Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sensei

Service was very good and always friendly, but with the occasional minor issues that probably shouldn't happen at a property of this caliber (phone not answered (twice), housekeeping forgot to restock coffee, forgot to deliver welcome amenity).

Kudos to the hotel for doing a great job with the room/property refresh. Something similar may work for the PHT.
I've heard something is in the works there.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:02 am

This is my first post after many years of reading and benefiting from the wealth of information here at flyertalk. My husband and I are going to Park Hyatt Vendome next month for five nights (combo of award nights and points ) to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We would like to email the general manager in advance , this is something we have done in the past when celebrating a special occasion with Hilton or Waldorf with good success. Would anyone have Claudio's email address or a suggestion as who we should email? Thanks in advance for any insights. ( we only have explorist status)
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:21 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by flyerroberts
Would anyone have Claudio's email address or a suggestion as who we should email?
Hyatt email address follow the practice of first name.second [email protected]

Welcome to posting and have a wonderful 25th wedding anniversary in Paris.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

This is my first post after many years of reading and benefiting from the wealth of information here at flyertalk. My husband and I are going to Park Hyatt Vendome next month for five nights (combo of award nights and points ) to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We would like to email the general manager in advance , this is something we have done in the past when celebrating a special occasion with Hilton or Waldorf with good success. Would anyone have Claudio's email address or a suggestion as who we should email? Thanks in advance for any insights. ( we only have explorist status)
claudio. (insert last name) at hyatt.com.

I hope they treat you very well and congratulations on your 25th anniversary.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:24 pm

Thanks in advance for any insights. ( we only have explorist status)
FWIW the previous 50% discount on breakfast for Platinums now applies to Explorists (but sadly for me, not Discoverists).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:43 pm

Thank you for all the information, much appreciated.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Top of climb
FWIW the previous 50% discount on breakfast for Platinums now applies to Explorists (but sadly for me, not Discoverists).
That's very disappointing to hear
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:54 pm

Would anyone know if the 50% discount on breakfast would apply to room service as well?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It doesn't.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
It doesn't.
My experience is the opposite. I have always had the 50% discount applied to room service, including my stay last month. In fact, after years of identical room service prices to downstairs and no separate tray charge, they have now increased the room service prices by about ~€5 - but it seems that not only does the 50% discount apply to room service it applies on the restaurant price rather than the room service price. That was an unexpected bonus.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
PHV has stopped their refresh of the rooms as they were not happy with the work of their contractors. There are now 51 rooms/suites that are refreshed and they have no date for when they will continue.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SMK77
PHV has stopped their refresh of the rooms as they were not happy with the work of their contractors. There are now 51 rooms/suites that are refreshed and they have no date for when they will continue.
It seems that PHV has many issues and now this. Are the wheels coming off? One thinks time for a change in direction.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
30th anniversary stay

Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome

Map| 5 Reviews | 60% Recommended

5 Rue De La Paix Paris, France FR

30th anniversary stay (3 Photos)

We hadn't stayed at this property before and wanted to book somewhere special for our 30th wedding anniversary. I had hoped that there would be some recognition of our special weekend but apart from the 6 macaroons that were brought at about 7PM - nothing.

Our meal at Pur' was very good but overall the Park Hyatt didn't wow us. If I had to compare it to another PH it would have to be the PH Melbourne which is in my view not worthy of PH status. Its a real shame as the hotel has some good features but the bedroom did not deliver a five star experience.

Check In

Room not ready when we arrived - quarter to three. Told it would be ready by 3 30. At after 4 we went back to reception. It appears they had forgotten to tell us our room was ready. No apology. Only mention of Globalist status was offer of late check out. Unfortunately on the last day our keys stopped working at midday. Again no apology.

We went to our room and no luggage. Phone down at 5PM - they would send up our luggage. Phoned again at 6PM and the same story and eventually arrived about 6 30. Not very goodWP_20170915_20_23_35_Pro.jpgWP_20170916_10_44_17_Pro.jpgWP_20170917_10_29_34_Pro.jpg

Room

Had used a suite upgrade. Always ask for high room away from elevators so as usual Hyatt ignore that. Average size bedroom overlooking the courtyard. Two bottles of water refreshed daily.Room was shabby, dim and very beige and bland. It looked like a newish carpet had been laid but not very well as the edges were very roughly cut. I guess that this wasn't one of the newly refurbished rooms. Bedside clock didn't work.

