Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by helvetic
Did lounge breakfast this am, but will try to see if I can do restaurant breakfast by asking.
IIRC, there was a AU$22 pp upcharge to have full breakfast in the restaurant rather than the lounge.

Last edited by serfty; May 4, 2019 at 1:33 am
Old May 4, 2019, 2:18 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by serfty
IIRC, there was a AU$22 pp upcharge to have full breakfast in the restaurant rather than the lounge.
At the GH NYC once I was complained about how I hated the lounge breakfast and whether they could give me restaurant breakfast (in my defense, the lounge breakfast is absolutely awful there). The front-desk attendant said "I'm going to ask you if you have any severe food allergies and you're going to say yes" and gave me vouchers. 🤣
serfty, luvFclass and drewp123 like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:17 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Few annoyances here:

- The elevators are infuriating… the card reader is super finicky, and when you press a number it shows as active and if it didn't register the card correctly it'll take 20s to disappear. The result is that half the time, you don't end up going to the right floor, and if you're unlucky enough that it switches direction, you're taken on a whole round-trip all the way down and back up. So… f'ing… annoying.

- The power outlets in the club lounge require a ground pin to activate. That means that most travel adapters won't work. I had to use the hotel minibar adapter which was made for AU and had the ground pin to get power in the club lounge. It's an unnecessary annoyance. Room power outlets have a switch and don't have this issue.

Big fan of the club lounge though, decent food selection with nice attentive staff.

Now, for the great: this hotel has the best hotel gym I've ever seen. Absolutely fantastic gym!
Old May 5, 2019, 2:32 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

Now, for the great: this hotel has the best hotel gym I've ever seen. Absolutely fantastic gym!
Ha, that's because it's a real gym and not a hotel gym. Just in the same building. I often stay at the PH and go to the PH to train.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist. Previously: A3-*G, LH-FTL
Few annoyances here:

- The elevators are infuriating… the card reader is super finicky, and when you press a number it shows as active and if it didn't register the card correctly it'll take 20s to disappear. The result is that half the time, you don't end up going to the right floor, and if you're unlucky enough that it switches direction, you're taken on a whole round-trip all the way down and back up. So… f'ing… annoying.
This was indeed a problem in the past but during my visit in May I noticed it was fixed by changing the elevator card mechanism to tap rather than insert the card.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Its annoying for sure especially when in a rush
Happened many times and years to me but still a Hyatt property that's an all time fave of mine
Big fan and looking forward to my return next month.Its fun to ride up and down in their elevators to get the scenic tour
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
What time does breakfast open for the lounge and colline's kitchen on Sundays? Will be there for the Melbourne marathon on 13th Oct. What would the option be if I want to eat something at around 5am or 5:30, and also around 11am?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Is the onsite car park eligible for the 'free parking on award stays' benefit?

I have a vague feeling that they try to weasel out of it at this property?

(j) Free Parking: Globalists receive free parking at participating Hyatt hotels or resorts for nights during which the Globalist stays on a Free Night Award. Free parking benefit is valid at Hyatt hotels or resorts that offer parking, provided that parking charges at such hotel or resort can be billed to the guest room/folio. Not valid at Hyatt Residence Club resorts. If both are offered by the applicable hotel or resort, benefit is valid for either valet or self-parking. Benefit does not apply to any night for which Globalist is not staying on a Free Night Award (e.g., any paid night’s stay) or any non-stay award redemption (e.g., Dining, Spa, and More Awards).
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by penegal

Time to push that perception aside and kick it to the curb
The Grand Hyatt Melbourne will honor Valet Parking complimentary on free nights for Globalists according to my go to team @ Hyatt
In my 25 years with the property I can say it’s one of my favorite Hyatt’s in the world with outstanding management and team members
They continue to raise the bar for Hyatt and much of the competition
No game playing with upgrades and the impressive Collins Kitchen one of the better breakfasts in Melbourne hands down
Its available for a slight up charge to Globalists Highly recommended
Exceptional professionalism more typically and a number of heartfelt caring team members that
genuinely take a personal interest in guests
Enjoy your stay
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:18 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
No game playing with upgrades and the impressive Collins Kitchen one of the better breakfasts in Melbourne hands down
I
I don't consider $22 'a slight upcharge.'
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Time to push that perception aside and kick it to the curb
The Grand Hyatt Melbourne will honor Valet Parking complimentary on free nights for Globalists according to my go to team @ Hyatt
In my 25 years with the property I can say it’s one of my favorite Hyatt’s in the world with outstanding management and team members
They continue to raise the bar for Hyatt and much of the competition
Its available for a slight up charge to Globalists Highly recommended
Exceptional professionalism more typically and a number of heartfelt caring team members that
genuinely take a personal interest in guests
Enjoy your stay
I think they should just let Globalists have it sans upcharge. That would make this property worthy of the praise you give it.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
It's a nice property. I like the location. Certainly better than the Marriott properties in the city I've stayed at (Marriott & Sheraton).

Having free restaurant breakfast would be nice for Globalists. I am staying again shortly - will try CL breakfast as I've never had it. Always had full one which indeed is good. $22 is not a small up charge. In general I wish Hyatts did better on breakfast upgrade policies for Globalists. I now stay at PH whenever possible because of breakfast benefit but there aren't enough
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by penegal

Yes, I had my parking comp'd on an award stay. Didn't need to say anything, the charge was pro-actively removed at check out.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I think they should just let Globalists have it sans upcharge. That would make this property worthy of the praise you give it.
Appreciate the post and thought
I don't disagree with you at all however I also don’t blame the property as Hyatt allows that presently
Have said this before publicly right here in this forum
Hilton is crushing it anywhere but the US with choice of lounge and or restaurant internationally
I sometimes do both as a Diamond on a given morning
The end result in just my own business is considerable in cities like London

Have always believed that top tier guests should have a choice not be mandated
to lounge only.Hyatt is asleep at the wheel imho and with all my kind words about Hyatt it won’t be a first
I’ve been hog tied and slaughtered for criticizing Park Hyatt New York breakfast benefit but almost every hotel I stay at does better
Having said all that here we have a property in Melbourne that plays fairly has a good solid suite upgrade and doesn’t micro- manage written benefits
Hopefully Hyatt steps up their game with freedom of choice for top tier and takes it to the next level to go after Hilton & others abroad

Occasionally they have offered to waive the up charge fee as a goodwill gesture
If there has been any reasonable concern that has mattered to me
serfty likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I don't consider $22 'a slight upcharge.'
I know you as a bright experienced traveler and poster with your heart historically
that lies with the Park Hyatt Melbourne
Speaking only as a hard to please spoiled American here are my thoughts
Collins Kitchen has an enormous amount of variety to choose from that’s mind numbing
Asian specialties, roasts ,sides and a wide variety of fruits,fresh sliced avocado and numerous items that may be granted by request if the chef isn’t to busy
One morning I had a cold the chef made wonton soup for me!
No matter what I order bottles of sparking water coffee tea juices and even select items not on offer they have delivered most of the time

In US dollars that’s less than 15 dollars to get a feast from the gods where lunch is out of the question that day even if a big eater
So IMHO for the price of a glass of orange juice at the Park Hyatt New York typically 12 dollars plus tax and gratuity
I have a feast in Melbourne for 3 extra dollars That’s my general assessment
I’m in NYC at the Intercontinental here in NYC and at 50 dollars a day locally there is nothing that can compare to Collins Kitchen
A limited breakfast at the ST Regis Chatwal or other area luxury hotel would cost easily 50 to 75 a person with ten dollar bottles of water and 32 dollar omelettes with potatoes & toast etc

As one final odd thought and data point for lack of better words
the Almond croissants at Collins Kitchen are outstanding
I’m addicted to them.Across the street directly from Collins Kitchen is a new trendy bakery with a line out the door every morning that specializes in freshly baked croissants.
An almond croissant is 9 AU plus dollars each and the visual appearance is impressive to their credit
and many buy them up as if they are giving them away it’s shocking
Yet Collins kitchen is superior in taste and consistency by far and you can eat as many as you want
My 15 dollars is money well spent

And yes I’d like to see World Of Hyatt eliminate the up charge in principal for Globalists
but not because Collins Kitchen doesn’t offer good value for the difference
but it’s good business abroad compared to Conrad Waldorf and other competitors abroad that offer choice to their best customers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 3, 2019 at 9:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.