessing your probably in fla if you went 3 times this year.
Would love to try hotel but airfare is usually 1k and not non stop.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yes its super expensive. I use british airways avios to book the ticket. I recommend you do the same!
Old May 17, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Just got back from our 5 night stay at the PH St. Kitts. Hotel must have been 20-30% occupied, and we were basically the only ones there with children (crossed over with two other families on the front and back ends of our visit).

We had great weather and the property was just perfect. Everyone was super friendly, the food was great for the most part (service was a little slow...combination of island time and I’m sure less staff given we were there during an off-week), and the rooms, views...etc. were all wonderful in every way. So many have provided feedback here that I could echo, but I wanted to talk about our experience with children at the resort, and staying the Penthouse Suite.

Staying with kids, the hotel catered very well to families in every way except...room choices! The 2 queen set up is always adequate for a standard room, but if you have young kids who need an earlier bed time, having a closing door is always a priority for us. This is where suites come in, and I love WoH for it’s suite upgrade options, and generally the properties for their selections of suites. PH St. Kitts has TONS of suites, most of them Jr. Suites, but many with separate living and sleeping areas which is what we find to be the best setup for our family.

So, for a property with so many suites, I’m really surprised they didn’t set up furniture and/or other options better to provide for families of 4 (or even 5). With a 4 and 6 year old, we can always do a king suite with a pull-out sofa at most places, but here, there are no pull-out sofas. Our Penthouse Suite was spectacular, more space than we needed in every way, but we still had a weird compromise with the sleeping arrangements. We fit two roll-away beds, which was great, but the curtains in the room did not fully close (separation due to beam in the ceiling), so the kids were up at sunrise every morning, and that is NOT typical for them as they loooove to sleep. Oddly enough there was also a gap in the black out curtains in the master bedroom. This may have just been a simple screw up, but is an odd mistake for a hotel of this caliber, especially in a room that goes for $2,800/night during high season. I don’t suspect the standard rooms have this issue, as the windows do not span the entire floor of the building like they do here. Small details, but something that could really bother some folks, especially when staying in a Penthouse Suite.

We got a great rate using Hyatt Prive through Cruiseo (thank you James!), and it included breakfast (not a Globalist so this mattered to me), 4th night free and the upgrade from PH Executive Suite to Penthouse Suite. Total of $400 in room credits as well, which we cruised through easily over 5 days with 2 adults and 2 children.

We made use of the kids club, though it was only open from 10-2 which seemed a little weak on hours. That said, it may be because were were practically the only family there and the hours are longer during peak times. The sitters were SO sweet, and even my shy 4 year old took to them right away and had so much fun with all that there is to offer. Given there is no charge for the kids club, I see this as a MAJOR bonus for families at the property, particularly if hours are extended during peak season.

Outside of the resort we had a special treat and took an afternoon sail with Captain Coconut (Ben) and his wife Niki. Look them up on Trip Advisor and Facebook, and reach out through WhatsApp or e-mail. I communicated with Ben a few weeks in advance, we picked a day to target (weather pending), worked out details and pricing in advance of our arrival, and had an amazing afternoon sail and swim leaving from the Salt Plage (5 minute drive from hotel) and returning there for dinner at sunset. My kids had an absolute blast and it was a real highlight of our trip.

I would love to go back to the PH St. Kitts, though flights are a pain from NYC during off-peak, and only Saturday non-stops during peak, so not sure if we’ll do this again or somewhere else next year. Point redemption value during holiday periods is pretty good, though, given room rates plus tax start to approach $800/night for standard room.

59Impala and sch_flyer like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Pool Experience:

Wanted to offer my 2 cents on the pool experience. We literally spent the entire day(s) in the pool, both the main pool and the plunge pool in our Penthouse Suite. Honestly, to me, the water was PERFECT. I did use the adult pool once, and while it may have been slightly cooler, I still thought it was perfect.

I come from the northeast where pools don’t get to proper temperature until August, so maybe it’s my own experience/preference, and I am also one who hates pools that are too warm (e.g. Ritz Carleton Naples...was there in March and I literally had to get out after a few minutes because it was uncomfortably warm...I want refreshment, not a bathtub!)

