Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by shonanroger
… when in Japan. The breakfast at HR Tokyo is low quality when comparing with breakfasts at other Japanese hotels within a similar price range. Also the Japanese food selection is much worse than at the most Japanese Crowne Plazas, and worse than at some Dormy Inns.
I assume the breakfast at HR Tokyo is much better than what HR (regency club or buffet at restaurants) in US offer.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Haha, so that's justification for eating at 7/11 (or, the oden is, well, Japanese) or Denny's... while in Japan? No worries, to each his own
I don't think I've seen oden served in conbinis since COVID hit.

At one time HRT had a pretty decent breakfast in their Japanese restaurant, but that place is gone, and the Nadaman that replaced it doesn't serve breakfast.

And I can't fathom choosing Dennys when there's a Royal Host that's equidistant from the property.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by hailstorm

At one time HRT had a pretty decent breakfast in their Japanese restaurant, but that place is gone, and the Nadaman that replaced it doesn't serve breakfast.

And I can't fathom choosing Dennys when there's a Royal Host that's equidistant from the property.
Well, I can't fathom choosing a Dennys (let alone a 7/11) after a five day fast, in the US let alone in Japan lol. But then I'm the type that would kill for oden, nimono (with mochi cake), tororo udon or mimi udon (and I've found all in the station area outside the HR).
Old May 5, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Interesting. I always considered conbini oden the equivalent of the hot dogs at US gas station convenience stores. You know, the ones that have been rolling under a heat lamp on for a couple of weeks.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Just curious, now that breakfast has been moved back to the lounge, is it roughly the same as pre-pandemic or has it been uh, streamlined?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I assume the breakfast at HR Tokyo is much better than what HR (regency club or buffet at restaurants) in US offer.
Substantially better. Same with the evening offerings too. Fresh fish, fruit and japanese breakfast options + full american breakfast options
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Bc of the size of our family I have to get 2 rooms and upgrade one. The point value here has been perfect for us and the other Hyatt props in Tokyo require a lot of points. Oh well.
I believe I read upthread you have a family of 5. Same here. Which 2 rooms did you book and what/how room did you upgrade to? I understand from Hyatt Twitter that suites do not connect to other rooms.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by mongobot
Just curious, now that breakfast has been moved back to the lounge, is it roughly the same as pre-pandemic or has it been uh, streamlined?

Thanks!
To answer my own question, it seems it's basically back to pre-pandemic service but with the plastic gloves and masks part of the mix.

On a side note, I noticed two separate guest altercations in the lounge. The staff handled it well but it was unusually tense.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:05 pm

Interesting. I'm curious to hear details about guest altercations in Japan.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by antonius66
Interesting. I'm curious to hear details about guest altercations in Japan.
There was a family with a couple kids in the lounge at "Cocktail Time". One station has a big block of cheese that guests can cut off a slice for self service and one of the kids was attempting slice off their own. While attempting this, they touched the block of cheese with their bare hand.
An elderly Japanese man saw this and scolded the child who kind of sassed him in reply. The man began to complain to the staff and the child apparently went to tell her father (seemingly American born Japanese) who rushed over to start shouting "nobody speaks to my kid that way!". The staff was trying to mediate this in English and Japanese and it went on a few more minutes before finally getting diffused.

A few minutes prior to this, there was another guest who flipped out because there was somebody in the drinks area not wearing a mask. The offended individual had to speak to a few different staff members before he settled down so there was a little bit of tension before the above incident.

The next morning at breakfast, both the American dad and his Japanese nemesis were in the lounge again and while the Japanese man was avoiding the dad, the dad was displaying plenty of passive aggressive behavior towards the man - cutting him off at the buffet a couple times, etc.
Kudos to the Japanese man for ignoring the challenge.

So there you have it...
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the unsettling news.

Now that HRY and HRTB are things, I see no reason to return.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Now that Japan will be opening to individual tourists (and hotel bookings will increase), any recent reviews if Hyatt Regency has upgraded any hotel amenities/services since last Spring/Summer reports above (or their Aug 1 info sheet)? (particularly Regency Club)

Last report was that Shinjuku shuttle has been permanently discontinued. Still true?

I am considering stay using points at either HRT or Hilton Tokyo across the street. Previously when I stayed at Hilton 5-6 years ago I considered it better run, had better breakfast/lounge, etc. But because of comparatively high Hilton prices I have been staying at Hyatt since 2016.
I Will be using points for stay mid October. Much better value using Hilton points but I do need a few more Hyatt stays to keep my Explorist level (useless as it is). So I'm interested in anyone's review who has stayed at both properties recently to determine if the difference is worth using my Hyatt points now. Has Anyone used Hilton Room Service for free Diamond breakfast--is it a set breakfast, western and Japanese choices, or do they allow you to order anything from the menu----what did you think of that amenity? Hilton info sheet says they will restrict guest to 60 minute limit for nightly cocktails when they are busy (guess they define "busy"). Neither has shuttle to Shinjuku that I know of.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Here's an update from a few months ago - KKR is looking to buy it. I don't know if that's good, bad, or ugly for the property: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Mar...-Regency-Tokyo
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
I had Atrium Suite (TSU eligible) for 5 nights from Nov. 27th but had to cancel

It’s available if any of you are interested can book in these days above!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:32 pm

Checked out yesterday for 2 nights.
Don't think shuttle bus is coming back. Walking/taking subway should be ok as long as you don't have excessive luggage.

Breakfast at lounge was very mediocre. 7-10am I think.
Free fruit and cake from 2:30-4pm (didn't go, had other arrangements).
HH from 5pm to 8pm (didn't go).

Occupancy rate seems to be ok. During certain time of the night there were even line ups at check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.