Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 8:52 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
As a Diamond you'll most likely be placed on the RC floor (11). Given the layout of the hotel, there are lots of rooms on this level. Here are some pics from a recent stay:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=xcyf847...&x=0&y=-b2nnz8

Rooms are not particularily fancy, ok. I believe all have a small balcony and your choice of views would be either the pool/lake area or Disneyworld (in the distance)
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Grand Cypress - Just Back!

We just returned from 4 nights at the Hyatt Grand Cypress and really enjoyed our stay there. As some background, we go to Orlando about twice a year and stay on Disney property either at the Polynesian or Yacht/Beach Clubs. This year we decided to try the Grand Cypress after hearing such good things about it here. To us, staying at a non-Disney hotel is unheard of.

Well, it’s heard of now. I doubt we’ll stay anywhere else in the future. The value for the money is incredible compared to Disney properties. The RC rooms are priced comparably to deluxe water view rooms at Disney (discounted) concierge. However, the service and amenities at Disney don’t hold a candle to Hyatt. Granted, you give up some of the convenience of having walking/launch/monorail access to at least 2 parks, but we’re regular visitors and know exactly how to get around the property. We didn’t lose any time being off property. We have annual passes, so parking at Disney is free for us anyway.

Background – we had 3 reservations for the 4 nights. 2 nights on a weekend certificate; 1 night on a AAA discount; 1 night on a reward.

We arrived Saturday morning at 9am (memorial day weekend). Our room wasn’t ready and we were assigned a room number and given all of our documents. They put our things in storage and we left for the day. They offered to call us when the room was ready, but it wasn’t necessary since we would be at Universal all day. A trainee checked us in and we had to request some of the features we were entitled to. I didn’t find this a problem, since everyone at the front desk was so nice.

We had been upgraded to the RC floor in room 1109. Imagine our surprise when we walked in and had TWO bathrooms connected by a dressing area. We were told that they have a few rooms like this. There was a connecting door in the room, and I would assume this room, along with 1107 could become a 3 bathroom 2 bedroom suite. The room had fresh orchids in both bathrooms. The amenities were Portico except for the bar soap, which was Bath & Body works. The bed had a lightweight down comforter in a very soft cover as well as a lightly quilted blanket underneath. The room is decorated beautifully and I immediately felt relaxed when I walked in (this was after spending 6 HOT HOT hours in Universal). The view from our room was of the lake, and we were happy with it. I would imagine those overlooking the pool could be a little noisy, since the pool is open 24 hours. We didn’t hear ANY noises at night, and the hotel was sold out for the weekend. The room had high speed internet access via a DSL connection, but my office laptop refused to acknowledge it so I used dial up. I’m sure it was my computer and not the connection, since the light was blinking on the cord.

The RC had a very nice continental breakfast with a good selection of juices, breads, fruit & cereal. I would liken it to the Hyatt Maui’s breakfast with the addition of smoked salmon. There were bottles of water/soda and beverages throughout the day as well as fresh fruit, BIG cookies and dried fruit/nuts during the day. In the evening, there was 1 hot and 1 cold hors douvre as well as cold cuts & cheese and crackers, nachos & salsa and olives. There also were two types of coffees. Brewed Starbucks and a cappuccino machine. We made good use of the cappuccino machine making iced cappuccino’s!

Turndown service was prompt and included chocolates and a rose each evening. The bathrobes were out on the bed. The TV was left on (which we thought was wasteful).

We made use of the valet parking (14.91 per day) and it was worth it. No matter how hard we tried, we could never beat the car to the front of the hotel. It was amazing! The elevators are really fast, and the car was always waiting for us. One time we asked in advance to have it ready for 7pm. It was sitting there waiting when we got down. We were not charged the resort fee.

Each and every employee we encountered was smiling and pleasant. I can’t think of one person we ran into that wasn’t nice and/or accommodating.

The pool area was extremely crowded over the weekend and it was made worse by people reserving their chairs for the day by leaving towels/books on them. This was particularly annoying because the spots in the shade were all taken by “books” and not people. My husband is very fair and really needs to have some shade. There were lots of empty chairs, but all were “reserved.” Finally, we found a few with towels and just moved them. In some cases the owners of the shaded chairs didn’t return for hours. If there was one thing I would suggest is that the hotel monitor unused chairs and remove belongings if they are not used for a while and/or get more umbrellas. It’s hot in Orlando (it was unusually hot last week) and a little more shade would be appreciated by all.

