FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

edgewood49 Sep 9, 2013 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino (Post 21414726)
While I can't identify any CEOs, I too have noticed that some posters are definitely quite affluent, yet very egalitarian, especially here in the Hyatt threads. That was one factor that provided a lot of encouragement to me to try for Diamond after many years as Plat. While of course there are always a few snide remarks, it has always seemed to me that that they are more in the spirit of jest than actual derision. Sorry if these comments would have been better placed in some other thread.

NP your comments have been in the 'spirit" of the board!

TMOTEE Sep 9, 2013 8:09 pm

Having just returned home on Saturday from my 14th stay at the PHV I thought I would contribute my thoughts on this awesome hotel and why it deserves all the accolades it has received. For me the below reasons are why this is a "luxury" hotel.

1. Ambiance: The overall feeling of being cocooned once inside the hotel. There are practically no views from the street into the hotel. For me this is a plus. No wandering tourists strolling through the lobby just to see what the place looks like. I like the Blaise Mautin original scent too. I know some do not but when I walk in the front door I inhale and instantly relax with all the great memories flooding in from past stays.
2. Rooms: Several points here. Room size is large by European standards and the bathroom is exceptionally so. Soundproofing is outstanding. When windows are closed you cannot hear anything from the street. Padded walls in the hall and the ultra quiet closing room doors make the interior the quietest hotel I have ever been inside.
3. Decor: You either like it or hate it but for me this is my style. Minimal, clean and luxe. You feel that every detail has been thought out. And the art is fantastic.
4. Hotel Upkeep: I first stayed at the PHV in 2003 after it was open for about one year. Since then the hotel has made improvements such as electronic blinds in the rooms, concierge desk moved from the check in area to the front entrance, lobby carpet in front of elevator replaced by tile, all new carpet in hallways and rooms and from this last visit a very nice new round rug at the inside if the front entrance. Overall the upkeep has been quite nice and kept the hotel fresh.
5. Employees: I would say 99% of the employees I have dealt with over the years have been friendly, engaging, and helpful. As many have commented you get the same treatment on points versus paying.
6. "Palace" designation. Let's not forget in 2012 the PHV was one of only four hotels in Paris to receive this designation for that year. This is why the Ritz is closed and undergoing renovations. It was passed over along with the Crillon.

For me the entire hotel oozes luxury. It might not be everyone's version of luxury and that's fine with me. Some may prefer a more "traditional" version like the George V or Le Bristol and that is what makes this such an interesting world.

If I win the lottery I am retiring, moving to Paris and taking up permanent residence at the PHV. I only have to choose my suite, bring some personal touches for the room and enjoy the Kouign Amann and mango juice until I die !

lkar Sep 9, 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by TMOTEE (Post 21416939)
If I win the lottery I am retiring, moving to Paris and taking up permanent residence at the PHV. I only have to choose my suite, bring some personal touches for the room and enjoy the Kouign Amann and mango juice until I die !

I wonder how much the hotel might charge for that. Obviously, you'd just negotiate a rate, and that would be that.

If they played it straight, though, and just charged you regular rate (you could do advance purchase rates easily since you aren't leaving) it should be about $1700 to $1800 per night for an Executive Suite, more during the holidays. You'd earn enough points as a diamond on your spending to get a free night roughly for every three paid nights. Assuming they let you stay in the upgraded suite for 33k points each free night, and you used all your points, you'd probably pay around $500k per year.

The alternative would be to book the lowest rate as a series of 4-day stays and then use 6,000 points to upgrade them. This would be cheaper -- probably about $350,000 per year. Plus, you'd have way more points. You would earn about 2.3 million points for the year, but only have to use about 550k to upgrade yourself on a series of 4-day stays. Of course, you'd have to make a deal with the hotel to keep the same room -- and they would only be obligated to give you a junior suite this way.

MikeFromTokyo Sep 10, 2013 6:53 am

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 21417197)
I wonder how much the hotel might charge for that. Obviously, you'd just negotiate a rate, and that would be that.

If they played it straight, though, and just charged you regular rate (you could do advance purchase rates easily since you aren't leaving) it should be about $1700 to $1800 per night for an Executive Suite, more during the holidays. You'd earn enough points as a diamond on your spending to get a free night roughly for every three paid nights. Assuming they let you stay in the upgraded suite for 33k points each free night, and you used all your points, you'd probably pay around $500k per year.

The alternative would be to book the lowest rate as a series of 4-day stays and then use 6,000 points to upgrade them. This would be cheaper -- probably about $350,000 per year. Plus, you'd have way more points. You would earn about 2.3 million points for the year, but only have to use about 550k to upgrade yourself on a series of 4-day stays. Of course, you'd have to make a deal with the hotel to keep the same room -- and they would only be obligated to give you a junior suite this way.

For an extremely long stay I am sure one could negotiate a very favorable rate on a suite. One would certainly not have to pay BAR or use points to upgrade.

One could rent an amazing apartment in paris for $30k~/month.

TMOTEE Sep 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

I'm sure I could work out a deal. I am going to live there forever.... So maybe free breakfast thrown in ?

