Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2005, 3:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by RJB
My room was not ready at 2.45pm when I arrived. They claimed check-in was 3pm, although this was not shown on my hyatt.com confirmation, and in any event is not acceptable in my book.
I was there a few years back and had the same problem with an early check-in. Although I had notified them on the reservation, they had no record on arrival. I had to check with them numerous times through the morning before finally getting a room at 2:00pm.

Other than that, I can confirm that the hotel, location, GG, and service were great.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I was in Berlin in late July and as a Diamond with Hyatt and a Plat with Starwood, I had the choice of e 218 weekend special with Hyatt or e98 with the Westin Grand for my 1 nite stay. I had stayed at the Hyatt previously and loved it, but not that much. So I opted for the Westin where they gave me a free breakfast and an upgrade to a suite, all for e120 less than I would have paid for the Hyatt. Yes it is a fantastic hotel and the location is very good, but the Westins not in a bad locale either, and for the money its a better deal.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mauld
I was in Berlin in late July and as a Diamond with Hyatt and a Plat with Starwood, I had the choice of e 218 weekend special with Hyatt or e98 with the Westin Grand for my 1 nite stay. I had stayed at the Hyatt previously and loved it, but not that much. So I opted for the Westin where they gave me a free breakfast and an upgrade to a suite, all for e120 less than I would have paid for the Hyatt. Yes it is a fantastic hotel and the location is very good, but the Westins not in a bad locale either, and for the money its a better deal.

The GM of the Grand Hyatt was quoted that they believe in not discounting rates too much, even when demand is low.I believe it was around € 150 that will not be undercut according to him.Interesting strategy, considering that the Westin with weekend rates of € 100 has to sell 50 % more rooms than the Hyatt to reach the same amount of revenue, we see a two prime examples of different pricing strategies....

With a lot more 5* properties opening in Berlin, I really see the average rate to become even cheaper and Berlin is such a nice place to have cheap meals, so club access , even for me as a club junkie ( going out of my way to stay at hotels that have one ) is not really important in Berlin...
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:56 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Grand Hyatt Berlin

I am gifting some friends that will join me in Berlin next year and divided between the Grand Hyatt Berlin
and The Inter-Continental Berlin.Thinking of doing both in fact.
While I can still enjoy the benefits of my last year as a Diamond GP member
Just a bit unsure how many days to do in the week there.

How is Hyatt Diamond treatment at this property?
The word on the street is that the Grand Hyatt is in fact a standout excellent property.
On the other hand with my new Royal Ambassador status I am told the IC will confirm a large multi room suite with view one week before arrival.
All mini bar items are complimentary during the stay minus the booze (no problem)

Looking forward to see how these benefits work more clearly from the Freddie's "Program of the Year" in comparison to the other majors I am more familiar and experienced with.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I like the Hyatt personally as I always get good service there - they remember now that I prefer butter and although I am only there 4 times per year, it is always ready when I come in to the club!

No free mini-bar, and no suite I am afraid, but excellent service and in a location I prefer.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
I like the Hyatt personally as I always get good service there - they remember now that I prefer butter and although I am only there 4 times per year, it is always ready when I come in to the club!

No free mini-bar, and no suite I am afraid, but excellent service and in a location I prefer.
Appreciate the good feedback ^
Sounds consistent with the other excellent reports I have heard
I am IC 3 nights so far and Hyatt 4.Subject to change....
Now deciding which hotel has the better location and which one to stay in first.
With or without free mini bar Life is filled with such hard decisions
By the way warn them on your next stay the New Yorker is coming I prefer olive oil
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I think the Club at the IC is far superior- better and longer drinks and food in the afternoon. Also. the rooms provided at the GH are mediocre compared to even the deluxe room at the IC. I definitely prefer the IC even though I am usually a Hyatt fan.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by mmgm
I think the Club at the IC is far superior- better and longer drinks and food in the afternoon. Also. the rooms provided at the GH are mediocre compared to even the deluxe room at the IC. I definitely prefer the IC even though I am usually a Hyatt fan.
Great news and thanks ^
Wow this must be an unusually nice IC as the Hyatt website makes the Grand look more beautiful.In fact I was almost hesitant to try the IC based on their website pics.
I will seriously consider spending less nights at the Hyatt now.
Especially as the IC has lower rates and more eligible rate plans to choose from then Hyatt.
Question and a crucial one.How is the location of the IC vs the Grand Hyatt?

