Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Dearborn Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Left 31 Oct 12-Now Adoba hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dearborn Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Left 31 Oct 12-Now Adoba hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:32 pm
VWE

Programs: SPG.plat Hyatt.Diamond. Delta.DM MillionMiler : UA 1P
Thank you bulldoggolfer05. its great when people post lots of photos from a stay. I stayed at that hotel for 1-night about 2 years ago, looks exactly like the room I had
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Just completed a 1 night stay at the HR Dearborn. I was concerned about my choice from the previous postings, but actually had a nice stay. Service, in my opinion was outstanding--as good as any Hyatt I've experienced. Yes, the hotel is very dated--like a step back to 1990 or so, but it's clean and my room, on the 12th floor, was in good condition. The room is a bit Comfort Innish with a Hyatt bed (but I'm staying at a Comfort in a couple of weeks, so what do I care?). The breakfast buffet is very good, and service very friendly. The hotel seemed reletively empty on this Wednesday night, however the restaurant did get somewhat busy in the morning, and the lobby bar had quite a few people in it from what I observed. Parking is free ( and the mall is very nearby with a good choice of restaurants.

I think it's a very good value in Dearborn--convenient to many parts of the metro area. It is a HUGE hotel showing its age and lack of business. You can definitely envision the "heydays" with its closed restaurants, quiet valet and overwhelming presence.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any updates on the club? Namely, is it closed temporarily, or permanently, and do we get the 2500 points?
Old May 16, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by hobo13
Any updates on the club? Namely, is it closed temporarily, or permanently, and do we get the 2500 points?
No more 2500 points. The club lounge is closed permanently.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hobo13
Can confirm what kingsubbu said. I stayed here a week ago, and there was a gentlemen checking in at the same time who asked about the club lounge. The agent said that the club was permanently closed and because of that there was no DN bonus given.

The hotel itself was OK, nothing special. I didn't receive any upgrade other than to the floor that required a keycard. I also didn't feel that breakfast was anything special, although it was in a nicer-than-usual setting. Only the buffet was offered to me, and no omelette station was available during my visit.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I was in Detroit this weekend, the Dearborn property is the closest Hyatt around, so I stayed there - used a Diamond Suite upgrade, had the Diamond line rep set it up a month ago.

The hotel had 3 conventions and a prom (Friday) - when I checked in Friday they claimed they had no knowledge of my suite reservation, and were 'completely booked' for the weekend, could give me a double double on a corner and that's it. After standing at the desk for 10+ mins flipping through the archived emails on my phone, I found the one that the Diamond line had generated with the suite upgrade confirmed by the mgmt at Dearborn. At that point they were happy to give me one of the available suites on the 14th floor (which is the only floor requiring keycard in the elevator).

Downside of the 14th floor is that many/most of the elevator card readers wouldn't function - in elevator that goes to the rotunda, neither card reader worked, so all weekend I had to send that elevator away if that was the one that opened to the lobby when I wanted to go up.

Breakfast was fine, no omelettes, but fruit was decent and pastries good

The suite was a preserved 80's time capsule - it was hilarious in tackiness. The TV's were updated to the 90s (26" tubes) and had dvd players hooked up (I assume they worked, didn't try them).

Voss bottled water in the suite was a nice touch. However, only the standard white ginger soaps -- this was also the case in the Chicago ORD suite I was in the prior week -- I wonder if Hyatt changed their policy and no longer puts nicer soaps in the suites.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Also just stayed last week on a Diamond Suite Upgrade. I never have service problems with the hotel at all--no line at check in or out. Got a large suite 1412. Suites are actually quite nice--not as dated as the rooms (except still the tube tvs), and two bathrooms. The full bath is as small as the baths in the regular rooms, and the typical amenities plus qtips and such. The room was in excellent condition and clean.

As part of my new year's resolution, I used the workout facilities for the first time. Great workout area and equipment. I was impressed. The only issue is having to walk past the front desk and through the convention area to get there.

