Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by azj
My family trip to Asia in September 2020 has been postponed to March 2021. We've added Hong Kong for 4 days to the itinerary and am about to pull the trigger on redeeming points for a 4 night stay at this property. The reviews of the lounge are quite positive. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra 8,000 point/night for a room with club access? We'll definitely be taking advantage of the incredible food scene, but lounge access is always nice for breakfast or convenient snacks. Thoughts?

Disclosure... I've been Bonvoy'd and am in the process of burning my Bonvoy points and turning into a brand agnostic traveler. I'll play the field a bit more transferring Chase points etc... to various other brands. I'll have no status with Hyatt.

I wonder if HK will even be open by March (especially to Americans - the world's new pariah). Anyway, a good rule of thumb (for me at least) is to value Hyatt points at two cents each. You can do better or worse, but that's a good rule of thumb in terms of value. So the question is, is club access worth $160 a day to you? Only you can decide that. Or more important - what does it cost if you pay cash? If it's $160 or less then I'd save the points for a better value redemption later.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
I wonder if HK will even be open by March (especially to Americans - the world's new pariah). Anyway, a good rule of thumb (for me at least) is to value Hyatt points at two cents each. You can do better or worse, but that's a good rule of thumb in terms of value. So the question is, is club access worth $160 a day to you? Only you can decide that. Or more important - what does it cost if you pay cash? If it's $160 or less then I'd save the points for a better value redemption later.
Depending on how much you eat/drink could impact the value well above $160.
Excellent point though, if there was a cash upgrade option to include the family around the same cost as breakfast then paying cash may make sense and keep the points.

I know you can book a reservation with cash and for 3k points per night can upgrade to club. But if you are doing points, its 8k more..

Also,, at this point no idea if you'll end up pushing your trip again.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
The OP says it is a 'family trip'...does that mean 2 people, or 2 adults and 1 or 2 kids? That changes the cost of the club room drastically
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:48 am
azj

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
The OP says it is a 'family trip'...does that mean 2 people, or 2 adults and 1 or 2 kids? That changes the cost of the club room drastically
Thanks all for the advice, it's a family trip of 3 adults.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
want to max your points value?

Originally Posted by azj
Thanks all for the advice, it's a family trip of 3 adults.
Assuming you 3 will drink a few glasses of wine etc. going for the club would be a no brainer for me.
If you are looking to max value of points then:
One night 25k points you probably are getting about 1.5 cents per point (Compared to the cash price)
One night 33k points for club, You are getting about 1.8 cents per point (Compared to the cash price)
One night paid base room with Cash @ $3k HKD ($390USD) + 3k points for club upgrade you are getting 6.6 cents per point!!!!!!! (Comparing the cash rate for regular room vs. cash rate for Club access room)

So if you are concerned with value, then for sure get the club one way or another.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 6:56 pm

I am planning to make use of the Singapore - Hong Kong Air Travel Bubble and therefore enquired with regards to what the Grand Club offerings are like now. Apparently it is almost back to normal (pre-COVID - I checked specifically whether at Happy Hour you have to get up and get your own food and they said yes) with many of the same great staff and Ruinart available during Happy Hour.

Breakfast
Monday – Friday: 6:30 – 10:30 AM
Saturday & Sunday: 6:30 – 11:00 AM

Afternoon Tea
Monday – Friday & Sunday: 2:00 – 4:00 PM
Saturday: 2:00 – 3:30 PM

Evening Cocktails
Monday – Friday & Sunday: 5:30 – 7:30 PM
Saturday: 4:00 – 5:00 PM; 5:15 – 6:15 PM; 6:30 – 7:30 PM
(Note: I was informed that each guest only gets a one hour time window on a Saturday for Happy Hour)
dpb132 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Occupancy has gone down a bit recently (am guessing it’s the season/time of the year which is starting to make the pool less viable) so as far as my recent stay goes (just wrapped up a week-long stay there earlier this month), the Saturday time windows are not entirely strictly enforced.

The rates have gone (further) down too, and if booking direct the cheapest rate comes with breakfasts for two at Grand Cafe (earlier this month it was down to HK$1,4xx + 10%). The twist is many people (as in non WOH) are booking the corner rooms/suites direct so it’s become quite difficult for Globalists looking for a substantial free upgrade upon arrival, especially over weekends.

