Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I am now at the PHV, for the first time in 4 years, according to the desk clerk. The doormen were taking lessons from the PHNY and hence were not around when I arrived so no help with the bags. I am in a Prestige Suite (forrnerly called an executive suite) which is remodeled but not dramatically. The blackout curtains have been electrified and the light switches mostly work properly. There appears to be a motion sensor on the thermostats, alas.

Overall, I don't see much change here. The concierges are still very helpful. The Blaise Mautin toiletries have been replaced with ones labeled "5 rue de la Paix." My room is in good condition. If anything exceptional (good or bad) happens during my stay, I'll amend this post.
That's a pity. I rather liked the Blaise Mautin ones.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Aventine

It appears from the lack of activity that the PHV has lost a bit of it's luster. I saw the "new" rooms and they left me underwhelmed, not that I wanted a total overhaul but there was nothing that said "wow". Changing the soap etc I think was a not so good move either.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:34 am

I suspect the reason for the new amenities is that GM, Claudio Ceccherelli, was approached by La Bottega's Tommaso Pacini, who does a lot of hotels these days. It might make more sense financially than Blaise Mautin, which is produced by Groupe GM. That said, Blaise Mautin was a perfect fit and while they still have the perfume, it was kind of an odd decision. If anything, they should have followed brand standard and switched to Le Labo, but to introduce another perfumer is odd.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

One place to consider for one dinner if you are a souffle fan and need a fix is the nearby restaurant called, you guessed it, Le Souffle. You walk towards the Tuileries, past Place Vendome and turn right one block before the main road ends. For E37 fixed price you get a 3 souffle course dinner: starter, main, and dessert. Not a fancy place and reservations don't seem to be required, but it does a brisk business. True, a bit of a novelty but a nice one. They also have an a la carte menu and are closed on Sunday.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
New toiletries have Methylisothiazolinone in them. TH has a severe allergy (tested by skin patch test at derm) to this chemical which is used in many OTC beauty, cleaning, decorating products as a preservative. The Blaise Mautin toiletries were MI free, I emailed them a few years ago before they listed the ingredients to check and they emailed me back with their assurances. In any case, we didn't even open the new products and the front desk managed to find some of the remaining BM products for us to use during our stay. TH does travel with her own MI free products, but it was nice for me.

She did contact the hotel when they sent her an invitation to review our stay and mentioned her allergy and linked to some professional journals on the nastiness of this chemical. Not sure if things will change, but sorry to see them using MI in their products.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
One place to consider for one dinner if you are a souffle fan and need a fix is the nearby restaurant called, you guessed it, Le Souffle. You walk towards the Tuileries, past Place Vendome and turn right one block before the main road ends. For E37 fixed price you get a 3 souffle course dinner: starter, main, and dessert. Not a fancy place and reservations don't seem to be required, but it does a brisk business. True, a bit of a novelty but a nice one. They also have an a la carte menu and are closed on Sunday.
Great place to eat however reservations are defintely required. WE walked up and had to make them for the next night and this was defintely a recurring theme while we were eating. lots of people turned away.

As for the toiletries, I liked the new ones, didnt care for the BM ones from 1.5 years ago, my last stay.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
New toiletries have Methylisothiazolinone in them. TH has a severe allergy (tested by skin patch test at derm) to this chemical which is used in many OTC beauty, cleaning, decorating products as a preservative. The Blaise Mautin toiletries were MI free, I emailed them a few years ago before they listed the ingredients to check and they emailed me back with their assurances. In any case, we didn't even open the new products and the front desk managed to find some of the remaining BM products for us to use during our stay. TH does travel with her own MI free products, but it was nice for me.

She did contact the hotel when they sent her an invitation to review our stay and mentioned her allergy and linked to some professional journals on the nastiness of this chemical. Not sure if things will change, but sorry to see them using MI in their products.
Aside from the allergy issue, Methylisothiazolinone is a horrific chemical and should be avoided at any costs. It is beyond me how a company associated with the term "luxury" could be using such a harsh biocide, usually found in paint. It is now banned in the European Union for body lotion etc, by the way.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miadukes
Great place to eat however reservations are defintely required. WE walked up and had to make them for the next night and this was defintely a recurring theme while we were eating. lots of people turned away.