Breakfast is average--buffet has a few of the typical things, but eating here really really blow me away. I used the coffee shop for my Diamond breakfast one day.

Dinner was at Bravo and Big Fish a short drive/walk through mall parking lot. Good choices, along with a PF Changs next to Bravo. I've got 2 more stays here in February. Wish it had more amenities, but it works, and I understand it probably struggles quite a bit with the Detroit economic situation and being such a huge hotel.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by SURGEADDICT
i stayed there once and they had a PH floor and then a 14 and 15th floor with Rotunda at 16
ANY updates? im going up there in summer.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SURGEADDICT
ANY updates? im going up there in summer.
I'm on a long stay at the property right now, and I have only the kindest things to say about the property and its staff.

I used a Diamond confirmed suite upgrade, and was placed in a spacious and comfortable VIP suite. The decor is perhaps a little dated for some, but I found nothing objectionable. (If I want to watch HDTV, I stay home.)

The exercise facilities and pool are of ample size and, most importantly, are never crowded on weeknights. (Note: The property does host youth sports teams on weekends, but we found them unobtrusive.)

The Diamond breakfast benefit covers breakfast at the Giulio and Sons restaurant; I'm happy to report that the quality of food (choice of buffet or anything on the menu) was very good and service very friendly and attentive.

Finally, the property's location allows for convenient commute to all of the Metro Detroit area. (In the heart of rush hour, we reached Troy--the opposite side of town--from the property in 30 minutes. Downtown Detroit is 10 minutes away.)

These qualities make the HR Dearborn a no brainer for any GP visitor to Metro Detroit--especially those who are Diamonds.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:22 am

do they styill have a 15th floor after the elevator goes into the tube?
Old May 7, 2012, 12:11 am

Hyatt Dearborn is now set to close (or at the very least lose it's Hyatt flag):

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/H...v/-/index.html

(really a bummer in my opinion as Detroit area business seems, at least to my eyes, to be rebounding somewhat)
Old May 7, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
Finally, the property's location allows for convenient commute to all of the Metro Detroit area. (In the heart of rush hour, we reached Troy--the opposite side of town--from the property in 30 minutes. Downtown Detroit is 10 minutes away.)

These qualities make the HR Dearborn a no brainer for any GP visitor to Metro Detroit--especially those who are Diamonds.

Troy isn't the opposite side of metro Detroit and downtown Detroit isn't ten minutes from the Hyatt in Dearborn. Nevertheless, as noted, Hyatt is departing from the property, so it's irrelevant. Local article notes, based on quotes from Dearborn's mayor, how poorly prepared the new owners of the Dearborn Hyatt were to operate a top property, as opposed to Marriott which took over the Dearborn RC and has quickly and successfully revamped the property, now "The Henry". The article notes that the apparent reason for Hyatt's departure is the owners refusal to maintain Hyatt standards. Can't blame Hyatt for that.

Last edited by ohmark; May 7, 2012 at 10:43 am
Old May 7, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is one of the worst Hyatt's around! I have stayed a few times and after another service experience, requested to speak to the GM. Instead, I got the F&B Mgr. The rooms were very dated, never upgraded even though hotel was always empty. The best thing was the PF Changs across the parking lot at the Mall.

This was a really dirty beat up hotel!

After 3 stays I moved to the Hyatt Place. A bit further but much cleaner!!!
Old May 7, 2012, 10:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Not just awful. This property is comically awful.

I booked two stays at this property earlier this year to bookend some travel across North America. Used upgrade certs and was assigned a massive end room with an adjoining standard king room. The end room was so wide, you could park a Buick but with furniture and lighting so ill fitting the room was of neither use nor ornament. To add to the comedy, the king bed was barely 6 feet long.

I retreated to the adjoining room and cancelled my booking for later in the week.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Prospero
The end room was so wide, you could park a Buick...
A humorous reference to the Buicks of yore, and not the new streamlined babies, I presume.

Last edited by ohmark; May 7, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.