Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

HR Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forward

Reply

Old Dec 9, 14, 8:51 am
  #931  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 38,486
Originally Posted by Steve007NY View Post
Just found a room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for wounds in a few dollars of the same as the MER rate. Given my status with HILTON, and the fact that there is a real resort (if ridiculously huge) feel, no traffic between the room and the beach, and multiple (non-rooftop) pools, the upgrade issue is now moot.
Status at HHV gets you virtually nothing. Maybe an upgrade if they're not booked full, but often unavailable. No lounge, just a $10 breakfast credit. No resort fee waiver so that's $30 per night extra right there.

I prefer it to HR Waikiki, but the elite treatment at the Hyatt is way better.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 14, 2:04 pm
  #932  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 4,877
Originally Posted by Okijames View Post
Just checked in tonight. Paid 6 night stay on Double Points Rate.

EWA tower due to construction ok, but a City View room?

It was 11pm, too tired to fight for a better room and the Hyatt website was down, couldn't verify better room availability.

Update: Just checked after unpacking and Ocean Views are available. So much for "best room available" at check-in.

First time at this hotel and not a good first impression. Hoping it improves tomorrow.
there is no real consistency here for several years now. Mainly after GS sold out
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 14, 2:10 pm
  #933  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,132
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
there is no real consistency here for several years now. Mainly after GS sold out
I've actually found the property to be consistent during my stays, since I started staying here in 2010. Usually visit once or twice a year and I've always had great service. Even managed to get the Penthouse on a stay in 2012. Every other time I've received an ocean/diamond head view room.
FriendlySkies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 14, 2:33 pm
  #934  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Posts: 13,859
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Status at HHV gets you virtually nothing. Maybe an upgrade if they're not booked full, but often unavailable. No lounge, just a $10 breakfast credit. No resort fee waiver so that's $30 per night extra right there.

I prefer it to HR Waikiki, but the elite treatment at the Hyatt is way better.
HHV and HRW is really an apples to oranges comparison, but if elite treatment is important to you, then stay away from the HHV.
hailstorm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 14, 4:38 pm
  #935  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Programs: DL PM, DL MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Posts: 1,222
Actually, what is most important to me is easy access to the ocean and lots of options for my Celtic partner to be able to lay by the pool under an umbrella. Frankly, this is basically a mileage run to boost us to Delta platinum; any amenities in Honolulu are just an added perk.
Steve007NY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 14, 4:50 pm
  #936  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Posts: 13,859
Originally Posted by Steve007NY View Post
Actually, what is most important to me is easy access to the ocean and lots of options for my Celtic partner to be able to lay by the pool under an umbrella. Frankly, this is basically a mileage run to boost us to Delta platinum; any amenities in Honolulu are just an added perk.
Access to the ocean from HRW is very easy. The rooms are actually closer to the beach than most rooms at HHV.

(Maybe a mod should move these last few posts somewhere more appropriate...)
hailstorm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 14, 7:07 pm
  #937  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kula, HI, USA
Posts: 21
#3965 in the Diamond Head Tower

Beautiful room with awesome views. Hannah Kim with Guest Relations was awesome when water was shut off 1.5 hours earlier than we were told. Mark in the Regency Club made us feel so welcome. A couple of really outstanding employees.
Joebellstaff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 15, 9:44 pm
  #938  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SYD
Programs: QF G<Hyatt Globalist. IHG RA
Posts: 1,185
Checked in here and was given partial Ocean on the Princess K side of Ewa tower
I have to crank my neck to see anything.
Dark and noisy
said they had no ocean.I said THIS is the worst room in 20 stays.
Oceans were avail but they said in the diamond tower old rooms and construction
Finally found me a ocean.
I know it's NY but really!
aussielori is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 15, 10:28 am
  #939  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by aussielori View Post
Checked in here and was given partial Ocean on the Princess K side of Ewa tower
I have to crank my neck to see anything.
Dark and noisy
said they had no ocean.I said THIS is the worst room in 20 stays.
Oceans were avail but they said in the diamond tower old rooms and construction
Finally found me a ocean.
I know it's NY but really!
I was there a couple of weeks ago, and was offered a partial ocean view room in the Ewa tower, I asked for something in the Diamond Tower and was given a room there. Needless to say the following morning I asked for a room back in the Ewa tower as the noise was horrible from the construction.

