Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Orange County (Anaheim) CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: itsaboutthejourney
General
  • Parking:
    • Valet: $24/night
    • Self: $24/night
    • Street: on Chapman Ave and in neighborhood starting about 2 blocks west of property
      • Caution: Note signs for street sweeping days.
  • Suggested Room Locations
    • Facing Disneyland fireworks, towards the north and west.

Globalist Benefits
  • Breakfast: Buffet or a la carte for up to 4 at TusCA restaurant

Onsite links (hotel info, menus, ordering, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Orange County (Anaheim) CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Firewind
It could have the effect of reducing tips to drivers similar to baggage fees seriously reducing tips to skycaps at airports. But then, I'm not sure many people ever tip for the ride between the hotel and the park.

And further to bbbb's comment, this is more of the travel industry's growing "a la carte pricing" (aka fee) fad.
What is the fuss about in the first place?

A hotel is in business to provide services and make a profit. It's one thing to complain about corrupt corporate practices; it's quite another to complain about a hotel providing an honest service at a price that people see fit to pay. These revenues pay for employees, for outside vendors and their employees, for taxes that fund government services and to compensate the shareholders who risk their capital.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
[email protected]

I spoke with Eric and he said to email your comments and suggestions to him directly. Yes, I asked him in person if this was okay to post, and he said he reads and handles all guest surveys anyway.

Pleae be brief and succinct in your emails, we don't want to bombard him, but the message should be the suggestion to comp the shuttle for diamonds and express disappointment in the change.

He said if enough people feel this way, they will
Makw changes at their next meeting.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
With a $4 shuttle fee, I think I'd just walk down to the Marriott and use ART. Someone asked about other hotels and their shuttles. Most of them participate in a shuttle program called Anaheim Resort Transit (ART). The good thing about Art vs the Hyatt shuttle is that ART goes other places besides Disney.

ART uses Disney as a transfer point. So from the Marriott Suites to Disney you could then hop on another bus and go to Edison Field to catch an Angels game. The AMTRAK station is in the Edison Field parking lot so you can easily get into LA or San Diego. It can also take you to the Crystal Cathedral, Block at Orange, and other places.

ART basically gives you freedom in Anaheim without needing a car. I'm not trying to turn this into a PSA for ART. All I'm trying to point out is that unless someone just wants to go to Disney I think it will be hard for the Hyatt shuttle to compete with ART as it is also $4 for an unlimited day pass that will take you to a lot more places.

So if the GM does read this, I don't get the logic at all. Why invest in a new shuttle and charge patrons for its use when you have competition that is really better nearby? This one does leave me shaking my head a lot.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:40 pm

It could have the effect of reducing tips to drivers similar to baggage fees seriously reducing tips to skycaps at airports.
My dad works in travel transportation, and based on what he's told me, its most likely that the entire new fee is going to the hotel, and the drivers will see their tips drop significantly. Its really tough when you implement a new fee/surcharge, and it gets taken out on the drivers (both in tips and complaining customers). Over time, once the fee is no longer new/unexpected, things level out.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:41 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
With a $4 shuttle fee, I think I'd just walk down to the Marriott and use ART. Someone asked about other hotels and their shuttles. Most of them participate in a shuttle program ...
The shuttle was complimentary the last time I was there, or is there a different shuttle? http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5134208745/
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
The shuttle was complimentary the last time I was there, or is there a different shuttle? http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5134208745/
I was there Dec 31st-Jan 2nd. December 31st and January 1st, it was still free (as it always had been).

January 2nd, they started charging with new fancy signs directing you to buy your tickets. This is supposedly to offset the cost of fancy new shuttles with tv's (seriously, who needs tv's???) and GPS tracking (...??? It's a 10 minute trip....we don't need GPS tracking!!?!?!). The cost of these fancy unnecessary and completely ridiculous features are being passed on to the guests in the form of a shuttle charge.

I agree, it's not worth a boycott or anything, but it's still worth voicing your concerns because if enough people do ask for alternatives, they hopefully will offer it as an amenity for Diamond at least.

To park and shuttle for a family of 4 (kids over 10) will run you $31/day. While this may not seem bad, keep in mind this is NOT a resort hotel and there is plentiful parking options everywhere in the surrounding areas. It's one thing if it's a big city....it's quite another near the mouse.

