Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by Mary2e
It is the end of an era. Those of us going to this hotel for decades and remember the old regency club and the Cary and Mark show, well, it's about to end.

Cary is retiring next week, and even though the new club is not even close to the same as the old club, he was still an integral part of many people's trip there. Mark will still be there.

But honestly, since there are now so many globalists, the regency club is not the same, with less time for them to spend with the guests because they're serving food all the time.

Anyway, thanks for all the wonderful memories.
Amen to that. So sad to see.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

For me the club is so disappointing I don’t want to return and I rarely do
The restaurant is just marginally better and one better be a fan of flying pigeons their most prominent specialty off the menu but at your table side or being swatted away with brooms by the team
While Hyatt once stood proudly with food and beverage worldwide for decades the decline in a number of hotels is truly sad

Once upon a time once could get bottles of their favorite beverage in a lounge
Now everything is like a fast food restaurant with machines
it feels cheap.I am slowly changing brand preference away from some Hyatts to get the more premium experience elsewhere

I see Hyatt moving into this direction more and more to cut costs and I notice many guests just deal with it or may not care 🤷‍♂️
Not a fan of the direction at all
And yes once upon a time the Regency Club on top of the hotel with dead on ocean views was stellar and luxurious with high levels of personal service
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
And yes once upon a time the Regency Club on top of the hotel with dead on ocean views was stellar and luxurious with high levels of personal service
My recollection from two stays at the HR as a Diamond was that the top level "club" was a crowded repurposed guest room or two with often no-where to sit. Food was mediocre finger food, Mai Tai's were served in small plastic cups -- unless you were one of the favorite guests of the staff. Then you got your 16 oz themo coffee cup filled to the brim while the rest of us "newbies" were waiting for the chatting to end so we could get perhaps a second cup.

Your "luxurious with high levels of personal service" experience must have been even longer ago... or perhaps you got your coffee tumbler filled with Mai Tais?

We took my parents to Waikiki to the HR, and they loved the islands (first time on Oahu and Waikiki) and the HR location, but for us there was nothing that would bring us back after the second time.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
My recollection from two stays at the HR as a Diamond was that the top level "club" was a crowded repurposed guest room or two with often no-where to sit. Food was mediocre finger food, Mai Tai's were served in small plastic cups -- unless you were one of the favorite guests of the staff. Then you got your 16 oz themo coffee cup filled to the brim while the rest of us "newbies" were waiting for the chatting to end so we could get perhaps a second cup.

Your "luxurious with high levels of personal service" experience must have been even longer ago... or perhaps you got your coffee tumbler filled with Mai Tais?

We took my parents to Waikiki to the HR, and they loved the islands (first time on Oahu and Waikiki) and the HR location, but for us there was nothing that would bring us back after the second time.
Indeed many decades ago.
Do want to mention that it wasn't crowded back in the day on my few data points from being there
Occupancy always varies as will your experience
I really look at breakfast and evening offerings generally.But crowds and poor offerings are also what eventually sought
me to seek higher ground elsewhere.On the whole the Regency Club and the Grand Clubs were once
exceptional in their offerings with rare exceptions
even the former Grand Hyatt New York.I now feel lately like I'm dining in an upscale cafeteria in most executive clubs

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 22, 2024 at 1:40 pm
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

In 2006, my memory serves me somewhat well regarding your point. The top-floor lounge was indeed bustling, and if I recall correctly, they had improvised an additional room to accommodate the overflow. Despite the crowds, the quality of the food remained consistently pleasing, and there was an undeniable ambiance that made you feel like you were in a truly special setting.

Service, on the other hand, was impeccable. The concierge staff in the lounges displayed an excellent attitude. Over the span of our visits from 2006 to 2012, which numbered around six or seven, the staff made genuine efforts to recognize us from previous stays. Their recommendations for local activities were thoughtful, and their dedication to their roles was evident. Being a Diamond (Globalist) member felt truly exclusive, with the lounge access serving as a standout perk that distinguished you as a valued guest.

Reflecting on this, it's reminiscent of the trajectory of Amex Centurion lounges, which have somewhat faltered amidst their initial success. These lounges were once a sanctuary of exclusivity, but now, much like you, I find myself disillusioned with the increasingly crowded and mainstream experience. While Hyatt has the most enticing loyalty benefits for Globalists, I can't help but question the pursuit of it in light of these observations.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smilee
In 2006, my memory serves me somewhat well regarding your point. The top-floor lounge was indeed bustling, and if I recall correctly, they had improvised an additional room to accommodate the overflow. Despite the crowds, the quality of the food remained consistently pleasing, and there was an undeniable ambiance that made you feel like you were in a truly special setting.