As for the toiletries, I liked the new ones, didnt care for the BM ones from 1.5 years ago, my last stay.
I jus

I just walked in, no problem, just after 7pm (when they open) on a Monday. Concierge at the PH seemed to think that mostly you didn't need reservations and lots of people without them were seated the night I was there. Might well be different on a Friday or Saturday night.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Aside from the allergy issue, Methylisothiazolinone is a horrific chemical and should be avoided at any costs. It is beyond me how a company associated with the term "luxury" could be using such a harsh biocide, usually found in paint. It is now banned in the European Union for body lotion etc, by the way.
Isn't La Bottega an Italian/European company? How are these products even being distributed? I love how they tout Made in Italy but put petro crap into their products.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:41 am

Isn't La Bottega an Italian/European company? How are these products even being distributed? I love how they tout Made in Italy but put petro crap into their products.
I am not familiar with the ingredient list/formulation of the product but can only assume that the particular ingredient is not used in the body lotion, but rather shampoo and conditioner, which means that it can only be added up to 0,01 %, according to new EU regulations. It is completely banned for any leave-on products in its entirety. But even using the ingredient at all is ethically highly questionable, especially since it is indeed an Italian product. They don't really seem to care about their guests?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
A ton of high end companies are using MI and other preservatives - at our Oasis property last week - the Malin and Goetz shampoo, conditioner and something else (body wash?), all had derivatives of the iso-thiozonalones . I appreciate a full disclosure, which the new 5 rue de la paix products have listed, not all manufacturers disclose all the ingredients especially on those tiny bottles.

I really hope that EU regulations transfer over the US, but well....
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by lalala
A ton of high end companies are using MI and other preservatives - at our Oasis property last week - the Malin and Goetz shampoo, conditioner and something else (body wash?), all had derivatives of the iso-thiozonalones . I appreciate a full disclosure, which the new 5 rue de la paix products have listed, not all manufacturers disclose all the ingredients especially on those tiny bottles.

I really hope that EU regulations transfer over the US, but well....
I don't get it. Isn't France in the EU?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I don't get it. Isn't France in the EU?
Most of France is in the EU. But EU-based companies selling consumer products outside of the EU don’t have to use all EU consumer labeling laws on all products being marketed for non-EU use and being sold outside of the EU.

The same kind of dynamic goes for French labeling laws for French products being sold to non-French parts of the EU.

French labeling laws aren’t all a mirror image of EU labeling laws, and national laws may go above and beyond the minimal standard required EU-wide..
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Most of France is in the EU. But EU-based companies selling consumer products outside of the EU don’t have to use all EU consumer labeling laws on all products being marketed for non-EU use and being sold outside of the EU.

The same kind of dynamic goes for French labeling laws for French products being sold to non-French parts of the EU.

French labeling laws aren’t all a mirror image of EU labeling laws, and national laws may go above and beyond the minimal standard required EU-wide..
Perhaps I'm dense, but I'm not understanding why toiletries made for use at "5 rue de la Paix" (i.e, the hotel which is the subject of the thread) would be able to contain the "illegal" chemical. We're not talking "above and beyond minimal standards," but something quite the opposite.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Perhaps I'm dense, but I'm not understanding why toiletries made for use at "5 rue de la Paix" (i.e, the hotel which is the subject of the thread) would be able to contain the "illegal" chemical. We're not talking "above and beyond minimal standards," but something quite the opposite.
Not sure where the Oasis property referenced was located (seems like it may be Italy), but labeling/disclosure regulations, corporate practices, and/or property owner practice could be such that the component(s) not listed are not illegal/“illegal” but should have been listed on label for the labeling regulations, corporate contract standards and/or individual guest preferences to be met.

Oasis property toiletries are acquired by the affiliated property owner/manager or by Oasis? Maybe that could be a factor. Whatever it is, some people just like to know more about what’s in their hotel-placed toiletries, something that this Hyatt hotel’s toiletries seem to do better now according to lalala.

Whether or not the label disclosure being better is due to EU rules or not may be beside the point: hotel guest preference for more extensive disclosure of components in supplied toiletries.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 1, 2018 at 1:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.