Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 2:19 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by AUSMatt
Please let me know if there's another method you guys would recommend I employ as I don't want the wrath of the newly minted wife on changing rooms mid-stay!
They'll probably "sell" you the upgrade the first two nights for a fee - something around $100 a night.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by AUSMatt
Thanks. I had the Hyatt reps note it in the reservation, however, I was unable to speak with the FD or rooms control person directly at the hotel yet. I will try to call them the day before or during my layover the day of (morning OGG time) and see what I can accomplish.

Please let me know if there's another method you guys would recommend I employ as I don't want the wrath of the newly minted wife on changing rooms mid-stay!
Time for an update, AUSMatt. How was the honeymoon & did you get the first 2 nights upgraded?

We're planning on getting the chase cards soon & would like to know if you got a "cash" u/g offer at checkin. We'll be visiting first week of Feb.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
i have a stay upcoming in late July and I am a Platinum. My reservation indicates:

Family Vacation Resort Double
451 Sq Ft: Lower Floors: Non-Ocean View:
1 Double Bed and 1 Queen Bed

....Family Vacation is the Rate Description. I am fine with not having an ocean view, but I don't want a parking lot view. Will my Platinum status help me avoid a parking lot view or should I pay to upgrade to a Partial Ocean?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by koctail
i have a stay upcoming in late July and I am a Platinum. My reservation indicates:

Family Vacation Resort Double
451 Sq Ft: Lower Floors: Non-Ocean View:
1 Double Bed and 1 Queen Bed

....Family Vacation is the Rate Description. I am fine with not having an ocean view, but I don't want a parking lot view. Will my Platinum status help me avoid a parking lot view or should I pay to upgrade to a Partial Ocean?
If I were you I would upgrade. There are so many Platinum members now that the Hyatt CC came out that I'm quite sure that being Platinum has very little clout. Keep in mind that a partial ocean view in the 2 side towers still could see the parking lot as well as the ocean. Good luck.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I would suggest upgrading. It gives a better position to argue from if needed.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:20 am

HR Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I was able to stay in the same room (club level) the whole time. There was actually a snafu when I called 12 hours before to verify the reservation -- they said both the free nights and the award nights were cancelled. However the agent rectified it quickly and put us in the club room the whole time it looks like.

Based on my checkin experience I would bet there's a good chance they will let you use points to upgrade or buy an upgrade.

Although I would recommend using free nights in Kauai instead -- it's certainly phenomenal.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
I would suggest upgrading. It gives a better position to argue from if needed.
thanks for the advice. would you suggest upgrading now or at the desk when checking in? I see an e-standby option upgrade for $40/night more from my original reservation.

Last edited by koctail; Jun 20, 2012 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Definitely now. Availability will diminish greatly, possibly to zero, by your arrival. Also, they block rooms for people (for you or someone else). So if you wait, the reduced availability works against you in this way, too. If it's not available now, keep trying. An additional tactic that might work is, once the upgrade is established, you might call them and negotiate for the best of the category. And this you can try more than once. Can't give you the words, but you'll think of them...
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:44 pm

Definitely now. Availability will diminish greatly, possibly to zero, by your arrival. Also, they block rooms for people (for you or someone else). So if you wait, the reduced availability works against you in this way, too. If it's not available now, keep trying. An additional tactic that might work is, once the upgrade is established, you might call them and negotiate for the best of the category. And this you can try more than once. Can't give you the words, but you'll think of them...
thnx for all the advice. was able to upgrade to Ocean View and it only ended up costing me $20/more per night as apparently rates went down from when I originally booked. ...when you refer to negotiating best of category my experience has always been that hotels will not agree to specific rooms in advance. also in theory doesn't Platinum make me eligible for best in category.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Stayed at HR Maui last week. Booked AAA breakfast rate, partial ocean view. Used suite upgrade from Hyatt CC. Given an ocean view suite in Napili tower at check in.