A big plus at the pool was the distribution of cold wash cloths! They couldn’t have been any more appreciated. The pool itself is gorgeous with waterfalls and slides and 3 spas.

The only glitch during our entire stay was that our room keys stopped working after the first 2 nights. It wasn’t unexpected since our reservations were broken into 3. The front desk fixed it immediately and ensured our keys would continue working for the balance of the stay.

We did not use any of the included amenities such as the boats or miniature golf. It was just too hot in the afternoon to be in the sun & not be underwater .

We’re already planning our return to this oasis in the middle of mouse madness.

If you’re undecided – give this place a try. It is really one of the nicest, if not the nicest hotel in the immediate Disney area.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:13 am

Ooops. Forgot to mention the "beverages." The 2 nights were were in there for cocktails we were offered at our table but refused. It was that hot. We fought dehydration the entire stay. Plus, we were about to head out to the parks.

For us, it was juices, water & coffee all weekend!
Old Oct 10, 2004, 3:18 pm

Live from the Grand Cypress

We checked into the hotel on Saturday. The front desk wasn’t very busy. We were greeted promptly and offered champagne. A trainee assisted us while a staff member looked on.

Our intent was to use 800 checkin while still at home. However, we overslept, drove to the wrong parking lot and barely made it through security in time to board.

Our room was ready when we arrived. We were assigned a room on the RC floor facing the road. BUT, for some reason, or Sunshine on Sale rate had changed from $209 per night to $410 per night. I showed them the confirmation and my diamond card and everything was quickly fixed.

I asked for the great room we had last trip – 1109. It has two bathrooms with a spacious area in between. Our luck – a courtesy card holder was moving into it! Oh well, we were satisfied just being on the RC floor.

The room we were assigned was a bit on the noisy side. That is – we could hear a good amount of tire noise through the sliders. So, we asked if the was something else. They didn’t have another king bedded room but could offer us a room with two doubles in another wing. We jumped at the opportunity. We had to wait 2 hours for the room to be ready and the bellman had us moved without us even knowing it. Our diamond amenity was waiting for us in the new room.

My GP preferences have a request for a smoking room and I removed a bed type request, since we have found it actually hinders getting a nicer room. For some reason, they still had us down for a king room and we never get put into a smoking room. But, as long as I have a balcony to smoke on, I don’t mind, and my non-smoking husband is a happy camper.

The hurricanes blew some of the glass caps from the atrium roof. We were told they lost 15. Most of them have been replaced but the manufacturer was out stock for the last 5 or so. They have some makeshift coverings up there now. Except for a few trees that have been blown down, the property doesn’t look any worse from the experience.

In room DSL high speed internet access is free (hooray). I had trouble getting my computer to connect and the number provided helped me fix it in about 10 minutes. They asked all the right questions and made sure they didn’t change any settings that would effect my ability to connect to my office. Everything is working just fine now.

Wireless access is available in the lobby, near the meeting rooms, and if you’re lucky, at the first sofa right inside the RC. The cost for wireless is $9.95 per day. I’m happier connecting from my room, thank you.

All in all, this is quickly becoming our favorite hotel when visiting Disney. If you had asked us a year ago if we would ever consider staying anywhere except for the Polynesian or the Beach Club we would have said you were out of your mind. Not anymore. While we’re missing some of the on-site ambience, the Grand Cypress service has Disney beat by a mile.

I’ll post more if there’s anything new/unusual or outstanding to report.

Mary
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:05 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I think 1109 was the room I had last March. A king bedded room with 2 bathrooms, 1 with shower, 1 with bathtube. Completely decadent with 1 person there on conference at one of the Disney properties but I am not going to complain.

The smoked salmon and homemade gronola for breakfast were great
Mary
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
I guess it was FT weekend at the Grand Cypress...we were in Fri night through this morning.

We received an ordinary, but perfectly nice room -- 1649 -- with RC access.

Our stay was pleasant, but it seemed much more crowded than when we visited 2 years ago over the same weekend...I can only imagine that it was a combination of rescheduled post-hurricane trips compacted over the weekend and improved economic conditions in 04 v. 02.

One disappointment about the hotel -- I wish the later evening dining options were a little better...we returned from the Magic Kingdom around 10:15 and then only option was the White Horse Restaurant/Bar (or room service) -- at White Horse, the menu options are limited to mid/upper $20s-$30s entrees from the steakhouse side or a very brief bar menu -- basically burger, cheeseburger, or chicken sandwich. You'd think they would try a little harder to keep the late night diner on property -- and, if they're going to charge $20s/$30s for entrees, they'd provide an atmosphere that doesn't feel like somewhere the stars of Dallas would go to seal a big oil deal.

