Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Delhi REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Delhi REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by idainc
Agreed. I appreciate the breakdown of tax / service on paid nights. On the res. on the web site as well as the email copies it was no where to be found for my stay.

As I pointed out to the hotel manager I would be happy to pay it if it was disclosed in advance but to levy it once you are at the property looks opportunistic but at that hotel seemingly in keeping with most other aspects of the place.
The Hyatt Regency DEL certainly has issues, and many of us are left wondering why can't they get their act together as much as we'd like. I guess this is another issue to add to the list.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:05 pm

Not the least of which is getting my points credited for the incidentals.

It would lead to far fewer dissatisfied customers if there was a bit more standardization amongst the international properties.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:14 am
Suspended

Not the least of which is getting my points credited for the incidentals.

It would lead to far fewer dissatisfied customers if there was a bit more standardization amongst the international properties.
Am I supposed to get GP points for dining at the HR DEL even when not billing the meal to the room (e.g., not staying there but eating there)?

I know at Starwood, it's often possible to get Starwood points for eating at the hotel restaurant as long as the charge exceeds something like $10 or the equivalent thereof.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Am I supposed to get GP points for dining at the HR DEL even when not billing the meal to the room (e.g., not staying there but eating there)?

I know at Starwood, it's often possible to get Starwood points for eating at the hotel restaurant as long as the charge exceeds something like $10 or the equivalent thereof.

I believe you get points when things are charged to the room only as a registered guest.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:39 am

Programs: CO Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Hyatt Delhi does away with tax on Gold Passport

Originally Posted by milefan
Just posting to notify everyone of something that happened to a friend of mine at the Hyatt Regency in New Delhi:

After staying for several nights using points for each of the nights, a charge of approximately $41/night (billed in the local currency, Rupees) appeared on the folio as "12.5% Luxury Tax". Upon further questioning, the hotel maintained that it was policy of the government to charge 12.5% of the room rate regardless of whether the stay was free or not.
Seems erroneous, as even if you assume that they can do this legally (which I suspect is not true), a 12.5% charge would mean they are using a rate of about $350! -the last time I checked on their website, rack rates appeared to be way below that!

If it is true, then you might as well consider using points a losing option when staying with Hyatt in India.

Has this happened to anyone else/any similar experiences recently?
When was your friend in Delhi?

This scared me s**less as I do have a reward stay in a SUITE coming up! I just called the hotel and they said that in (approximately) the middle of February they had done away with charging the taxes. I spoke with Nisha at the front desk. Let's hope her comments are accurate!
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:14 am
Suspended

The New Delhi tax has been payable on rack rates assigned to a room regardless of the rate booked. This additional tax was generally calculated based on the rack rate affiliated with the room provided. So with suites this has really hit people, including on upgrades.

Some hotels would -- when pushed -- only charge the tax on the rack rate of the room booked, but the default has been for the hotels to charge tax on the rack rate for upgraded room provided.

If anyone should know about changes, it should be the hotel staff, but get it in writing or get it double and triple checked with names and numbers taken down.

Perhaps the recent change is part of the push to help encourage more hotel construction in India or came through at the same time as an Indian service tax was placed on international flights -- for premium cabin travellers -- around the end of February. What's bizarre is that I had been hearing that Finance wanted to hike the taxes on hotels again at that time. It would be interesting if that got scuttled this time and the service tax ends up working out in the visitor's favor in this regard.

What did happen recently in relation to hotels is that the fringe benefit tax applicable for housing/hospitality was lowered substantially; but that mostly effects Indian employees whose lodging is covered by the Indian employer and this reduction from 20% to 5% should not affect tourists/visitors paying for their own stay.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 12, 2006 at 4:46 am
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by amathur64
When was your friend in Delhi?

This scared me s**less as I do have a reward stay in a SUITE coming up! I just called the hotel and they said that in (approximately) the middle of February they had done away with charging the taxes. I spoke with Nisha at the front desk. Let's hope her comments are accurate!

Having seen how they operate in a bit of a loosey goosey fashion I would strongly suggest sending Nisha an email and get that statement in writing. It would be very unpleasant to try to reference a conversation that is not convenient for them to remember.

