Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 5:27 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Spent 4 nights here, booked two rooms and used 2 TSU.
Points room was upgraded to Premium Suite, i.e. Exec Suite wit city view on 28th floor. We could even see parts of the bay.
very satisfied with our overall stay, and this hotel remains my go-to Hyatt in S.F., in spite of some negative comments.

I find Globalist treatment very good. FD Manager personally came to greet me and show appreciation during the checkin process. Door man, bell man, FD staff and Club staff were all very friendly and caring.
got a personal note on 2 occasions from the maid for leaving a tip (I tend to tip daily).

valet parking efficient and free on points room, else around crazy 70$.

Club lounge fully operational again with good spread and honor bar.

surrounding is getting bad though with the homeless, which is very sad.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Going to be in town for a conference, as the rest of my little startup. My biz partner and I are in a suite - wondering if the LR is big enough to let 3-4 ppl work there with laptops, and failing that is the lounge quiet during non meal hours for me and a few of my guests to crack open laptops and work?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 8:26 pm

Any suggestions on where to park for cheaper? Valet is $86..
Globalist on a paid stay.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
sutter-stockton garage is catty corner from the hotel (Northeast corner, hotel is on southwest corner of intersection).

One of the cheaper garages in the city.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Do not leave anything in your car!
Football Fan and VegasGambler like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Do not leave anything in your car!
To be clear, this applies to the whole city, not just in the garage

I would recommend not driving at all if at all possible. Once you pay for parking and car rental (if you are renting) you end up spending more money then just taking Lyft or Uber wherever you need to go, not to mention the hassle and the risk of your car getting broken into.

Driving is basically more expensive and less convenient than the alternatives.
mowogo and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
To be clear, this applies to the whole city, not just in the garage
That's 100% correct. Sutter-Stockton garage, it's at least 150%.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:24 pm

Club lounge is closed until 1/4/2024 for repair. If you've redeemed a club access reward they will provide breakfast at the OneUp restaurant for 2 adults and 2 kids. Only the tips will be charged.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:34 pm

Stayed here for NYE weekend. I booked a standard king and was "upgraded" as an EXP to a city view (16th floor, facing the financial district). Used a Club Access Award, which was good for the breakfast buffet at One Up due to a temporary lounge closure. I was really looking forward to checking out the view from the lounge, but at least the gym on the 35th floor was open. I was hoping for a decent selection of food in the buffet, but honestly the photos above of the lounge breakfast look as good or better than what they were offering for $36 in the very tiny and crowded restaurant. The only items available upon request were eggs and an omelette, but I was never asked if I wanted something. I had a very difficult time just ordering some juice, as they were very busy and rarely stopped by the table. In three days, the only difference in the limited offerings was the switch from pancakes (which are never good in a buffet) to French Toast on day three.

The room itself was surprisingly large for a standard room (corner-ish, with a small entryway and the bathroom off to the side behind the bed), but dreadfully spartan for a GH. Having just stayed in the fantastic GH Fukuoka (for the same nightly rate), the difference is astounding and quite depressing. The fact that most corporate near-luxury hotels in the USA have decided to permanently eliminate any kind of amenity beyond soap and shampoo really gives me zero incentive to even bother being loyal to a brand. The one amenity the room does have, a K-Cup coffee maker, was never restocked by housekeeping. They couldn't even provide ceramic mugs, so I found myself using the thin clear glasses from the restroom for hot water after my two disposable coffee cups were used up. They were also too cheap to bother providing water bottles in the room. I was provided with two bottles at check-in, and the agent even opened up a cabinet next to the desk where they had waters and sodas available. He mentioned that I could stop by anytime for extras, as well as some chips for snacks (possibly related to the lounge closure??) However, I was flatly refused every time I actually did stop at the desk, where the other FD staff insisted nothing was available. Once when I asked for a bottle of water, he said they would send two water bottles up to my room. This seemed completely absurd, and I had absolutely zero interest in tipping $5+ for someone to deliver my two "free bottles of water." The next day when I asked, I was told I could get water in the gym. I also asked about applying the breakfast credit to the coffee cart, as I only wanted a light snack and there was a 20+ minute wait to be seated at the buffet. They told me this was impossible, which pretty much sums up every request I made post check-in.