One definite plus -- no resort fee was charged.

(p.s. I didn't break the cappucino maker... )

Last edited by snorkmaster; Oct 11, 2004 at 8:32 pm
Old Oct 12, 2004, 3:13 am
Suspended

I was there last week checking in on wednesday out on saturday.Indeed the hotel became more crowded from friday on, but it was still not nearly as crowded as in late may, when I was there during a big convention.

As posted above, cost of internet access is a little bit too expenisve, especially in the business center, but there is a Kinko heading north on 535 after 150 yards on the right side.

Staff in the RC was simply nice, I was there for the fourth time within a year now and they are starting to remember me, especially this time, because KLM had lost my bags for over a week and it became a running gag, every time I entered the club room.

So if anybody goes there soon, tell Nancy the german guy without the luggage for over a week, got it back , but KLM lost it again on my way back to DUS...
Old Oct 17, 2004, 6:16 pm
ski

Marketing is going out of their way to bring guests back. On last stay we were given the $100 food and beverage dining certificate for use at a Hyatt Resort on a future stay. We had planned to return, but had to cancel because of the weather. We just received a letter thanking us for our recent stay with a $25 gift certificate good through end of Dec, with only requirement to be registered guests at hotel.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 2:13 pm

I'm home.

The stay was excellent and the staff very attentive. By the 3rd day the valets & doorman knew our names & started joking with us. This is in a hotel that was completely full for almost our entire stay. There was a Mike Ferry Real Estate convention for most of last week. The hotel was crawling with real estate agents.

We did have one glitch. Our in room high speed internet access stopped working reliably after Monday. We had 2 technical people and the hotel assistant manager in our room trying to get it resolved. By Thursday, line 1 on our telephone wouldn't work, and line 2 only worked on one of the phones. They chalked it up to hurricane water damage, but to me, it seemed more like a traffic problem. I had no problems accessing at any time in the morning. Once noon rolled around, it just stopped connecting. After the majority of the real estate agents checked out on Friday it started working well again. By Saturday, they admitted that it probably was a traffic problem.

We were offered to move to a suite on a non-RC floor as compensation or a different room on the RC floor. We refused since our stay was almost over. The asst manager said he would take care of us when we returned. He also offered to waive the resort fee, but we weren't paying it anyway. We were also offered the key to another room if I had to log in for any reason. Thankfully, I didn't have to.

One of the technical people said that all of the rooms were going to be checked this week to make sure no one else had a problem.

Our only gripe was with the pool area on the weekends. Too many people reserve spots by leaving a book and towel on chairs. They don't police this and by 1pm there are many people that can't find a chair near the pool. This problem isn't confined to just this hotel but to most resort hotels. I would suggest (and will when we return) that they monitor the chairs and those left unoccupied for a period of time be released for other guests to use. One couple next to us keep on leaving to go to the gym, a bike ride, and to get lunch. They only returned to jump in the pool and dry off. Their books spent more time in the chairs than they did. This is not only unfair, but inconsiderate.

All in all, even with the internet problem (which I had to use because of work), the stay was great. We're looking forward to going back next month. This hotel has an incredibly loyal following and seems to be sold out quite often. After spending 8 days there, we can see why.

Mary
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Update on the Grand Cypress

I am currently at the hotel arriving on New Year's today and departing Tuesday. The hotel is very busy but apparently quiet compared to New Year's Eve where they were at 100% and had a special 10k baloon drop. I received what has been talked about as the regular CC holder room with two bathrooms. I was not offered nor requested a suite. The RC is very busy and this morning we had to wait for a table despite the fact they opened the satellite RC in the suite across the hall.

The property is well decorated for the holidays and is grand as always.

