Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
This was my view from above Ilima. If you ask for further out in the Poipu Wing you'll be closer to the ocean, closer to the Club, but further from the pool/lobby. If you want quiet, ask for far end of Poipu Wing.

Thank you for posting pictures.

I think we will want to be as close to the oceanview as possible so I will keep in mid requesting down towards the end. Thank you Mary.

We are young and do not mind walking as much, would prefer having the views from the room in our off hours instead I think.

Exciting stuff, I have kept up with this thread but any other tips for our upcoming sepetmber trip? Going to be here 6 days and have a grand club room on points booked.

Pulled off a pretty epic points honeymoon so far, 6 nights at the GHK in club, 7 nights in HR maui, and round trip first class flights. Saving our money to be able to do stuff on the islands.

Last edited by peteropny; Jun 27, 2014 at 8:20 am Reason: Remove quoted pic
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You're welcome.

A word of note... the far end of the Poipu wing, is well, far... far from everything. The lobby, the pool, the parking lot, etc. The only things that are the spa and club.

I know you said you are young and don't mind walking, but keep in mind that if you are at the pool and forgot something in your room, it's at least a 10-15 minute walk back and forth - and that's if you learn the right paths to take to get there more directly. If you walk through the lobby you will be walking for a long time.

If you don't have a problem with that, it's great. But at least you know about it.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Was there last year in mid-October. First two nights stayed via CC award nights, and was upgraded to a pool-view (Room 3132). Third Night we had paid for an Ocean-View, and were upgraded to an Ocean View Suite (Room 6083). We decided to extend our stay and paid for two nights Garden-View, and was upgraded to Deluxe Ocean View (Room 6093). It meant moving around quite a bit, but for what we paid, incredible value. This year I am Diamond, have booked end of October via Govt Rate and Diamond Upgrade Cert. Someone there told me I could pay additional to upgrade to Ocean Suite (since the upgrade is only to Garden Suite), which is what prompted me to strive for Diamond to begin with. What she didn't specify was that it is subject to availability on Check-In. Disappointed to say the least. I figure with a 7 night stay, odds of getting upgraded at least for a couple nights are pretty good, it's also not the busy season. I actually might put in a request for the Presidential on our last night (Upgrade says 1K a night, so I'd only do a night). If you haven't been yet, check out a couple of my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DgSAKpfeug (Video Preview of the grounds) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0vH5FvMBqQ (Tour of the Suite)
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: moka Lifetime
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Here now. 7 nights with a DSU. Got a first floor suite as requested, so the kiddos can run around on the grass, and enjoy the hammocks. Diamond recognition and check in process was excellent. I chose the cabana as my amenity, but they also sent up a tray of red velvet cupcakes about 15 minutes of arriving in the room.

This is my 3rd stay in 4 years. It seems remarkably uncrowded for June. I saw a few signs for a Lazy Boy convention and others, so perhaps they are stuck in the meeting rooms (or golfing) each afternoon. I've rarely seen the waterslide so empty

Service is better than years past; the majority of staff knew me by name after the 2nd day. Grand club offerings are not quite what they used to be, but as others have said, the staff are great.

Overall, very happy with my stay thus far, and plan to come back again next year. Feel free to message me with questions...
You wouldn't recommend a ocean suite with an infant and toddler?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Someone there told me I could pay additional to upgrade to Ocean Suite (since the upgrade is only to Garden Suite), which is what prompted me to strive for Diamond to begin with. What she didn't specify was that it is subject to availability on Check-In. Disappointed to say the least.
It may not have been specifically stated in your discussions re: upgrading, etc… but one can pretty much assume that with any loyalty program benefit, be it first/business class seats, suite upgrades, early check in - you name it, it is "subject to availability" As much as Hyatt may appreciate our loyalty, our loyalty isn't going to trump someone willing to pay the full rate to stay in an Ocean Suite.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:57 pm

Yeah, I understand that the benefits are subject to availability. What I wish was that there was a way to pay additional to upgrade from the Diamond Upgrade Award to guarantee such a room. I.E, I'm currently guaranteed a Garden View Suite per my booking and using an Upgrade Award, and I'd like to have the option to pay extra to upgrade from that to an Ocean Suite (the average difference in cost for my stay seems to be about 250-300). Seems like the best way to do that is through eStandby, but it's still subject to availibility, so seems to be no point in that. They already know via phone conversation I'd like an upgrade if it's available. What's really disappointing is that the Presidential Suite appears as an option for $1K per night extra. I definately can't afford 7 nights of that. I'd like to request it for a single night at that rate via the eStandby upgrade page, but that is not an option (per a representative at the GH Kauai). Again, they have my request for an upgrade, but how likely is it that I'd go from Garden Suite to Presidential if it doesn't appear that I'm willing to pay anything extra for it? (Even if it's available)

Last edited by joecool1885; Jul 5, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There's nearly always the option of paying for an additional upgrade. Just contact the hotel directly, here it's the hotel that will make you an offer...not GP.