Better yet, perhaps an email to [email protected] ( general manager ) will help clarify your concern. Please let us know how you make out.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:55 pm

Will do...

I am emailing the GM now and will keep everyone apprised.

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:50 pm

Seemingly Good News on HR Delhi Taxes

I called a second time and was told by another front desk employee that taxes are indeed paid by the hotel now on free GP stays and that the change was made recently. Also, the manager on duty also confirmed the new policy immediately and sent the email in writing upon request. I hope this will help others!

Dear Mr.XXXX,

Greeting from Hyatt Regency Delhi !

As per the conversation with you, we are pleased to confirm you the following bookings for 2 rooms:

Mrs. XXXX from 15th April 06 to 23rd April 06
Mrs. XXXX from 19th April 06 to 22nd April 06

The rooms are on complimentary basis against the Gold passport points and the Luxury Tax against the room will be borne by the hotel.

In case of any further assistance please feel free to get in touch with us.

Thanks & Regards,

Nishant
Asst.Manager-Front Office
Hyatt Regency Delhi
New Delhi
Mobile:9871386848
Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:29 am

Congratulations. Take your printed copy of that email with you.

I am still waiting after a month for them to decide I should get points on incidentals from my award stay.

Last edited by idainc; Mar 15, 2006 at 5:47 am
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:31 am

Are you waiting for Hyatt GPCS? Or the hotel?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:25 pm

I gave the hotel three weeks to post them and as of today GPCS has had it for a week.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:56 pm
Suspended

I gave the hotel three weeks to post them and as of today GPCS has had it for a week.
I've had it take as long as 6-8 weeks from HR DEL and HR BOM ... and that was without prompting. But if it doesn't post by week 8, it's a no-go without GPCS getting involved or finding the right people at the hotels there.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:02 am

More Seemingly Good News on HR Delhi Taxes

Originally Posted by amathur64
I called a second time and was told by another front desk employee that taxes are indeed paid by the hotel now on free GP stays and that the change was made recently. Also, the manager on duty also confirmed the new policy immediately and sent the email in writing upon request. I hope this will help others!

Dear Mr.XXXX,

Greeting from Hyatt Regency Delhi !

As per the conversation with you, we are pleased to confirm you the following bookings for 2 rooms:

Mrs. XXXX from 15th April 06 to 23rd April 06
Mrs. XXXX from 19th April 06 to 22nd April 06

The rooms are on complimentary basis against the Gold passport points and the Luxury Tax against the room will be borne by the hotel.

In case of any further assistance please feel free to get in touch with us.

Thanks & Regards,

Nishant
Asst.Manager-Front Office
Hyatt Regency Delhi
New Delhi
Mobile:9871386848

In addition,

I received the following correspondence (excerpt) on behalf of the GM...

.....The issue of luxury tax for rooms paid for by Gold Passport points has indeed been investigated at our end. We have received clarification that no tax is chargeable on such accommodation and the same has been implemented with immediate effect. However, this is the only exception. Any other complimentary stays extended due to business reasons, still attracts a 12.5% tax on the published rate, which is explained on arrival.

We look forward to your visit in April 2006......

Swarup Datta
Director of Rooms
Hyatt Regency Delhi,
New Delhi - 110066, India.
Telephone : +91-11-26791234
+91-11-55771437 (Direct)
Facsimile : +91-11-26791122
E-mail : [email protected]
If planning an award stay at this hotel, please note the names of the managers in the correspondences above. I hope this helps some FTer's...
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:51 am

"....The issue of luxury tax for rooms paid for by Gold Passport points has indeed been investigated at our end. We have received clarification that no tax is chargeable on such accommodation and the same has been implemented with immediate effect. However, this is the only exception. Any other complimentary stays extended due to business reasons, still attracts a 12.5% tax on the published rate, which is explained on arrival. "

This raises the possibility for the hotel to have to refund all prior luxury taxes paid, It would behoove any self respecting prior tax payor to approach them for a refund.

Makes me glad I so vehemently protested the charge.

Last edited by idainc; Mar 16, 2006 at 1:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.