Old May 21, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Gang - we are going this July for 5 nights. First time to the island. Looking for ides for family activities with older children. Also curious if worth renting a car or not. There are 5 of us. Guessing Uber Black is not an option. Thanks Much
Old May 21, 2019, 10:45 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Milesbuilder
Gang - we are going this July for 5 nights. First time to the island. Looking for ides for family activities with older children. Also curious if worth renting a car or not. There are 5 of us. Guessing Uber Black is not an option. Thanks Much
if you can drive on the left hand side, then renting a car is an option. We did so on our Feb stay. driving round the island is done on a one day trip. You can drive to the city for shopping, food, etc.as prices at the PH are high.
Also, there are a couple of nice spots near the hotel. e.g. Salt Plage for sunset dinner and drinks, but a car is required to get there.

Parking is free for resort guests, you can rent from AVIS via the Concierge and AVIS deliver the car to the hotel, if you just want to rent for a couple of days.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jun 1, 2019 at 11:36 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 7:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Milesbuilder
Going there in June for a week with the kids, and reserved a car through Thrifty - they are the only rental place that extends the rental to Nevis, so you can drop your car at the ferry on St. Kitts and they give you one on Nevis when you get off the ferry. Hertz has cheaper rates, but does not have the "Nevis perk". Having been bored out of our minds at Andaz Mayakoba without a car, it's definitely something that's a must for us. To echo 59Impala - As long as you can drive on the left (and possibly deal with a manual), it should give you the freedom to roam around the island(s), and not be a captive to Park Hyatt.

Not sure there's anything like this on St Kitts, but on Turks and Caicos, some rental agencies recommend to leave the car completely empty, unlocked, and windows rolled down any time you park to deter theft. No one is going to steal the car, but break-ins to steal things are supposedly common (not necessarily on St. Kitts though) - https://onemileatatime.com/keep-car-rental-unlocked/. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I finally got around to putting my review on FT. Here is the link to my thoughts on my past stay at the Park Hyatt St. Kitt's. https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-harbour-2223
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Thinking of a 5 night stay here in September. Since it's hurricane season, they have some nice rates, including an All-Inclusive rate. Beachside King: $565, Park Suite: $610, Beachside Suite: $660. The rate description: All Inclusive package - Stay Dates: 22JUL19-31OCT19 - Tax Excluded - Unlimited dining and house beer, wine and non-premium liquor at Fisherman's Village, The Great House, Rampart Pool Bar, and Fleming's Bar.

Non inclusive rates are about $200 cheaper, so there is a $200 per room premium for all inclusive. Seems like a decent deal, since meals and drinks would probably exceed $200 per day (we enjoy a few poolside drinks on vacation and wine at dinner). Of course the major downside of all inclusive is feeling captive to the resort. It doesn't look like there is much within walking distance anyway and we would not be renting a car. Any thoughts on this promo?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
Thinking of a 5 night stay here in September. Since it's hurricane season, they have some nice rates, including an All-Inclusive rate. Beachside King: $565, Park Suite: $610, Beachside Suite: $660. The rate description: All Inclusive package - Stay Dates: 22JUL19-31OCT19 - Tax Excluded - Unlimited dining and house beer, wine and non-premium liquor at Fisherman's Village, The Great House, Rampart Pool Bar, and Fleming's Bar.

Non inclusive rates are about $200 cheaper, so there is a $200 per room premium for all inclusive. Seems like a decent deal, since meals and drinks would probably exceed $200 per day (we enjoy a few poolside drinks on vacation and wine at dinner). Of course the major downside of all inclusive is feeling captive to the resort. It doesn't look like there is much within walking distance anyway and we would not be renting a car. Any thoughts on this promo?
Seems quite expensive to be honest - we were there for 8 nights in June, and they had their 4th night free + $300 credit deal, so effective room rate for a standard King/Two Queen room was $250/night, plus $75 a day credit. Although I suppose if you have to pay for all meals and drinks on property, you would spend at least $200/day per couple - breakfast alone will be at least $75 if you are not a Globalist, and dinner prices are quite high as well.

It is a beautiful resort, but depending on how long you're staying, you may get bored of their food options - menus are quite limited. There are two restaurants within walking distance, as well as a coconut farm that serves breakfast food, so you can eat at least some meals off-property even without a car.