Any of my fellow Flyertalkers in the house?
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Questions

Well, I'm not there now but thinking about using FFNs late March, early April and have a couple of questions. Is a car necessary? Would like to just relax and enjoy a 4-5 day stay at the property instead of the usual jam-packed, always on-the-go vacation. I've been to Orlando once . . . is the Hyatt Grand Cypress within walking distance of anything? Or will the hotel shuttle suffice if we want to venture out one or two days? Perhaps a shuttle from/to the airport is going to end up costing more than a rental car. I know, we'll be at the mercy of RC and the hotel restaurants without a car. And the all important question, is the pool really as cold as everyone mentions?
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Originally Posted by Steph58
Well, I'm not there now but thinking about using FFNs late March, early April and have a couple of questions. Is a car necessary? Would like to just relax and enjoy a 4-5 day stay at the property instead of the usual jam-packed, always on-the-go vacation. I've been to Orlando once . . . is the Hyatt Grand Cypress within walking distance of anything? Or will the hotel shuttle suffice if we want to venture out one or two days? Perhaps a shuttle from/to the airport is going to end up costing more than a rental car. I know, we'll be at the mercy of RC and the hotel restaurants without a car. And the all important question, is the pool really as cold as everyone mentions?
Yes, a car is definitely necessary in Orlando and frankly in most parts of Florda. While the RC is definitely one of the better ones in the US, it is by no means a replacement for a full service restaurant. They have an excellent staff headed by Shirley and Nancy are quite helpful but the food services can be limited. In fact, one night the chicken cordon blue was barely an appetizer. The restaurants at GC are good but can be tiring after a few nights. Orlando enjoys can some great restaurants and the car will allow you to see around the city. The only restaurants at the end of the long driveway are the Orlando Ale House, Olive Garden, and a chinese buffet which appears rather gross!

And, yes the pool is frigid!

Last edited by bas5838; Jan 8, 2005 at 6:15 pm
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:07 am

There are actually 2 pools at the Grand Cypress. It looks like one continuous pool, but isn't. One is heated and the other is not. In November, the non-heated pool was so cold not even the kids could stand it.

The heated pool is minimally heated. I think they take it up to about 78 or 79. That's still not warm enough for me to go in very far. I used it to cool my feet/legs when it was too hot to sit on a chair last May.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:58 am

I would consider any room that does not face the road (rte 535) a good room. Those on the other side are quieter, and from some, you can see the fireworks at Epcot at night.

#1109 is a nice room, but it is really no larger than any of the other rooms. I believe it has 2 queen beds, but I really don't remember. What makes the room nice is that is can become part of a suite. It has two full bathrooms with a nice dressing area in between. It is very spacious in that regard. The counter in the dressing area is probably at least 6 ft. long.

However, this room is a toughie to get. I had 4 stays there last year, the longest being 8 nights, and only managed to get it for our FIRST stay as hotel newbies. The concierge has noted our preference and calls us about a week before we arrive, but she hasn't been able to block it for us since. The last time we were there someone was in it for a 2 week stay.

I don't know how many suites they have, but the only time I was offered one was as a move when the high speed access in the room didn't work. We refusd it because it was not on the Regency Club floor.

I think all the rooms are nice, particularly on the RC floor. I didn't like the sound/view from the street facing rooms, but it may not bother you.

FWIW - I've never used 1/800 checkin for this hotel.

Another note - I've also never been given the room early in the day. They are very good to their diamonds and let them check out late almost as a rule. I think the earliest we ever got in was around 4pm. They stored our luggage.

So, be prepared if you arrive early with a change of clothes & whatever you might need until you can get in.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I will add my 2 cents from a stay (first time) just a couple weeks ago, but Mary definitely is the expert on this Hyatt. We stayed in room 844 which is a RC room but not on the same floor as RC. It was a pool view and we would have been able to see fireworks had we been in the room at the time of the fireworks. My impression is all the rooms are pretty much the same. We arrived about 1 p.m. just off a redeye from the west coast, so we were hoping to get a room early. They had preassigned me to this better, pool view room but it wasn't yet available. They said we could get a room on the street side right then. I asked to take a look and someone kindly took me up there. Nothing wrong with the room, but decided to wait for the preassigned pool view. The only difference in the rooms (besides location) was one had white comforters, the other a green. We were tired--checked back around 3:00, still not availalble but they took my cell phone number and offered to call when it was ready. No call by 4:00, so we went back--room was ready. The public areas, grounds, pools and amenities here are very nice and I'm sure your family will really enjoy themselves. The rooms are--hotel rooms; nice enough, clean, updated. The bellman mentioned all rooms have new mattresses; it was a bit on the hard side for me, definitely doesn't compare to a Heavenly bed. Everyone here is overly nice (kind of Stepford-like) and service is great. I especially enjoyed the crab claws and shrimp at RC on the first evening! After that it was wings, tacquitos, meatballs, etc. Also, very delicious cookies in the afternoon. Although they mention a resort fee, I was not charged. We splurged and used valet parking ($15/day) because the self park lot was always full. Yes, a very nice Orlando resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.