Service, on the other hand, was impeccable. The concierge staff in the lounges displayed an excellent attitude. Over the span of our visits from 2006 to 2012, which numbered around six or seven, the staff made genuine efforts to recognize us from previous stays. Their recommendations for local activities were thoughtful, and their dedication to their roles was evident. Being a Diamond (Globalist) member felt truly exclusive, with the lounge access serving as a standout perk that distinguished you as a valued guest.

Reflecting on this, it's reminiscent of the trajectory of Amex Centurion lounges, which have somewhat faltered amidst their initial success. These lounges were once a sanctuary of exclusivity, but now, much like you, I find myself disillusioned with the increasingly crowded and mainstream experience. While Hyatt has the most enticing loyalty benefits for Globalists, I can't help but question the pursuit of it in light of these observations.
Glad you brought up the airport lounges because that is a great comparison. They were once a sanctuary at the airport where you could relax and now they are becoming a competition to get the most stuff as possible to justify the increased entry costs.

We purposely did not book the HR Waikiki for a trip next week and chose the Centric instead, mainly because we don't like the club experience anymore. Its not relaxing and quite honestly the quality is average. We were able get into a condo at last minute so now I just cancelled my Centric reservation and the wife and I will be cooking for ourselves and staying in a nice 'home'. I fear this might be my last year as a Globalist because I'm gravitating towards condo/home type of accommodations for 7+ night stays and the splurge on Hyatt luxury is getting harder to justify, the HR Waikiki is a pretty good example of that. I'm willing to pay more to get more, or in the case of this HR, less....as in pigeons.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by mmgm
Amen to that. So sad to see.
Absolutely. He's been with the hotel for decades. It's a shame the comments have been about the hotel itself and not about the great service provided by a long time employee.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:58 pm

Hello all,

Have a 7 day resi, wk of Apr 10. Booked 1K room w pts but need 2Q room (2Q not avail w pts). What are chances of being able to upgrade to 2Q when we arrive? I’m only Discoverist so i’m sure that doesn’t help my cause.

Also would I be able to purchase club access using my points during chk-in?

Thanks in advance! Have not been to HI since precovid so the fam is excited for this trip.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Glad you brought up the airport lounges because that is a great comparison. They were once a sanctuary at the airport where you could relax and now they are becoming a competition to get the most stuff as possible to justify the increased entry costs.

We purposely did not book the HR Waikiki for a trip next week and chose the Centric instead, mainly because we don't like the club experience anymore. Its not relaxing and quite honestly the quality is average. We were able get into a condo at last minute so now I just cancelled my Centric reservation and the wife and I will be cooking for ourselves and staying in a nice 'home'. I fear this might be my last year as a Globalist because I'm gravitating towards condo/home type of accommodations for 7+ night stays and the splurge on Hyatt luxury is getting harder to justify, the HR Waikiki is a pretty good example of that. I'm willing to pay more to get more, or in the case of this HR, less....as in pigeons.
you know the Centric doesn't offer free breakfast to globalists right?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kaiotes
you know the Centric doesn't offer free breakfast to globalists right?
They haven’t since Covid, only points instead
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by webtran
What are chances of being able to upgrade to 2Q when we arrive? I’m only Discoverist so i’m sure that doesn’t help my cause.
I'd suggest contacting the property in advance and making that request. It's not an upgrade, just a request for a different bed type. Always subject to availability.
Originally Posted by webtran
Also would I be able to purchase club access using my points during chk-in?
That is not a Hyatt feature, and in event, the club here sucks.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Stayed here recently and quite enjoyed the club. No it wasn’t shockingly impressive but we made out okay and I was much more happy to have it than to not. I also miss air travel from the 1960s, blenders made in America, and the fizz of a glass soda bottle.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stvr
Stayed here recently and quite enjoyed the club. No it wasn’t shockingly impressive but we made out okay and I was much more happy to have it than to not. I also miss air travel from the 1960s, blenders made in America, and the fizz of a glass soda bottle.
Appreciate the data point, but I guess for me, if my wife and I are going to spend the time and money to travel to Hawaii, we're really looking for a better experience than just "making out okay" I realize many here need every single EQN they can get to maintain status, but for us, Hyatt just is not our go to for Oahu (or really Hawaii in general)

Regards
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:20 am

Here now. Rec’d nice spread for my birthday.

Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd suggest contacting the property in advance and making that request. It's not an upgrade, just a request for a different bed type. Always subject to availability.

That is not a Hyatt feature, and in event, the club here sucks.
Thanks for the response. I contacted them and they were able to make notes to my 2Q request.

As for Club access, does anyone know if I am able to pay for Club access? If so, would I be able to pay Club access for part of my stay (i.e. Day 1-3 out of 7 day stay)? Lastly any idea what the going rate for Club access is?

Thanks everyone, I know Club access is not worth it to most of you but i have 3 kiddos so it provides more value in my situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.