Grand cafe breakfast also operates on a time window basis (3 seatings every morning) - the 9:30am last session gets filled up fast even on weekdays. Club breakfast is FCFS, and only available on weekends
On very busy weekends (I doubt there’d be one anytime soon anyway) Tiffin becomes the spillover venue for Grand Cafe. One Harbour Road also serves breakfast but not sure if one can have it there for breakfasts included in room rates
Singapore_Air and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Higher floor?

Knowledgeable experts, may I ask: planning to stay at GH in March for 7 nights assuming HKG open from London and friends' wedding happens. Good rates on Healthcare worker rates (girlfriend and I Infectious Diseases medics turning 40 so need a break!), no status but I don't think applies to this rate. I'm keen for a high up room as GF has not been to HK before- is there a real benefit to being on the club floors 30-33 in a King Harbour room, or is the view from lower floors (12 up) acceptable (the deluxe rooms are on floors 12-28, I love the layout but of course no guarantee of high up). We will spend our time exploring but utilising the Club Lounge to its fullest extent. (And yes- I am really struggling with whether to book a Grand suite or not!). Many thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:08 pm

Will both rooms have club access? I definitely enjoyed the club at the GH HK.

If both rooms have club access, I don't think you will mind a harbor room on a lower floor. My harbor view room (around the 15th floor) looked out towards the IFC area and you could see both Hong Kong Island, the harbor and Kowloon. The view from the club lounge looks straight out over the harbor towards Kowloon. It was perfect as I was able to enjoy two types of views.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Thanks for your experience. Both would have club access, I like the look of the deluxe rooms with the corner views so will book that I think and hope for high up, and enjoy the club views too.

Originally Posted by vprp
Will both rooms have club access? I definitely enjoyed the club at the GH HK.

If both rooms have club access, I don't think you will mind a harbor room on a lower floor. My harbor view room (around the 15th floor) looked out towards the IFC area and you could see both Hong Kong Island, the harbor and Kowloon. The view from the club lounge looks straight out over the harbor towards Kowloon. It was perfect as I was able to enjoy two types of views.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by jbis
Knowledgeable experts, may I ask: planning to stay at GH in March for 7 nights assuming HKG open from London and friends' wedding happens. Good rates on Healthcare worker rates (girlfriend and I Infectious Diseases medics turning 40 so need a break!), no status but I don't think applies to this rate. I'm keen for a high up room as GF has not been to HK before- is there a real benefit to being on the club floors 30-33 in a King Harbour room, or is the view from lower floors (12 up) acceptable (the deluxe rooms are on floors 12-28, I love the layout but of course no guarantee of high up). We will spend our time exploring but utilising the Club Lounge to its fullest extent. (And yes- I am really struggling with whether to book a Grand suite or not!). Many thanks.
The view from the lower floors is acceptable. I stayed in both the normal suite and a normal harbour view room on the lower floors. Both views were spectactular.

You should definitely use the club lounge, it's one of my favourites. Highlights appear to be free flow Ruinart, and various dishes you can order for breakfast. I also noted raspberries/blueberries (if you are into berries) were available for breakfast in the lounge but were not in the restaurant buffet at the Grand Cafe, no doubt for cost cutting purposes.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm starting to plan for a trip for NEXT Christmas/New Year, and noticed that the HR TST has standard suites currently available for my entire stay, while the GH does not. This is a long trip (21 days) with my other half so I am planning to use suite upgrade certificates if the suites are available. We're there to see family, with members living on both sides (Wan Chai and Hung Hom) so location is a bit of a wash. If GH doesn't have Grand Suites become available, would you still recommend staying there over the HR TST? This is all assuming that quarantines have ended by then.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by arnel
I'm starting to plan for a trip for NEXT Christmas/New Year, and noticed that the HR TST has standard suites currently available for my entire stay, while the GH does not.
Happy new year! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas! While I'm admittedly speculating here, it could be that the GH is currently not allowing or showing availability for suite redemptions, and may begin to make them available as we hopefuly move beyond some of the more severe pandemic restrictions.