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 6, 2006 at 5:05 pm
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Great news and thanks ^
Wow this must be an unusually nice IC as the Hyatt website makes the Grand look more beautiful.In fact I was almost hesitant to try the IC based on their website pics.
I will seriously consider spending less nights at the Hyatt now.
Especially as the IC has lower rates and more eligible rate plans to choose from then Hyatt.
Question and a crucial one.How is the location of the IC vs the Grand Hyatt?
Hyatt is at the perfect spot. walking distance to brandenburger tor, unter den linden, sony centy round the corner.
i would def. choose the grandhyatt. try to upgrade to a suite ( voucher?), then you have the not-so mini bar included. and we love the rgency club there. excellent , quality food. nice service.... and we love swimming on the top floor with view over berlin. BTW, best sushi restaurant in town at the hyatt , also 2 others.... we love that place ... right behing Park hyatt Hamburg...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Hyatt is at the perfect spot. walking distance to brandenburger tor, unter den linden, sony centy round the corner.
i would def. choose the grandhyatt. try to upgrade to a suite ( voucher?), then you have the not-so mini bar included. and we love the rgency club there. excellent , quality food. nice service.... and we love swimming on the top floor with view over berlin. BTW, best sushi restaurant in town at the hyatt , also 2 others.... we love that place ... right behing Park hyatt Hamburg...
Appreciated and good to know.
Unfortunately I plan to be using GP points and will have to wing it on
Diamond treatment alone which typically has been pretty good in my experience.
I will also more then likely gift my friends and family members with Hyatt stay certificates.
That will end any possibility of a suite certificate.

At the Grand Hyatt Berlin there are no weekend rates, no special packages or any special discounted rate plans of value for my travel dates.
It is also higher priced by 18% and non refundable.
The IC Berlin is fully refundable and less $$$ And the word on the street it is also a strong consistent performer
IC/PC would allow me to use revenue not points and earn fully in their program.
FYI
Priorty Club also has a very compelling offer right now with a 30,000 point sign up bonus good for a free night at any IC hotel redemption in the world and no annual fee

Thanks again for the heads up on location and the sushi tip.
Not my thing but a relative of mine will be in heaven it is her favorite thing
You are in good company as many seem to like the hotel.
The other reason I am now leaning toward the IC (though I am still planning some nights at the Hyatt) is the potential to upgrade to a two bedroom suite at the IC.
That may be the ultimate deciding factor at this point as well as the weekend rates which are non refundable and include full breakfast for all members of my party
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:55 am
Suspended

Now that I am no longer a Diamond member, am wondering whether it is worth the extra 3,000 points to upgrade to a Club level room with access to the Lounge, on an award stay?

In addition, can anyone supply recent information on this property?

Thanks!

NJ
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:05 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Now that I am no longer a Diamond member, am wondering whether it is worth the extra 3,000 points to upgrade to a Club level room with access to the Lounge, on an award stay?

Thanks!

NJ
RC: Yes, it is worth although they do not have hot food. The RC Concierge from Russia is extremely warm and very helpful. The drink selection - including wines - is above average. Not many tables so go early.

Heath Club: my favorite is the pool/jacuzzi on top of the hotel - there is also a sauna and a relaxing area

Restaurant: if you decide to eat at the hotel, try to book a table by the window. The restaurant is supposed to be one of the best in Berlin - it was nice but service is amateur.

Finally, you are well located in the heart of Berlin, next to theater and cinema, shopping and the new railway station.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:42 am

Lightbulb On and Off topic

Thanks!

NJ
Absolutely go for it on points or paying which ever is in your favor ^
This is one of the few Hyatt’s that I can say has one of the best lounges I have ever been in within a Hyatt Hotel. They do have a policy however of not taking food or beverage out of the lounge if I remember correctly.
The team members are very helpful and they are very generous while one is sitting there.
Offering to get club guests drink after drink or bring something else to the table in the morning.I am so bored with most Hyatt lounges these days and their offerings.Yet we were excited to return each and every time to try what we already liked or try something new.......

Silly as it sounds don't miss the Austrian preserves they serve there in the morning.
The Apricot spread was so excellent I purchased a jar form the hotel.
I am searching for it here in the US.
We loved just about everything in the hotel.
Incredible rooms/bathrooms.The entire design of the property is absolutely spectacular.

We moved on to the InterContinental a few days later to be in a slightly better location.
Also to continue on with my new found loyalty with Priorty Club who runs IMO one of the best programs in the world the way Hyatt once did
Virtually unconditional guest satisfaction in its hotels or its Freddie Award winning program.
That said I do miss some of the standout folks in Omaha who will never be replaced or forgotten no matter what program I do business with.That is something PC is seriously missing.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 17, 2007 at 9:48 am
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ

Thanks!

NJ
ABSOLUTE YES ! for 3000 Points a bargain!
we love that place! ....and yes :the russian female concierge is great!
the food is excellent , and dont miss the cake at tea-time!
have fun!
Old Feb 3, 2008, 3:24 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
FFN stay - DIAMONDS EXPECTATION?

How is their lounge access policy for Diamonds using FFN/points stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.