Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Was wondering why this hotel is currently unavailable. It appears to be housing the players for the Australian Open (many quarantining).
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:11 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Yes. Some are in hard quarantine in the hotel after confirmed Covid pax on two charter flights. Confirmed contacts are now facing 14 days stuck in their rooms.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:37 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
I had a really poor stay here over New Year's Eve. My tip would be place a sizeable bet on a player assigned to a different hotel to beat any player staying at the GH. Those quarantined at the GH certainly won't be getting much sleep!

As a side note when the deal with the Westin fell through and the GH was added, all exisiting bookings at the GH were shifted to the PH.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
One worker at GH Melbourne tested positive.
many tennis players are staying there.
might put the Australian Open (tennis) at risk.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ming-the-worst
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:55 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Currently using a free night certificate here and the lounge is again semi-closed: open but unmanned with self serve coffee, tea, soft drinks etc.

Breakfast is offered downstairs and in addition a daily credit per room of A$35 for Collin's Kitchen/Room service is given.

Letter says due to Government restrictions, which is untrue but more palatable than the honest answer: "We are haemorrhaging money and have given up trying to staff the hotel in any meaningful way."
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:10 am

Received a mail advising of further changes to the lounge offering at this property. Sounds a lot like they are closing the lounge for the foreseeable future, and significantly scaling back the alternatives that were in place. I'm not really sure what they mean by "recent events" though. There have been a few COVID waves affecting Melbourne, but these have been ongoing since the start of the pandemic.
In light of the recent events some significant changes have occurred around the Hotel and we have had to temporarily suspend the Club Room Floors and offerings until further notice. With this decision I am reaching out to advise of further changes to your Globalist offering.

Below are the new inclusions you will be extended as a valuable Globalist member:

Arrival Amenity:

A bottle of Australian wine upon your arrival day.

Breakfast Service

Full buffet breakfast will be served daily in Collins Kitchen from 6:30am to 10:30am weekdays and 7:00am to 11:00am on weekends and public holidays.

Reception and Concierge Services

All Grand Club Lounge services, including Reception and Concierge assistance will be available via the main hotel reception located on Level 2.

This current situation is new to all of us and I apologise for any inconvenience you may experience.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:22 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
No F&B credit anymore?

I thought lounges were a GH brand strandard?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Not sure what's going on here. I was reliably informed a couple of months ago that the Grand Lounge will be reopening on 1 August once they've hired a new complement of staff. Is your stay before or after this date?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:21 pm

I don't have a current booking. I assume I was sent the mail as a frequent guest at the hotel.

I've since asked for clarification and was advised the lounge closure was a result of impacts due to the current pandemic, and Federal Government legislation impacting the community, industry and hotel. However, their offering is what they feel is the best alternative.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:26 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
That's interesting as I was under the impression rules in Victoria are easing further this evening. On a side note, I notice the Qantas F Lounge has reopened in Melbourne this week, so I do find the disparity in the same city for a similar service offering perplexing.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:28 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by WISEMEN
That's interesting as I was under the impression rules in Victoria are easing further this evening. On a side note, I notice the Qantas F Lounge has reopened in Melbourne this week, so I do find the disparity in the same city for a similar service offering perplexing.
The largest population centres in NSW and Queensland are declared red zones so most Melbourne hotels are reduced to non existent local travel and are pretty much just surviving on Weekend "staycation" type stays from locals and regional Victorians.

With all the extra, once deperately needed, increase in supply slowly coming on board pretty grim time to be in the Victorian Hotel Industry!
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:04 pm

Has anyone been to the Grand Hyatt Melbourne recently? Is the Grand Club lounge open? I've read that the Park Hyatt Melbourne club lounge is closed for the time being.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:07 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by christof
Has anyone been to the Grand Hyatt Melbourne recently? Is the Grand Club lounge open? I've read that the Park Hyatt Melbourne club lounge is closed for the time being.
GH MEL Lounge is open.

FYI the Park Lounge in MEL and Ambassador Lounge in CBR permanently closed to 'be in line with brand standards.'
christof likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:33 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by christof
Stayed 13th - 21st Feb and club lounge was still closed. Staff were looking forward to it re-opening the following week.
christof and tobikosan like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:46 am
vji

lounge is open again. wide selection including food, beer, wine, and spirits. good buffet from 6-8pm, could definitely replace a dinner if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.