Note - I've stayed at this property twice before in a regular room and was pleased. With the suite upgrade, I had high expectations but in end I was very disappointed!

Positive observations of room:
1. Nice size and layout particularly for longer stays and for entertaining clients on business
2. Outstanding view of ocean
3. Ample storage for clothes and other belongings
4. Nice use of bamboo flooring/area rug in living room and carpet in bedroom

Negative observations of room:
1. Furniture in living room was dated but comfortable; noticed other rooms had darker colored furniture and different more modern appearing lamps
2. Credenza and TV stand had large multiple scratches, showing definite age and/or poor quality
3. Wallpaper was coming apart at seams in many different areas and other parts of wall had what appeared to be water stains
4. Sliding door which separated bedroom and living room was missing handle and was about to fall off as it was literally hanging on one hinge; as a result no way to actually "close" door
5. Too many small bugs in room! I notified housekeeping and they offered to spray the room which only helped, not resolve, the issue.

The last 3 points were most bothersome and made it such that I did not want to entertain my business clients in my room.

This was my first time in a suite at HR Maui and so not sure if my room was on par with other suites on property. If it is, then I suggest that you save your suite upgrade for another property. I wish I had just kept my original reservation and not used the suite upgrade.

ERQ
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:30 am

ERQTraveler's description compares with my last stay a few years ago.

To anyone: When was the hotel's last major room renovation? Thank you.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Passport Escapes

Has anyone purchased a Passport Escape with their points at this property, and if so, was it worth it? What kind of additional value is there in receiving the additional breakfasts/dinners here?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by dajoip
Has anyone purchased a Passport Escape with their points at this property, and if so, was it worth it? What kind of additional value is there in receiving the additional breakfasts/dinners here?
I liked the restaurant well enough. Good food... atmosphere... swans. Otherwise, if you're walking, your choices are pretty much other hotels' restaurants along Ka'anapali. Or there used to be transportation over to Lahaina (still?). But you'll likely have a car.

I realize that I've just partially answered your question, but this is part of the answer.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I liked the restaurant well enough. Good food... atmosphere... swans. Otherwise, if you're walking, your choices are pretty much other hotels' restaurants along Ka'anapali. Or there used to be transportation over to Lahaina (still?). But you'll likely have a car.

I realize that I've just partially answered your question, but this is part of the answer.
What about the additional 5,000 points for the Regency/Grand Club? Is this worth it at this property?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
Stayed at HR Maui last week. Booked AAA breakfast rate, partial ocean view. Used suite upgrade from Hyatt CC. Given an ocean view suite in Napili tower at check in.

Note - I've stayed at this property twice before in a regular room and was pleased. With the suite upgrade, I had high expectations but in end I was very disappointed!

Positive observations of room:
1. Nice size and layout particularly for longer stays and for entertaining clients on business
2. Outstanding view of ocean
3. Ample storage for clothes and other belongings
4. Nice use of bamboo flooring/area rug in living room and carpet in bedroom

Negative observations of room:
1. Furniture in living room was dated but comfortable; noticed other rooms had darker colored furniture and different more modern appearing lamps
2. Credenza and TV stand had large multiple scratches, showing definite age and/or poor quality
3. Wallpaper was coming apart at seams in many different areas and other parts of wall had what appeared to be water stains
4. Sliding door which separated bedroom and living room was missing handle and was about to fall off as it was literally hanging on one hinge; as a result no way to actually "close" door
5. Too many small bugs in room! I notified housekeeping and they offered to spray the room which only helped, not resolve, the issue.

The last 3 points were most bothersome and made it such that I did not want to entertain my business clients in my room.

This was my first time in a suite at HR Maui and so not sure if my room was on par with other suites on property. If it is, then I suggest that you save your suite upgrade for another property. I wish I had just kept my original reservation and not used the suite upgrade.

ERQ
Too bad about your experience. I have stayed in suites in the Napili tower each of the last 4 years, and never had problems like you reported. Maybe you just got a bad room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.