I hope OC makes changes to this.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mariobey
FYI, we stayed here over New Years and on the morning of January 2nd, they had a huge sign saying to "buy your shuttle tickets". Shuttle is $4/day per adult and $3/day per child 10+. Children under 10 are free. Apparently, they are buying/upgrading to brand new shuttle busses with tv's that hold more people. Too bad, because this was one of the last free shuttles. We asked management to considering offering Diamond members the free shuttle in the future. We'll see.

For a review of the hotel, aside from this new charge, you can expect a fantastic stay especially for Diamonds.

My wife and I have been staying here for the past 2 years...about 10 stays total and we've received fantastic service and upgrades every time. The smallest room we ever received was a 1BR Suite and have stayed in 2BR's, hospitality suites, and kids suites. Since there is no lounge, the comp'd breakfast buffet is fantastic or you can order anything off the menu including steak & eggs with gratuity/everything included.

They basically know us here now which is nice because when it came time to use a suite upgrade certificate (felt better securing it because we have a family joining us) they happily locked in a 2 Bedroom Suite even though the cert is technically only good for 1.

So I say all of this because while we highly recommend the hotel, the loss of a free shuttle in addition to the steep parking charge for the area ($15 when free parking is readily available and plentiful), the nickel and diming nature is a negative trend. Just something to factor in as a family of four can now now run you more in shuttle passes than driving and parking at Disney!!
Back to breakfast for the moment. When we were there in Dec, we were charged for the breakfast gratuity that was signed to the rest. Check... Did you write in a gratuity on the restaurant check?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Back to breakfast for the moment. When we were there in Dec, we were charged for the breakfast gratuity that was signed to the rest. Check... Did you write in a gratuity on the restaurant check?
In all of our stays since 2010 (which tops double digits) we have always wrote in a 20% tip and have never been charged for it at the OC Regency.

In Paris and a few other Hyatts, we made the *mistake* of writing in a tip like we always had done and were charged at checkout.

We learned the tip of "diamond included" on here and have used that since, including our last stay. After all, it IS included with the diamond amenity for breakfast, right?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Diamond Breakfast Tip

For me it has been hit or miss. When I would add a few bucks of tip to the diamond breakfast, sometimes it would show on my bill. I've started just leaving no tip and not worrying about it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mariobey
In all of our stays since 2010 (which tops double digits) we have always wrote in a 20% tip and have never been charged for it at the OC Regency.

In Paris and a few other Hyatts, we made the *mistake* of writing in a tip like we always had done and were charged at checkout.

We learned the tip of "diamond included" on here and have used that since, including our last stay. After all, it IS included with the diamond amenity for breakfast, right?
I added the equivalent of 20% and had most of it appear on my folio at check out. I am going to call them on Monday and find out what the deal is.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
With a $4 shuttle fee, I think I'd just walk down to the Marriott and use ART.
I've got a conference coming up at the Marriott, but would like to stay at this Hyatt. From your statement, is it safe to assume that it's not a difficult walk over to the Marriott? It's clearly not far on the map, but one never knows if there are sidewalks, streets that are difficult or unsafe to cross, etc. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by CrispyRice
I've got a conference coming up at the Marriott, but would like to stay at this Hyatt. From your statement, is it safe to assume that it's not a difficult walk over to the Marriott? It's clearly not far on the map, but one never knows if there are sidewalks, streets that are difficult or unsafe to cross, etc. Thanks!
Which Marriott? If it's the Marriott Suites, that's just across the street. Chapman is a big busy street, but there's a stop light.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:58 pm

Which Marriott? If it's the Marriott Suites, that's just across the street. Chapman is a big busy street, but there's a stop light.
Ah sorry! No, it's the Anaheim Marriott, up another block along Harbor and right next door to the convention center. It looks like a little bit of a walk, but as long as there is a stop light and some sidewalks it should be doable.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by CrispyRice:17789910
Ah sorry! No, it's the Anaheim Marriott, up another block along Harbor and right next door to the convention center. It looks like a little bit of a walk, but as long as there is a stop light and some sidewalks it should be doable.
The distance is around a mile. It took me about 20 minutes to walk from the Hyatt to the Convention Center. The only intersection to cross is Harbor Blvd. at Orangewood Ave. I did the walk at night but day shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mr27
The distance is around a mile. It took me about 20 minutes to walk from the Hyatt to the Convention Center. The only intersection to cross is Harbor Blvd. at Orangewood Ave. I did the walk at night but day shouldn't be a problem.
Great, thanks so much for the information!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.