Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD 2000-8/2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD 2000-8/2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2002, 1:29 am

There's no difference in room size. RC rooms are the same rooms as non-RC rooms. The only difference is that the RC rooms are on the dedicated RC floors, which won't really matter much to you as you will get RC access either way.

This is a great property with great treatment for Diamond members, but I wouldn't expect any sort of suite upgrade.

The normal rooms are a reasonable size .. not huge, but not tiny either.

-David
Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:33 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
The oceanfront rooms are bigger than some of the other rooms. You will love the hotel and the RC.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:29 am

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
You will love the hotel and the staff....

I actually thought the room was quite big. We had 1K (not 2DB) and we travel with A LOT of luggage...

If it makes you feel better, United moved my 4 BR home from Indianapolis to Denver. And I am talking about United Airlines, NOT United Vanlines... Every week I would pack three monstrous size suitcases and tip the same skycap pretty well. He just laughed and asked which room this week... Pots, pans, sofa cushions... He kept joking that I would show up with the sofa one day...

Where are you moving to???
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:04 am

Whereas the rooms in the Hyatt Waikiki were pretty good (for Waikiki) the RC is the best thing in that hotel. The staff was the best. They will remember your name for all 10 nights and mornings. Drinks are free and the food comes from the downstairs restaurants. I am sure you will have a great time there.
Old Dec 25, 2002, 3:51 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
HNL Hyatt Regency

Last minute planning brought two options for a trip over new years – the Hyatt Waikiki or the Hilton – EASY CHOICE!

So, I have not stayed at this hotel in 10 years – since I do stay at the Mandarin Oriental Kahala 6-8 tines per year on business and they can not find me a room for this trip, my loyalties are now up for grabs.

I am booked in what looks like a basic room and it was the only thing available at the hotel. I am a Diamond as well. Any intelligence data on the hotel, preferred tower, or Diamond treatment would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by B Watson (edited 12-25-2002).]
Old Dec 25, 2002, 7:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I stayed there in 1985 so my info is a bit dated, but at that time it was very important to stay in the RC for a simple reason: exclusive access to the rooftop sun deck and jacuzzis. This really changed the character of that hotel. At that time it was the nicest hotel in Waikiki.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 1:23 am

The nicest room there would be a view room either of Diamond Head or ocean view. But in any event all the rooms have nice balconies. The rooms are not huge, but they will take good care of you as a Diamond member including very nice welcome ammenity and RC floor room or RC access. The RC is one of the best in the system. Probably the best place to be is on a high RC floor in the tower with the RC .. the one closer to Diamond Head.

I've heard that the Mandarin Oriental is very nice, but I've never stayed there.

-David
Old Dec 26, 2002, 7:55 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LIH Prem:
The nicest room there would be a view room either of Diamond Head or ocean view. But in any event all the rooms have nice balconies. The rooms are not huge, but they will take good care of you as a Diamond member including very nice welcome ammenity and RC floor room or RC access. The RC is one of the best in the system. Probably the best place to be is on a high RC floor in the tower with the RC .. the one closer to Diamond Head.

I've heard that the Mandarin Oriental is very nice, but I've never stayed there.

-David
</font>
The room we received as Diamonds was a deluxe ocean view, which was huge.

They have the best RC in NA I have seen so far.

We did not like the rooftop jacuzzi too much.

But a real nice hotel !
Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I second the positive comments posted already, and I too think you'll enjoy your stay.

I would say the facility is somewhat dated, both the lobby area and rooms, and consequently the HR Waikiki doesn't feel like a top-class hotel at first glance but this is made up for by the friendly staff, great views from the ocean view rooms, and fine Regency Club.

BWatson -- The buildings are hexagonal I think, so there are two sides of the building that offer good views -- one facing Diamond Head directly with the ocean off to the side, and the other facing the ocean directly with Diamond head off to the side. I think I prefer the latter.

I'd have to add the Erawan BKK to the list of my favorite Hyatts in Asia. I know it might not be the favorite of some on this board but as a repeat guest, I find that I get the royal treatment.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 1:32 am

And don't forget the limousine service for RC guests. We stayed there on Thanksgiving and used the service a lot. I agree - it's one of the best RC service in N. America.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 28, 2002, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
I stayed there two years ago and the service was really friendly for Diamond.
Service was almost as nice as the Kauai property.
Now that I hear Honolulu property has been spruced up and viewed favorably by other people's recent stays, I'm planning for revisit in next 6 months to both Honolulu and Kauai.

[This message has been edited by npei (edited 12-28-2002).]
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:08 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
OK - I came - I saw and I did NOT concur

I know how many of you seemed to REALLY like this hotel - I am so sorry if I missed something. In any case, I thought the RC was a tiny little dump and the rooms were pathetic. (great view from the 38TH floor ocean front however)

Of course the design of the place makes a simple quit and peacefully place to sit and have a drink impossible. Cap it all off with THOUSANDS of kids and 10 minute elevator waits and I don't get the point.

We had dinner at the Halekulani the first night and I found a manger I know and got down on one knee - they managed to find a room for me which was a miracle since they were actually oversold for my whole stay.

In any case, I hated the hotel and feel like I have now returned to civilization - I am sitting outside having a drink and typing this on wireless ethernet - Life is good.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 4:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
OK - I came - I saw and I did NOT concur
I know how many of you seemed to REALLY like this hotel - I am so sorry if I missed something.
</font>
I was afraid that the Hyatt had fallen to this fate (seems to happen to hotels attached to shopping malls), thus my qualification that I liked it in 1985. It does illustrate the problem of understanding what people mean when they recommend a hotel (everyone has different criteria). Can't imagine why someone would want to be in Waikiki for New Year's Eve, though, even if it is at the Halekulani.

Old Dec 31, 2002, 6:41 pm

I think that it's a great hotel, but no, it is not a five star hotel. I think that's what B. Watson was looking for.

-David
Old Jan 2, 2003, 4:21 am

I think you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and if you expected a 5 star property I can understand why you were disappointed.

Also if you expected the RC to be as nice as the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong's RC (or similar), then, in that case, it might not seem quite as nice as that .. I agree, it's not even close to that, but within the US, it is a very nice RC, and though it's smaller than clubs like the Grand HK, I don't think it's a dump .. I've seen clubs that are dumps, and this one is not a dump.

Also, I think that many people here (myself included) probably rate the hotels in terms of value offered especially from the frequent quest and elite status point of view, and from that perspective, the hotel is excellent.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.