After talking to the front desk manager, they stated that a lot of Diamond members that insisted on the Diamond tower changed rooms mid stay.

So, but really... if a lot of people, especially Diamond members are complaining about noise, and elevators being taken out of service (up to 2 at a time) I think the hotel are doing the best thing. You may be lucky and not be on a floor where construction is occurring, but they are doing multiple floors at a time so there is a chance your stay me impacted... if not, all the better for you.
file51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 15, 12:29 pm
  #940  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 4,877
Originally Posted by file51 View Post
I was there a couple of weeks ago, and was offered a partial ocean view room in the Ewa tower, I asked for something in the Diamond Tower and was given a room there. Needless to say the following morning I asked for a room back in the Ewa tower as the noise was horrible from the construction.

After talking to the front desk manager, they stated that a lot of Diamond members that insisted on the Diamond tower changed rooms mid stay.

So, but really... if a lot of people, especially Diamond members are complaining about noise, and elevators being taken out of service (up to 2 at a time) I think the hotel are doing the best thing. You may be lucky and not be on a floor where construction is occurring, but they are doing multiple floors at a time so there is a chance your stay me impacted... if not, all the better for you.

It can be frustrating being in a hotel that is under going renovation having said that if your a FT with the hotel aren't you well aware of whats going on? I mean get over it boys and girls stay at the EWA tower, walk little more and enjoy the stay. It's about time they did something with the hotel anyway it's old and tired. Now if they can only fix the food service offerings maybe bring the Colony back, now there's a thought
edgewood49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 15, 11:26 am
  #941  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VA
Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Posts: 709
Anyone know exactly where they are with renovations at this point? Is EWA Tower totally finished? I'm seeing some reports that guests don't feel they can use their balcony during the day because construction is noisy outside as well which is obviously concerning.

We are traveling at the end of next week and trying to figure out where to stay. Leaning toward the Hyatt (vs Marriott and Sheraton/Westin, which are considerably more expensive). However, some of what I'm seeing scares me! I would like a renovated room with a good view and a balcony we can enjoy.
MFLetou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 15, 1:36 pm
  #942  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NJ
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Posts: 44,218
I was told the EWA tower is completely finished. However, the echo chamber between the 2 buildings might cause it to be noisy in the Ewa tower, depending where your room is.
Mary2e is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 15, 1:56 pm
  #943  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,132
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
I was told the EWA tower is completely finished. However, the echo chamber between the 2 buildings might cause it to be noisy in the Ewa tower, depending where your room is.
That's what I heard during my stay on Monday. My room was facing the Diamond Head tower, though I did not hear any noise from the construction. In the photo below, you can see many of the rooms that are being renovated.

This was my first stay in one of the renovated rooms, as well as my first stay in the Ewa tower since 2011. Biggest thing I liked about the renovated room was all of the new power outlets. Previously, I would have to unplug the lamp, etc. to plug in my iPhone charger.. Now they've got outlets built into the side table, and many other scattered throughout the room.











FriendlySkies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 15, 2:00 pm
  #944  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NJ
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Posts: 44,218
Arghhh... I spent a few hours critiquing the sample rooms when I saw them in preview and they apparently didn't listen

But the power strip is nice

FWIW - I hate the paint color. So did a few others I spoke with that previewed And there's still no room for luggage or storage .
Mary2e is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 15, 2:13 pm
  #945  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany
Programs: IC Amb, Priority Plat, Accor Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Posts: 493
Awful I agree on the paint job.

The last time I saw a colour like that was whilst watching Alcatraz the movie....

I have seen some very random refurbs in the last couple of years.

Odd decisions.
dewby is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread