Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:29 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by danger
Reports on FT suggest if you were to make an early morning arrival at the Park Hyatt Sydney you would get breakfast on that morning. I'll be staying at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne in a couple of weeks, arriving at the hotel off a midnight flight from Perth about 8am. What are my chances of being able to have breakfast in the lounge?
Excellent I did too on my last stay and the hotel was happy to give me club access before the room was ready
An outstanding stay all things considered ^
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I've just completed a very pleasant two day stay, one night on points, one night revenue.

As mentioned a couple of posts up I was due to arrive early and ended up at the hotel at 9.30am. The room wasn't ready which was perfectly fine and I was invited to help myself to the Club breakfast. The phoned me about 1.15pm to say that the room was ready and when I finally got there about 4.30pm after some shopping it was very nicely appointed. I'd been upgraded to a Club King, despite booking only a Grand King and the hotel being sold out since earlier in the week. I'm told this is one of their newly refurbished rooms. It is certainly large with an extremely comfortable king bed that looks out over the Yarra. I was in an x14 room, on the 'outside' of the semi-circle shape of the hotel. As I mentioned in post 87 here there was only a bottle of wine (not food and beverage amenity) in the room.

I was quite perplexed by the room description as having an "oversized work desk". It's actually more akin to a kitchen table and is the round thing that sits next to the L-shaped lounge. To me, I think Hyatt made a mistake here. The tones in the room are sort of reminiscent of a 1980s kitchen (in Australia, at least). I don't think it's right to call it a desk when it really is just a large table.

I took two friends to the Club Lounge on the first evening. Although travelling alone I had registered two guests, knowing that I'd be bringing at least one friend to the Lounge. I was told at check-in that additional guests for evening drinks and canapes would be charged at $30 per head. On arriving at the Lounge a little before 6pm my party of three was greeted by a staff member but that was it. We stayed there for almost three hours and there was no additional charge on my bill. There are about three full strength beers (Heineken, Crown Lager and James Boags) and a couple of light. The spirits offering wasn't extensive, I thought, with just the basics. The food was fabulous. Great little bites of fancy things including two hot offerings.

The Sunday morning I thought I'd have a big breakfast in Collins Kitchen which is a $20 surcharge for Club guests, rather than the full $38. The restaurant was packed! The lady seating guests asked if I, as a single diner, would mind sharing a large table of six with other people. Hmmmm. I won't dock Hyatt any points there but I politely retreated to the Club Lounge. The breakfast offering there wasn't extensive by any means but was very nice. No hot food but pastries, cereals, fruit, muesli etc. Monday morning I had the full breakfast in Collins Kitchen. Wow. They have three separate cooking or preperation stations with large, glass fridges next to two, plus another very large fridge with meats and cheeses. It's a sight, to be sure. The breakfast itself was outstanding.

The gym is extensive with LifeFitness equipment. I found one of the gym staff to be, well, unhelpful. I asked her how much the bar at the bench press weights, without weights. Her response was "I don't know, you'd have to ask one of the staff on the gym floor but there's only one at the moment and he's with a booked client for about an hour". Stupid. Okay, if you don't know, I could probably understand that but how hard would it be for you to duck over to your colleague, politely interrupt and enquire? Never mind. I'll just pretend I benched more than I usually do! The pool is small but nice and there is a steam room and sauna (male and female).

The only 'issue' I had with my staff was with e-concierge. I'd pre-ordered a couple of treats to be delivered on the evening of the first night. It didn't eventuate, despite receiving email confirmation about three days prior. I raised it with the Lounge manager who promptly corrected it for me. He said there was some confusion because one night was points and one night was revenue. I wouldn't have thought that should make a difference but oh well. It certainly wasn't a deal breaker.

All in all, a wonderful stay. The staff are very professional and polite and I very much look forward to returning.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:45 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Great report. You should note, however, the hotel is attached to a commercial gym, they are not hotel staff. The F&B Diamond amenity is inconsistent. Some times I get wine and chocolates, other occasions just wine.

I do like the refurb, but the Diamond upgrade of Club Deluxe Rooms at the Park Hyatt are much larger.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Great report. You should note, however, the hotel is attached to a commercial gym, they are not hotel staff. The F&B Diamond amenity is inconsistent. Some times I get wine and chocolates, other occasions just wine.

I do like the refurb, but the Diamond upgrade of Club Deluxe Rooms at the Park Hyatt are much larger.
Interesting as Health Club team members shared with me that they are hotel employees and that the gym is owned by the same folks/company who own/run the Grand Hyatt Melbourne.Not a third party as I understood it

I found all fitness club team members to be friendly engaging personally at Health Club check in and during my work out where there were smiles and light conversation throughout my workout session

I can not vouch for the above information regarding ownership/management
or the extent of the teams personal training knowledge.However I would assume one would need to speak with one of their certified trainers to get the correct information rather than the ladies who check you in hand out towels or other assistance
All in all this remains one of Melbournes best run fitness facilities/health club and the most powerful reason to stay at this property as there are other properties in the city that I prefer to stay in
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:38 pm

I've just completed a very pleasant two day stay, one night on points, one night revenue.
I was quite perplexed by the room description as having an "oversized work desk". It's actually more akin to a kitchen table and is the round thing that sits next to the L-shaped lounge. To me, I think Hyatt made a mistake here. The tones in the room are sort of reminiscent of a 1980s kitchen (in Australia, at least). I don't think it's right to call it a desk when it really is just a large table.
All in all, a wonderful stay. The staff are very professional and polite and I very much look forward to returning.
I think the odd looking desk makes sense in the smallest of rooms to open up the space though the desk design leaves something to be desired overall.....
However the bigger rooms should have desks as most hotel guests know them
as there will be some guests who will be turned off by the unusual integration/design of the desk ........
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:12 pm

The lady seating guests asked if I, as a single diner, would mind sharing a large table of six with other people. Hmmmm. I won't dock Hyatt any points there but I politely retreated to the Club Lounge.
If traveling solo I would've gone for this--could've been a blast! Especially if it was a table of Aussies! @:-)
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by awpeters
If traveling solo I would've gone for this--could've been a blast! Especially if it was a table of Aussies! @:-)
agreed ^
some of my best friendships and professional contacts have happened this way!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
+1 on the odd desk design - I rate that as an epic fail. One of the reasons (along with the infinitely superior pool) that I choose the Park over the Grand. Interesting that lately the price differential has been sod-all.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:15 pm

Even with the new renovation at Grand, is Park still a better choice for you guys?

The new GH rooms look pretty nice. Do bathrooms in Club rooms have separate shower and tub?

Which suite would you choose -- GH or PH?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi broadwayboy, my choice always is the Park Hyatt, yes it has seperate bathroom, large enough for two and a seperate shower. I also prefer the suites at the Park over the Grand, The evening food is better at the GH club, but the breakfast is better at the Park, as they use the downstairs restaurant. The standard club room at the Park has a fireplace, but they usually put me in the cathedral wing which is pleasant. The NEW GH rooms are good, ask for the garden/Yarra River views. Normal amenties for a diamond are fruit and wine. The GH is more of a business hotel and situated right in the middle of town whereas the Park is behind Parliament house in a garden locale.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:43 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I agree with BKKROP. The Club Deluxe Rooms are almost double the size of the room at the GH. Not all club rooms, however, have a fireplace at the PH. The leisure facilities at the PH are far superior.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Me three, PH all the way.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
I had a one-night points stay earlier in the week and was looking forward to seeing the refurbishment for myself.

Despite putting in my reservation an arrival time of 11AM the Club King room allocated to me was not ready on arrival so I was relieved of my bags and was sent up to the Grand Club lounge on Level 31 with the assurance that I would be called when the room was ready.

At this time I was also given a letter outlining reduced Grand Club services over the holiday season. There were only a few muffins and drinks on offer so I decided to head out to St Kilda on the tram rather than wait around.

Despite assurances that the room would be given priority by housekeeping, I returned at 2:45PM and was told that the room was still not ready. Given that the standard check-in time at this hotel is 2PM I found this quite disappointing.

I was offered an alternate Club King room but as it was located next to the elevators with accompanying noise I asked to be moved to a quieter room. After a short wait I was given a Club King corner room (2906) and the Diamond amenity was delivered.

Pre-dinner drinks were being held at RU-CO bar instead of the Grand Club lounge during this festive season which turned out to be rather good. Sweet fresh strawberries and bubbly made for a good accompaniment to my book.

The following morning breakfast was at Collins Kitchen (instead of the lounge) and there was an excellent spread of cooked-to-order options including Belgian waffles.

Check-out was flawless with breakfast charges already removed and I was on my way in a matter of minutes.

Overall the hotel staff were friendly and the property looks great post-refurbishment. However, they need to manage customer expectations better and ensure that an assigned room is ready at the latest by their 2PM check-in time.

Positives
  • Upgraded to Grand Club room with great views over Melbourne (third time lucky)
  • Provided with Diamond Amenity (but only after asking at Reception)
  • Refurbished rooms and public spaces
  • Great location near Flinders Street Station
  • Nespresso machine in-room
  • Excellent canapés provided at RU-CO bar in lieu of the Grand Club lounge

Negatives
  • Room was not ready on arrival despite notifying the hotel at reservation of a 11AM arrival
  • Diamond benefits were not explained (despite status being acknowledged at check-in)
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:35 pm

I recently returned for a one night stay and was pleasantly surprised that my room (I booked a Grand Suite) was ready at 10AM (I did request an early check-in) and was even more pleasantly surprised that the room had been upgraded to a... DIPLOMATIC SUITE!

The Suite is pretty large. The dining room has two (2) floor-to-ceiling windows with pretty amazing views of the city. There is a dining table that seats 8, a little study area before one enters the bedroom. Quite honestly I prefer the much more extensively renovated Grand Suite. Since Diplomatic Suite is so large, the renovation was not as major as Grand Room and Suites. However, I do appreciate the space and the views.

The welcome back Diamond amenity was a bowl of strawberry with dipping chocolate and a bottle of Pinot Noir Chardonnay.

Service was excellent. If there is one minor issue, for some reason, the Diplomatic Suite suffers from a lot of unnecessary noise from the neighboring rooms/spaces. I constantly heard plumbing noise (faucet being turned on), foot steps and banging sound. I could not figure out where the noise came from, especially when there is no more renovation work being done.

On another note, the hot hors d'oeuvres in Grand Club are not displayed buffet style, but rather passed on by waiters. I also noticed that some guestroom floors remain un-renovated. I wonder why.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:56 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

I've found the GH has lots of noise problems. The doors don't go to the floor and if in a Club King you can hear everything outside your room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.