Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by m0hamed
As far as I am concerned no room in this hotel is quiet, unless you're in a suite. The doors have almost an inch gap at the bottom which allows all noise in the corridors to keep you awake at night.

I refuse to stay here unless I'm confirmed into a suite.
I agree mostly, there are a lot of fairly average rooms at this property, and a handful of good ones.

IMHO the best non-suite rooms at this property are the "Club View" rooms (xx13 and xx14) on levels 28/29 mostly, as they are a pair of rooms in an alcove behind the service elevator. The alcove seems to limit noise to guests accessing the other of these two rooms only. They are also a rectangle shape rather than a wedge, which some people may prefer.

The same rooms on levels 31ish and up have an interconnecting door to the "big" suites (Diplomatic / Premier), so are less desirable.

This property remains a good use of a DSU, as all suites at this hotel are great rooms.

The Grand Suite (DSU upgrade) is a great room, and combined with a good rate and a DSU represents great value for a Melbourne CBD hotel.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by penegal
They seem to regularly give out rooms pre-allocated for Diamonds to other guests, then give Diamonds inferior rooms, they forget to add late check-out, they forget to ask / apply the diamond amenity, and the list goes on.
This exact thought had crossed my mind, and I'm fairly certain (without being able to confirm) that this is actually what happened in my case... the knucklehead gave away our room thinking we were no-shows, and tried really REALLY hard to convince us how great our newly assigned room was.

Mona probably gets dirty hands dealt all the time... she seems like she's had a lot of practice dealing with it

And P.S. The Diamond amenity points haven't posted. Sigh.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Melbourne stay: advice

Hi all,

I have an upcoming long weekend stay in Melbourne for four nights.

I am booking using Air NZ airpoints and am weighing up between Grand Hyatt and Park Hyatt. Both would be standard rooms and I have no status at Hyatt.

I am not bothered by exec lounge but want a nice room to chill out in and be close (walking distance) to bars and restaurants

The Park Hyatt is about 30% more points, is it worth the premium over the Grand hyatt? From the website the Grand rooms look quite compact?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
The Park Hyatt is about 30% more points, is it worth the premium over the Grand hyatt? From the website the Grand rooms look quite compact?
Park Hyatt is worth it IMHO. The base room is substantially larger. Both hotels are walking distance to each other, and plenty of bars, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

Base room at Grand Hyatt - 33sqm
Base room at Park Hyatt - 48sqm
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:18 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Park Hyatt is worth it IMHO. The base room is substantially larger. Both hotels are walking distance to each other, and plenty of bars, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

+1
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum

+1
Thanks! Have gone ahead and booked the Park Hyatt. Looking forward to it!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
I stay at the GH Melbourne six or seven times each year and like the hotel and its staff. The use of DSU's for the suites is great value. On my stay last weekend I noticed a real improvement in the food offerings in the Club Lounge. There is now a separate dessert station to the left as you enter the lounge. Desserts used to be a small section at the end of the main table previously.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Pierre48
I stay at the GH Melbourne six or seven times each year and like the hotel and its staff. The use of DSU's for the suites is great value. On my stay last weekend I noticed a real improvement in the food offerings in the Club Lounge. There is now a separate dessert station to the left as you enter the lounge. Desserts used to be a small section at the end of the main table previously.
I've also throughly enjoyed the GH as a truly fantastic property, although I've never been to the PH. I thought the GH was awesome with such great staff who remember me that I continue to stay there on subsequent trips.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:51 pm

Looking forward to an upcoming stay here on C+P plus DSU. Do Diamonds have the choice of full buffet breakfast in lieu of club lounge, or must breakfast be eaten in the lounge?

Thnx
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ross0
Looking forward to an upcoming stay here on C+P plus DSU. Do Diamonds have the choice of full buffet breakfast in lieu of club lounge, or must breakfast be eaten in the lounge?

Thnx
Nope. It's an expensive $22 uncharge.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:14 pm

Nope. It's an expensive $22 uncharge.
Darn. Stayed last year as PLT but on AmEx PLT rate and enjoyed the buffet
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:16 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Darn. Stayed last year as PLT but on AmEx PLT rate and enjoyed the buffet
Why not check the FHR rate? In fact, you could probably just email the hotel to alter the rate plan for you to avoid DSU issues.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:27 pm

Why not check the FHR rate? In fact, you could probably just email the hotel to alter the rate plan for you to avoid DSU issues.
The hotel no longer participates in FHR
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
The hotel no longer participates in FHR
Correct - the Crown Towers was added and the Grand Hyatt was dropped from FHR in Melbourne for 2016
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:50 pm

Hey guys
How are the evening club lounge offerings at this property?

For ease of comparison, the good spreads I've experienced are from GH KL, HOTB Shanghai, GH Bali, GH BKK to name a few...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.