Edit: Just looked at some random dates in September, and the 4th night free rate looks to still be available, although a bit more expensive than in June ($270-ish). It is also bookable through Prive with an additional $100 credit, and free breakfast.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:54 pm

Breakfast has changed

I’m here right now exactly a year since last time.

one big change is that breakfast is all al a cart. No buffet. Not sure if this is a off season thing or not.

low season

hotel about 25% full

weather is fantastic

pool is warm

rent car from thrifty. It’s the only car rental located AT the airport. also very nice guys won’t try to sell you insurance you don’t need.

you do not have to buy the $25 driving permit if you bring your international drivers permit from AAA.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:22 pm

We were there on July 4th week and the buffet was still in effect.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pointsloop
I’m here right now exactly a year since last time.

one big change is that breakfast is all al a cart. No buffet. Not sure if this is a off season thing or not.

low season

hotel about 25% full

weather is fantastic

pool is warm

rent car from thrifty. It’s the only car rental located AT the airport. also very nice guys won’t try to sell you insurance you don’t need.

you do not have to buy the $25 driving permit if you bring your international drivers permit from AAA.
‘We are here also (Since Thursday). It’s really quiet..almost too quiet (except for the honeymooners holding hands around the property!). It’s nice when you don’t have to fight for a beach/pool chair but the low occupancy has a negative effect on the food. Both meals in fisherman’s village were disappointing. The octopus appetizer and the grilled lobster tails were both tough which means they are probably not able to maintain the fresh standards when so few are dining here. The dinner in the great house was better since we both ordered the special which we assumed would be fresh. They were both good. We’ve been fortunate with the weather. Jerry passed far enough north to have no effect here except a few passing clouds and a nice breeze today.

The service is top notch which helps to makes up for the disappointing food. The only disappointment there was the lack of recognition for my wife’s birthday yesterday. I emailed the GM before arriving, informed the front desk, and mentioned it to dining staff and still nothing. The front desk said they will arrange for a nice celebration but nada. It’s not that big a deal. We weren’t looking for anything crazy but a special dessert and an acknowledgement would have been nice. Oh well, looking forward to a few more days of relaxation here..especially with the excellent and entertaining bar staff. Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:34 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The only disappointment there was the lack of recognition for my wife’s birthday yesterday. I emailed the GM before arriving, informed the front desk, and mentioned it to dining staff and still nothing. The front desk said they will arrange for a nice celebration but nada. It’s not that big a deal. We weren’t looking for anything crazy but a special dessert and an acknowledgement would have been nice. Oh well, looking forward to a few more days of relaxation here..especially with the excellent and entertaining bar staff. Cheers.
That’s pretty poor service for any luxury property, actually.

I’d recommend asking for the senior manager on premises, explain the food shortcomings and the fact that the GM, front desk, and dining staff all missed what should have been an obvious celebration and opportunity to impress. IMO the hotel should comp some meals that were disappointing, but they most certainly should comp a fantastic birthday dinner make-over after the poor handling so far—complete with a surprise cake or special amenity in the room and rose petal bath waiting for her, too!

They need to deliver. But if you don’t hold them accountable by telling them of their fails, they’ll not have the chance to make up for their fails.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:06 am

‘We are here also (Since Thursday). It’s really quiet..almost too quiet (except for the honeymooners holding hands around the property!). It’s nice when you don’t have to fight for a beach/pool chair but the low occupancy has a negative effect on the food. Both meals in fisherman’s village were disappointing. The octopus appetizer and the grilled lobster tails were both tough which means they are probably not able to maintain the fresh standards when so few are dining here. The dinner in the great house was better since we both ordered the special which we assumed would be fresh. They were both good. We’ve been fortunate with the weather. Jerry passed far enough north to have no effect here except a few passing clouds and a nice breeze today.

The service is top notch which helps to makes up for the disappointing food. The only disappointment there was the lack of recognition for my wife’s birthday yesterday. I emailed the GM before arriving, informed the front desk, and mentioned it to dining staff and still nothing. The front desk said they will arrange for a nice celebration but nada. It’s not that big a deal. We weren’t looking for anything crazy but a special dessert and an acknowledgement would have been nice. Oh well, looking forward to a few more days of relaxation here..especially with the excellent and entertaining bar staff. Cheers.

thats unusual. We are here again for my wife’s birthday and they left us a huge choco cake in our room with a bottle of red wine. That’s on top of an upgrade to Nevis Suite.

we’ve only eaten breakfast and the Saturday night buffet. So far the food has been great. All you can eat lobster for $65 is a steal for someone who can eat a lot of rock lobster.

don’t really eat lunch. Just snacks from stores we picked up

rest of the time we eat at spice mill.

We did the chefs table dinner last year and it was fantastic and we will do it again this year. Not only is the food great but it’s a great value for what you get. A private dinner in the kitchen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.