Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2003, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Grand Cypress worth it?

Missing FFN by just two weeks on a trip to Orlando so I am using 30K Hyatt points for two nights at this hotel. It has taken me A LONG time to build up those points to I do not want to use them hastily. However, I only get to MCO once per year so I would love to try the Cypress out but I am torn by the 30K points it is going to cost me. With FFN I have never needed to use my points before. My other option is Hilton which has rates under $89 per night and using my Gold status there (A Gold status that I rarely use since becoming Hyatt Diamond and since Hilton has pissed me off on upgrades when paying the full rate)
Old May 17, 2003, 9:02 pm

Its a fine hotel, but not necessarily worth the use of points. It is basically a highrise hotel, with lots of noisy common space and a variety of bars and restaurants. The pool area is nice, and the grounds are spacious. I actually prefer the Villas of Grand Cypress - at the other end of the property - which is unaffiliated with the Hyatt. Have you checked rates at www.expedia.com and www.quickbook.com ? Orlando frequently has very attractive rates for top tier hotels, and it might discourage you from using the points for this stay. By the way - I have actually sworn off returning to Grand Cypress because they charge one of those obnoxious "resort fees" to cover...things that are or should be included in your room rate.
Old May 18, 2003, 12:23 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never stayed at Hyatt Grand Cypress, but have stayed at the Villas at Grand Cypress, and we felt they were a soothing island of calm amidst the madness of Disney World. Definitely recommend those villas!
Old May 18, 2003, 9:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BeantownFlyer:
By the way - I have actually sworn off returning to Grand Cypress because they charge one of those obnoxious "resort fees" to cover...things that are or should be included in your room rate.</font>
Unfortunately the Resort fee has become a fact of life, and almost every Hyatt resort in North America charges $10 for this. So if you swear off Hyatt Resorts with a resort fee you will miss out of experiencing some great properties.

Grand Cypress has never shown up on Priceline, so that is not an option. Although the Swan and Dolphin have, along with the Hilton Resort. My guess is that they all have Resort Fees.

Grand Cypress is a nice property, but probably not worth 30,000 points. It is definitely worth 2 FFNs. I?ve gotten it for around $150 a night in the past, but I think that was with the now defunct 50% off United certificates.
Old May 23, 2003, 6:09 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
I stayed at this property a couple of times and loved it. They upgraded us to a huge executive suite the 1st time, and to a spacious junior the 2nd time. Regency Club is among the best in North America. Some of the facilities could use a face-lift, and there was certainly too much commotion in some of the common areas at times - but I still find it to be a phenomenal resort for FFNs and a good value with 50% off certs.
Old May 28, 2003, 6:54 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I stayed at the Grand Cypress last August with my wife and sone who was 4 at the time. I'm a picky son of a ____ and I loved this place! Room was wonderful, staff extra friendly and the gigantic pool is simply awesome. Lots of caves, waterfalls and slides; perfect for a kid and a father that acts like a kid. Regency Club was excellent. The only disappointment was the food served in their Mexican restaurant.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Jul 28, 2003, 7:35 am

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Changes at Hyatt Grand Cypress Regency Club...

This is all repeated from IndyHyattHopper, as it has been a while since I was home...

They got a new Manager of RC.
Silvana got a promotion to Supervisor.
Silvana subsequently left Hyatt.
Moon is ill.

The new manager made some changes:

The changes I saw were for the worse, but now she is making some for the better...

1. Less veggie selection
2. Less easy food (read kid friendly!)
3. More "fancy food"

Come on...it is still Orlando. I know that it is a very upscale hotel for Orlando, but have more simple food choices...

On the good side, which in fairness is what IHH and my mom saw on their last trip through:

You don't have that silly 8PM cutoff for beer and wine!!! How great is this? At 7:58PM they used to come around and "fill you up" if you wanted a glass for dessert. No more... Now you can have your cake and drink Aria too!!! (or a cordial...)

IHH, please tell me if I misstated...

Hyatt...please bring back more easy food!!! Nothing fancy...just cucumbers and peppers and tomatoes, etc. and dip... Crackers and cheese...
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:12 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
I have been to this property a couple of times, and I found some of the club staff useless. They new almost nothing about local restaurants, and less about local golf. I recall a woman with a British accent who was better.

------------------
United UGS, MM
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun
Old Oct 9, 2003, 1:48 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Orlando Grand Cypress stay

I just had 3 nights at this hotel. I was 'upgraded ' to here after the other Orlando Hyatt went into bankruptcy- at the same points. :-)
Wonderful stay. One of the best regency clubs I have experienced in the US, staffed by ladies who went out of their way to help.
I hired a car , which was unnecessary as the free shuttle service to most of the theme parks was sufficient. Still, the self parking was free and plentiful.
Terrific amenities , the pool was to die for.
Good, modern rooms, quiet ac and effecient, friendly staff.
This whole experience - from the GP staff who moved my points booking thru to the hotel itself- made me realise the benefit of trying just that bit harder to retain Diamond membership...
Old Oct 9, 2003, 6:42 am

Thanks for the report, and it was nice to hear that Hyatt treated you right after the closing of the Orlando "slum" hotel. But you don't mention the "Resort Fee" the hotel insists on charging, which is the sole reason I will not return to the Grand Cypress. If they have eliminated this obnoxious charge, please do tell - otherwise I would caution all that this is one of those nickel and dime you locations that thinks it is ok to charge a fee - once you arrive - for services that should be included in your room rate. And before I get flamed by people saying "everyone" does it, I can assure you that I have stayed at several hotels of the same or better caliber in Orlando that charge no such thing, inlcuding both the Portifino Bay and Hard Rock hotels at Universal, The Grand Flordidian and even Marriott's World Center and the adjoining timeshares such as Imperial Palms. And by the way - I am Hyatt Diamond, so skipping a Hyatt is a big step for me!

[This message has been edited by BeantownFlyer (edited 10-09-2003).]
Old Oct 10, 2003, 6:17 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
While I will first say, I loved this property--I also want to add my experience with the 'resort fee'. I was duly charged the fee at check out--but was never told nor given anything showing what it included. Thus I did not use any of the water boats or other activities assuming there would be some extra outrageous fee for each useage. At check out, when I asked what the fee on my bill was for, it was then explained that all those activites were included in the resort fee. A little too late for me to partake of any!
Old Oct 10, 2003, 1:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Great resort and RC club.

What is included in the resort fee is:
Pitch and put golf
Bike rentals (only around the property though)
Boat use - paddle boats, sail
Towel use at the pools
Old Oct 10, 2003, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smilee:
Great resort and RC club.

Pitch and put golf
Towel use at the pools
</font>
Thanks. i am only a platinum. i wonder if they let us use the certificate to gain access of RC ?

the activities sound great. would love to do the boat - sail boat, a Sunfish ? that would be neat. oh, even paddle boat would be fun, though i would wish to do such activities in a true lake setting. BC and The Rockies are wonderful for that. ;-)

[This message has been edited by Happy (edited 10-10-2003).]
Old Oct 10, 2003, 3:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smilee:
Pitch and put golf
Towel use at the pools
</font>
It has been a couple of years since I was there, but are you sure all of this is included in the $10 fee. It use be that you got a 'discount' on things like the pitch and putt, and boats.

Normally (at most Hyatt Resorts) the Resort Fee includes things that should be free anyhow, like self parking, gym usage, the morning paper, local calls etc.

Old Oct 10, 2003, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just there last week and can confirm what smilee listed. In addition, it also includes free local calls, free 800 number access. It is reasonable if you intend to use those facilities anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.