Huge bathroom with raised bath and shower in poor condition. I kept banging my legs on the edge of the step up. Toileteries were fine. Plenty of towels and a couple of very shabby robes. Because of the size of the bathroom there was plenty of storage space.

I found the mirror TV quite distracting. If you were not sitting directly in front of the screen you could only see reflections.

Tea and coffee making facilities but no fresh milk just three ca/rtons of UHT milk. Is it that hard to put a TetraPak of fresh milk in the fridge

Dining

Breakfast was OK. Certainly wouldn't pay €50 for it. I had eggs one morning but they were so undercooked I didn't bother again. 

We had the paired tasting menu at Pur' which was superb although an expensive treat.

Great location for exploring Paris. Close to Metro stations and an easy walk to most of the main sites. Taxi from CDG was €50.

Overall

Having stayed at many Park Hyatts around the world I was a little disappointed. The public areas are beautiful and overall very stylish. However, our bedroom and bathroom were just average and certainly not worth the use of a suite voucher. Also they won't confirm the suite upgrade until you arrive.

Service

Very attentive service but seemed a little false. Maybe that's just what their clients expect

30th anniversary stay

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Paris - Vendome?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Introduction We hadn't stayed at this property before and wanted to book somewhere special for our 30th wedding anniversary. I had hoped that there would be some recognition of our special weekend but apart from the 6 macaroons that were brought at about 7PM - nothing.Our meal at Pur' was very good but overall the Park Hyatt didn't wow us. If I had to compare it to another PH it would have to be the PH Melbourne which is in my view not worthy of PH status. Its a real shame as the hotel has some good features but the bedroom did not deliver a five star experience. Check In Room not ready when we arrived - quarter to three. Told it would be ready by 3 30. At after 4 we went back to reception. It appears they had forgotten to tell us our room was ready. No apology. Only mention of Globalist status was offer of late check out. Unfortunately on the last day our keys stopped working at midday. Again no apology.We went to our room and no luggage. Phone down at 5PM - they would send up our luggage. Phoned again at 6PM and the same story and eventually arrived about 6 30. Not very good Room Had used a suite upgrade. Always ask for high room away from elevators so as usual Hyatt ignore that. Average size bedroom overlooking the courtyard. Two bottles of water refreshed daily.Room was shabby, dim and very beige and bland. It looked like a newish carpet had been laid but not very well as the edges were very roughly cut. I guess that this wasn't one of the newly refurbished rooms. Bedside clock didn't work.Huge bathroom with raised bath and shower in poor condition. I kept banging my legs on the edge of the step up. Toileteries were fine. Plenty of towels and a couple of very shabby robes. Because of the size of the bathroom there was plenty of storage space.I found the mirror TV quite distracting. If you were not sitting directly in front of the screen you could only see reflections.Tea and coffee making facilities but no fresh milk just three ca/rtons of UHT milk. Is it that hard to put a TetraPak of fresh milk in the fridge Dining Breakfast was OK. Certainly wouldn't pay €50 for it. I had eggs one morning but they were so undercooked I didn't bother again. We had the paired tasting menu at Pur' which was superb although an expensive treat. Location Great location for exploring Paris. Close to Metro stations and an easy walk to most of the main sites. Taxi from CDG was €50. Overall Having stayed at many Park Hyatts around the world I was a little disappointed. The public areas are beautiful and overall very stylish. However, our bedroom and bathroom were just average and certainly not worth the use of a suite voucher. Also they won't confirm the suite upgrade until you arrive. Service Very attentive service but seemed a little false. Maybe that's just what their clients expect
Oh Claudio where are you? This is certainly not a "Claudio" run hotel from the past. Milan nor Martinez. Last two times for us have been underwhelming as well, to be fair old room and not "new " rooms each time.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Oh Claudio where are you? This is certainly not a "Claudio" run hotel from the past. Milan nor Martinez. Last two times for us have been underwhelming as well, to be fair old room and not "new " rooms each time.
I don't know, they sound a bit crabby thru the entire review, were you suffering from jet lag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.