Originally Posted by arnel
This is a long trip (21 days) with my other half so I am planning to use suite upgrade certificates if the suites are available. We're there to see family, with members living on both sides (Wan Chai and Hung Hom) so location is a bit of a wash. If GH doesn't have Grand Suites become available, would you still recommend staying there over the HR TST? This is all assuming that quarantines have ended by then.
In my view, the standard suites at the TST are more of the junior variety, and unlike the GH, doesn't have a separate bedroom. If you could, say, use the suite upgrade and make up the difference for the TST Exec Suite, then I think it would be more suitable. But, if the GH suites do become available, I think you're much better off there, especially with family in Wan Chai, though TST may be more convenient for Hung Hom (assuming near the station).

For a longer stay, as you probably already know, the GH would likely be more comfortable. The lounge there is world class, and the staff there is probably my favorite of any I've ever had the pleasure of frequenting in the Hyatt universe. The GH from top to bottom just feels more refined (they just get the little things right) than the TST, and I think that slight nuance becomes more pronounced with longer stays. For your stay, I'd contact the hotel when your travel dates are closer to evaluate your options. While this was pre-covid, I recall during a particularly longer stay, suite upgrade avaibility wasn't available during all of my nights; after contacting the hotel, they made the nights available for the duration of my stay. For 21 days, I'm assuming your paying rather than using points, where you should have some negotiating leverage. If you do ultimately choose the GH, I'd encourage you to ask for a harbor view suite above the 30th (or, 31st) floor with separate elevators on their lounge floor. It's more private, quiet and more suitable for extended stays.

Have a great trip! Likewise, I'm fervently hoping for the day the wonderful city of Hong Kong and its people will again welcome tourists from all around the world, and reestablish herself as the jewel and gateway of Asia.

PS - The 3 complimentary pieces of laundry per diem beginning on day of arrival and old world shoe shine service in of itself makes this a better selection than the TST, all things equal.
Singapore_Air and lsquare like this.

Last edited by Visconti; Dec 31, 2020 at 7:38 am Reason: PS...
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Visconti
Happy new year! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas! While I'm admittedly speculating here, it could be that the GH is currently not allowing or showing availability for suite redemptions, and may begin to make them available as we hopefuly move beyond some of the more severe pandemic restrictions.

In my view, the standard suites at the TST are more of the junior variety, and unlike the GH, doesn't have a separate bedroom. If you could, say, use the suite upgrade and make up the difference for the TST Exec Suite, then I think it would be more suitable. But, if the GH suites do become available, I think you're much better off there, especially with family in Wan Chai, though TST may be more convenient for Hung Hom (assuming near the station).

For a longer stay, as you probably already know, the GH would likely be more comfortable. The lounge there is world class, and the staff there is probably my favorite of any I've ever had the pleasure of frequenting in the Hyatt universe. The GH from top to bottom just feels more refined (they just get the little things right) than the TST, and I think that slight nuance becomes more pronounced with longer stays. For your stay, I'd contact the hotel when your travel dates are closer to evaluate your options. While this was pre-covid, I recall during a particularly longer stay, suite upgrade avaibility wasn't available during all of my nights; after contacting the hotel, they made the nights available for the duration of my stay. For 21 days, I'm assuming your paying rather than using points, where you should have some negotiating leverage. If you do ultimately choose the GH, I'd encourage you to ask for a harbor view suite above the 30th (or, 31st) floor with separate elevators on their lounge floor. It's more private, quiet and more suitable for extended stays.

Have a great trip! Likewise, I'm fervently hoping for the day the wonderful city of Hong Kong and its people will again welcome tourists from all around the world, and reestablish herself as the jewel and gateway of Asia.

PS - The 3 complimentary pieces of laundry per diem beginning on day of arrival and old world shoe shine service in of itself makes this a better selection than the TST, all things equal.
I can’t wait until COVID is over as I really want to go back to HK. I wasn’t a Globalist on my last trip to HK in February of this year. I couldn’t justify paying for something that I can’t fully take advantage of. Now that I’m a Globalist, I want to come here and try out the lounge. Since everyone is going to be a Globalist next year, I’m pretty sure I’ll have to use a TSU to get a suite.

I’ve been to Hyatt TST before. Great views and I love that there’s a MTR station next to the hotel.
Visconti likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
In my view, the standard suites at the TST are more of the junior variety, and unlike the GH, doesn't have a separate bedroom.
The standard Regency Suite at the Hyatt TST certainly does have a separate bedroom and living area. It is sectioned off with sliding doors.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.