But it's usually something close to the paid difference, don't expect a substantial discount because you are Diamond. E-upgrade is discounted but is nothing like a guaranteed upgrade.

Your expextations about free or discounted upgrades just aren't very realistic.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
There's nearly always the option of paying for an additional upgrade. Just contact the hotel directly, here it's the hotel that will make you an offer...not GP.

But it's usually something close to the paid difference, don't expect a substantial discount because you are Diamond. E-upgrade is discounted but is nothing like a guaranteed upgrade.

Your expextations about free or discounted upgrades just aren't very realistic.
That's what I did, contacted the hotel directly and asked to pay the difference to upgrade. They told me subject to availability on check in. It's funny because the estandby upgrade is actually more expensive than the difference in rates on their website for that week. (A difference I would happily pay) Odd to say the least. What exactly is unrealistic? I stayed there last year for five nights, two using my CC awards. I was given a complimentary upgrade for all three of my paid nights (from an Ocean View to Ocean Suite, 2 categories up, for one night, and from a Garden View to Ocean View, also two categories up, for two nights) and that was as a platinum member. Of course, this is the only place I've had such an experience. I not delusional enough to expect they would comp me the presidential suite for my whole stay there, but like I said, I would happily pay the eStandy rate to upgrade to it for a single night if it's available, I just wish that were an option.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There is a big difference in getting an upgrade approved before a stay or at check-in... but it's strange that a property doesn't want to confirm one when you would pay the difference. That hasn't happened to me before...

But a property doesn't get much for a DSU so maybe when they think they will be able to sell the other suite at full price they prefer that.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:14 pm

joecool,
just curious... have you made diamond via a challenge?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:50 pm

But a property doesn't get much for a DSU so maybe when they think they will be able to sell the other suite at full price they prefer that.
That makes sense to me. Probably what it is.

@cmjaffe... No, completed via 25 stays. Would've been nice to have had the challenge.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And this seems to be a property that is being overrun with Diamonds (a lot on the challenge) and are therefore being less generous.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:30 pm

And this seems to be a property that is being overrun with Diamonds (a lot on the challenge) and are therefore being less generous.
Makes sense. I'm just hoping it's as empty as it was last year. Last year we stayed Oct 15-20, and it seemed incredibly light. This year we're out there a week and a half later in the year.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
A WONDERFUL introduction to Hawaii

This was my first visit to Hawaii. A great fare to Kauai from LAX and cash+points availability made the Grand Hyatt Kauai a no-brainer for our visit.

The resort is stunning. I had to stop and admire the beautiful lobby for a long time before checking in.

The Lei greeting and warm welcome from the valet/bell staff, the wonderful hospitality of Malaika at the front desk and the great "locals only" advice given to us by the young man who handled our luggage all made for a great first impression.

I was upgraded to a deluxe ocean view corner room on the fifth floor of the quieter Club wing=away from the pools. The view was breathtaking. Nothing between my balcony and the ocean except for a beautifully landscaped lawn/walking area.The room was of good size and very nicely furnished with a great big bathroom=double sinks,big shower stall(no tub),seperate WC with a fancy Toto toilet. BIG closet! Fridge and safe in one cabinet and a nice big dresser. No desk but a large table with 2 chairs. a very comfy easy chair with ottoman and of course the wonderful Grand Hyatt Bed. Balcony had a small table(thankfully tall enough to dine/work on)and two chairs. The room was spotless and all soft/case goods were in good shape as was the decor.

The Grand Lounge was great as was the staff. The lounge might have stayed open a bit longer in the evening but that was the only fault I could find with it.

We had a lovely dinner at Tidepools. The Poke Due was fantastic as was the fish special.

I would highly recommend exploring the extensive grounds. Really worth the walk especially early in the morning or late evening after the poools quiet down. I took a five mile hike off property to watch the sunrise.This was physically challenging for me but it was so worth it.

Checkout was a bittersweet pleasure made a bit easier by the warmth of the front desk staff.

I really loved Kauai and the Grand Hyatt Kauai. I look forward to returning.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: moka Lifetime
Thanks for the report.
I'm at the hotel now and I would just like to add how wonderful the staff has been. They really go above and beyond when they are able to. I'm here with 2 little girls and everyone tries to make them smile when they can. Really makes a great romantic or family vacation spot.
Good work staff at the GHK!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.