Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Downtown Miami Hyatt Regency REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downtown Miami Hyatt Regency REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Just checked in here and I was upgraded to a suite again. Like others have mentioned, it's an old hotel but I've received fantastic service. Personal e-mail from the front desk staff and a manager. RC was closed for renovations and was offered 2,500 points and full breakfast at the restaurant.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:30 pm

Reached out to Twitter for more details and was told by @HyattConcierge the Regency Club is currently closed until October 31, 2016.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:06 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Potential reconstruction

Potential total reconstruction of hotel site and convention center:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...146167034.html
Old May 19, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Question

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Reached out to Twitter for more details and was told by @HyattConcierge the Regency Club is currently closed until October 31, 2016.
Anyone have any updates re regency club lounge opening?. Website still says "closed for renovations until further notice"
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, M&M LT SEN, AZ Plat, WoH LT Glob, HH Diam
Angry

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Anyone have any updates re regency club lounge opening?. Website still says "closed for renovations until further notice"
Stayed there August 14-16, 2017. Club still closed, no more 2,500 points because you get a breakfast, what a joke...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:11 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Potential total reconstruction of hotel site and convention center:

Hyatt negotiating to redevelop the Regency and Miami?s James L. Knight Center | Miami Herald
An update to this potential redevelopment:

"In August Miami voters may be asked to OK redevelopment of 4.2 acres of downtown riverfront that would add city revenue and improve access to the growing waterfront after razing the city-owned James L. Knight Convention Center and attached Hyatt hotel at 400 SE Second Ave."

Miami downtown riverfront targeted for three towers - Miami Today
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Glenlivet
Stayed there August 14-16, 2017. Club still closed, no more 2,500 points because you get a breakfast, what a joke...
Stayed in February. Was told Regency Club plans have been "suspended." Not sure what happened.

Was handed a couple tix for the cafe. Free drink or coffee.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Stayed here last week. I used a TSU and was given the Miami suite on the second to top floor near the south-west sh end facing southeast. Nice view in my opinion of the Miami river, the city, and even the bay behind the buildings. We even saw a manatee swimming in the river from up there. The view declines if you stay further towards the NE end of the building as the building across the street occupies a larger and larger fraction of the view, and the views on the other side are worse altogether. The last time I stayed here was a few years ago, and I was given a view of the roof of the convention center on a low floor as a non-statused Hyatt member. So, I was quite happy with the room placement this time. I only wish the windows/balconies could open.

The miami suite as can be seen on the website is not a true suite, but rather the size of a standard room and a half and more comfortable for sure. I was plenty happy with the extra space for the week (since we have the kid with us and need the space), but for those of you that are strategic with getting high value for your TSU, this isn't the place to get it.

The lobby seems to be undergoing some renovations around the edges. The market is about to move into a nice looking new space.

The club lounge was closed, but the breakfast buffet in the restaurant was more decent than average and we were given a few coupons for free items at the market. I thought this was rather good treatment. The service at breakfast, the market, the valet, the porters, and all around was pretty good.

This was an award stay and the valet parking was free for me as globalist.

This is far from the sexiest place to stay in downtown Miami or Brickell, but I like the location in general (nice walks, nice shopping, easy connection to the elevated tram to get around downtown etc) and as a launching point to visit sites in Miami proper and areas to the south and west. As a cat 3, I feel as though I got a pretty good redemption value for my points.

I was hoping to stay in the new HC but they never opened pts availability for last week -- maybe next time...., but I was a happy customer.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Had a one night stay last night following five nights at the Confidante after our trip was extended due to snow in the northeast. I booked this at the last minute on points and thought it was a good value at Category 3. We were upgraded to a Miami Suite which, as described here, is not a true suite but a larger room with a sitting area. Everything appeared modern although some of the bathroom fixtures are dated. I could hear noise from the connecting room next door but the hotel provided a quality white noise machine that solved that problem. No club and I was given a chit for two free items from the market; I left too early for breakfast. We had dinner at Station 28, a casual Peruvian restaurant nearby, and enjoyed it. Much better prices than the food on Miami Beach.

MetroMover is accessible via an indoor walkway from the hotel and we took that and the Metrorail to the airport in around 30-35 minutes.

Overall a short stay and not much else to comment on but I was satisfied and would return.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Cliffs Notes: Old, run-down hotel; A/C not great; noise issues; incompetent FD failed all pre-arrival requests/notations; great breakfast buffet; service wildly hit or miss, seemingly staff-dependent.

I booked 3 rooms total here as Glob: one 'VIP King Suite' (paid) and two standard rooms, one fully on points, one partially on points with the last night using a cert (finally got to use a Cat 1-4 cert!). One of the standard rooms was upgraded to a 'Miami King Suite', which IMO barely qualifies as a junior suite.

First off, the FD failed all three pre-arrival requests/notations. They failed to notate my late arrival, and night audit no-showed me; they did not add ANY of the names I requested to the other two rooms I booked; and they failed to appropriately link/block the combo points/cert reservation, checking out the last room one day early. Fortunately on the no-show, they did not resell my room; nevertheless, the FD agent seemed inexperienced and checking me in took nearly 20 minutes to reinstate everything and this was very irritating coming off a redeye where I just wanted to shower and take a nap.

Service is incredibly hit-or-miss here and it seems entirely dependent on who you get. At check-in for the other two rooms, the FD agent was way nicer and more competent, acknowledged Glob status and gave out several cards that were redeemable for any two items at the market, and told us we could go back to the FD anytime to get more cards (what she really meant was, 'find me and I'll give you more cards, because most of my co-workers can't be bothered'). I think the official hotel policy is one card per day. In any case, this is a really nice perk for Globs, as the cards can be redeemed for sandwiches, snacks, sodas, hot food items, etc.

The breakfast buffet is also really good, with a huge variety of items - IIRC three different egg dishes plus an omlelet station! - good fruit spread, several proteins, pastries, etc. Service was also good here, and my additional tip was not charged to the room.

The hotel is very old and it shows. The elevators are really slow. The rooms have tiny bathrooms and an odd layout with only the toilet/tub area behind a door, and the bathroom sink area and closet area separated from the bed area by a wall that doesn't reach the ceiling. Noise insulation from hallway is virtually nonexistent. All of our rooms faced Brickell Avenue Bridge, and there was also significant traffic noise - we could even hear the drawbridge operator on the loudspeaker yelling at people to get off the bridge walkways whenever big boats had to pass by.

Specific to the "VIP King Suite", this is just a standard king room attached to a large conference room that has a murphy bed and its own bathroom. I really hate it when the suites have this layout and it isn't specifically mentioned on the website. Clearly they prefer this layout so they can just sell the standard king by itself. The problem is that they obviously shut off the A/C when they don't sell the conference room, so the room smells moldy and disgusting. I'd definitely pass on paying for this suite here.

In any case, word is they're going to demolish the hotel for a new development, so we won't have to worry about this property's positives and negatives.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
we could even hear the drawbridge operator on the loudspeaker yelling at people to get off the bridge walkways whenever big boats had to pass by.
I think that is a feature!

Anyways, my review is just above and fairly positive. Another note is that they had real white-noise makers in the rooms here to help with street noise at night. For me, that made the street noise no problem, as I am a white noise sleeper (as long as white noise is authentic), and is a million times better than 'ear plugs' which I find extremely uncomfortable.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:42 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This place is definitely getting old, but the king deluxe room was perfectly fine for a solo one night stay. Received it as a one-category upgrade as Explorist. I didn’t pay to eat anything here as there is a Whole Foods nearby.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
This place is definitely getting old, but the king deluxe room was perfectly fine for a solo one night stay. Received it as a one-category upgrade as Explorist. I didn’t pay to eat anything here as there is a Whole Foods nearby.
The pictures on the website look nice. Is it just a photoshop job or did the rooms get renovated?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:58 pm
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by s0ssos
The pictures on the website look nice. Is it just a photoshop job or did the rooms get renovated?
I doubt they are remodeled as the building should be newly built in due course.

see my earlier post
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29654878-post66.html
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I asked myself the same question last night. There are some recent traveler photos of the rooms on a different travel review site - they convinced me to burn an expiring TSU for a panorama suite vs the Miami suite though its 100 sq.ft. smaller. Though there's TSU availability at the nearby newer properties for my dates, my corp rate was just too good to pass up for my stay purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.