The addition of the T line, with the adjacent stop in Union Square and connecting tunnel to the Powell St stations definitely makes this hotel much easier to reach and get around town. The tunnel came in quite handy on arrival, as it was raining when we arrived via BART from OAK. It is also possible to walk from Union Square to the San Francisco Center shopping mall without stepping foot outside. The mall is a shell of its former self, but there are still a few decent places to grab some food or do some light shopping. The T is quite convenient for getting to the east side of town, including the arena and other parts of Mission Bay. It also makes it much easier to get to the core of Chinatown (without hiking up the hill or dealing with the trolley).

In the past, I typically avoided Union Square as it is not a place I have have interest or reason to visit, but sadly it is really the only retail area left in the area with some semblance of normalcy (thanks in part to the SFPD substation on the curb directly in front of the Apple Store). The proximity to Chinatown the biggest advantage of this location and something I took advantage of daily. Honestly, I would be quite hesitant to return here again as the entire experience was very meh. I think Kabuki remains my favorite WOH hotel in the area, but it is sadly disconnected from transit and inconveniently located for anything besides Japantown. I understand that SF has some significant issues hurting the hospitality industry, but they are not doing themselves any favors by providing practically zero service to compliment the dated rooms. This place is anything but "Grand."
dpb132 and madmanshoney like this.

Last edited by downinit; Jan 2, 2024 at 1:55 pm
Old Jan 20, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Can a non globalist staying in an executive suite able to access the Grand Club?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
2nd stay here during some high winds. This building sways, creaks, and groans. FD personnel said everyone was complaining about in room noise overnight (he said one lady threw a fit and wanted them to listen to the noises she recorded, which he agreed were the loudest he ever heard). Felt like we were on a noisy ship at sea.

This is a nice hotel otherwise and the lounge is acceptable for US standards although the lounge breakfast is a bit lame.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:08 am

Programs: AA sPLAT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
2nd stay here during some high winds. This building sways, creaks, and groans.
Thanks, news I can use for future reference.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:08 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
This was my first stay here and the third Hyatt I have tried in Downtown - my expectations were exceeded as they were quite low, but the lounge does hold this property back - here are my impressions:
  • Upon arrival at 10 AM, I was offered a Union Square King on the 24th floor - I asked about suites and was told there was one left but it was currently occupied by a Globalist who might not check out until 4 PM - I took the Union Square room
  • Room is obviously older but was in generally fine repair - the desk area is still attractive, but the design feels more dated in other areas
  • A really large number of electrical outlets all over
  • Automated window shades are nice
  • I thought the view to the south was fantastic, especially as I could watch the elevators at St. Francis
  • Bed was quite comfortable - plush mattress, plush pillows, covers are kind of thin (but expected for a GH, and not too bad)
  • Shower pressure was fantastic
  • Sink design is horrid - barely space to put your hands under the water
  • AC fan was loud, which drowned out some noise from the connecting door
  • Offered 4 PM late checkout by default
  • Lounge is kind of not my thing
    • No desserts at evening service - mentioned treats at 8:30 PM, but I was in bed by then
    • Breakfast was mediocre with not many choices - scrambled eggs that didn’t taste that good, vegetable hash, and French toast (which was barely decent)
  • Service was fine - they do have bell staff to open the door, etc.
  • Some elevators modernized and others not - the non-modernized are far better with non-cheap-feeling buttons and an elevator voice

I am trying it again soon, but I bet Hyatt SOMA makes more sense than this GH. It would be far better if the lounge was better.

Photos:

kevino likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:15 pm

So as Globalist, they gave you a connecting King on the 24th floor with the least desirable view. Pretty much par for the course at the property, and has been for many years.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
So as Globalist, they gave you a connecting King on the 24th floor with the least desirable view. Pretty much par for the course at the property, and has been for many years.
Is that actually the least desirable view? Wow, had no idea - they offered something called a city view on the 20th, as well, which I thought had to be worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.