Firewind Sep 10, 2013 7:28 pm

It happens. When the Carlton in Knightsbridge was a Hyatt, my son and I had a suite for a week (on points!) and met a neighbor and his son who were living up the hall long term. Our sons ended up playing together, and we shared high tea. ...Tales from the road. Now, back to regularly scheduled programming.

synd Sep 12, 2013 6:34 pm

There was an article in the LeMonde today, about employees protesting of the work situation at the hotel.

THe link in French can be found here:
http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/articl...or=AL-32280515

here is a copy of the article using google translate, and where i made a few modifications to improve the translation:

"This is modern slavery!" Here's how a maid describes working conditions in the Parisian luxury hotel Park Hyatt Paris, some of the staff manifested Thursday, September 12 at the Rue de la Paix entrance. More than fifty people - including mainly maids, valets and crew in hotel - were present to claim to be hired.

One of them, Debora Follot, is unworthy of being "paid to the task and not the time" and that she and her colleagues are sometimes "forced to come to work on [their] days off ". She said that out of 300 employees Parisian palace, 65 are employed by subcontractors. "This is a very physical job, I must say frankly, we put on all fours. Normally in luxury hotels, the maids work in pairs, here we are alone, it's exhausting. We all sore with shoulder and backaches, "she says.
IT'S THE ONLY GRAND HOTEL TO SUBCONTRACT ITS STAFF

Management has blamed its subcontractor, the French service company, which is "currently in dispute with some of its employees," saying "it hoped that this situation will be resolved quickly, and under the best possible conditions."

For Claude Levy, CGT - which called employees to strike - "this is the only Parisian hotel that outsources its staff." "We demand the immediate hiring of employees, the 13th month and the payment of any additional time," he said, adding: "It is unacceptable that in a palace there are. daily violations of the labor code and social status as low ", adding that" the company had every means with a turnover in 2012 of € 41.6 million. "

Biggie Fries Sep 13, 2013 5:36 am

In the comments section someone gives a link to a page with basic financial information on the property. Business was up 5,8% between 2011 and 2012 (and staffing up a concomitant 5,1%). Check my math (and non-knowledge of business), but at 366 days in 2012 and 178 rooms, that's 639 euros per room per night. I wonder what they get from Chase for the freebies, and Hyatt for the 22,000 points? My take on the property is that it is a steal when I get rooms for the card or the points, but a bit over-priced when I have to lay out real money.

Shangri-La Sep 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 21423211)
It happens. When the Carlton in Knightsbridge was a Hyatt, my son and I had a suite for a week (on points!) and met a neighbor and his son who were living up the hall long term. Our sons ended up playing together, and we shared high tea. ...Tales from the road. Now, back to regularly scheduled programming.

A lot of wealth and sometimes famous people tend to live in hotels/resorts for long periods of time.

Firewind Sep 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Shangri-La (Post 21441940)
A lot of wealth and sometimes famous people tend to live in hotels/resorts for long periods of time.

As did Little Richard at the Riot Hyatt.

OsakaWino Sep 14, 2013 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Shangri-La (Post 21441940)

Samaranch spent most of his 20 years as IOC president living in the presidential suite at the Lausanne Palace Hotel; estimated cost in 2000 was $500,000/year. To "save money" Rogge moved from the presidential suite to a serviced apartment on the top floor of the same hotel for his 12 years.

youhavebeenupgraded Sep 14, 2013 3:28 am

Deluxe Room (Diamond Upgrade): http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...paris-vendome/

SgtSweetchuck Sep 14, 2013 3:42 am

Didn't Peter Seller's live at the Dorchester in London and Johnny Depp at the Chateau Marmont in LA.

Anyway, after a 3 day points stay last Summer I would say that I was completely underwhelmed with the PHV.
We have stayed at the PH in Melbourne, Saigon and Sydney in the past year and they were all very impressive, particularly the Saigon property.

I guess, after reading all the reviews, particularly about the breakfast, I was expecting too much.

peteropny Sep 14, 2013 8:16 am

Ok please discontinue the discussion of "celebrities" living in hotels since this is the review thread for the Park Hyatt Vendome - I really don't know why the discussion keeps getting derailed in this thread.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

lsed Sep 14, 2013 8:32 am

Stayed here last month after shifting from the Royal Monceau.

I'm a big fan of Park Hyatts. My personal favourite is the Palacio Duhau. Tokyo and Seoul are excellent as well. Perhaps my expectations were a little too high but I was completely underwhelmed by the Vendome.

To compare it to the Royal Monceau which is also a palace hotel, the RM wins the PH hands down.

From the min I arrived at the PH I had a bell boy that wasn't involved in giving any personal touch - just wanted to get the bags off the car and later into the room. No greeting no warm interaction. I actually had to stop him to pass him a tip. I later wondered if I should have if he didn't bother about anything and just walked off after confirming all the bags were present.

Check in agents were friendly but still I did not feel like they took any extra effort to extend a warm welcome.

I've seen many reviews ranking this PH amongst the likes of Palacio Duhau and Tokyo, but my experience was quite disappointing. I think the only positive experience was the breakfast which was splendid.

Perhaps one shouldn't compare a Park Hyatt with a Raffles, but in this instance they were both Palace hotels, and the prices are quite similar for the non-suite rooms.

If you guys are staying on revenue, I highly recommend the Royal Monceau. Somehow the Hyatt touch didn't come through for me at Vendome.