Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The north shore is beautiful but i would never recommend it for anything other than a day or two visit unless you get to or plan to get to Kauai frequently. I can't imagine the vacation of a lifetime and a week or two of nothing but daily downpours and flooding. Granted, chances are your trip will be just fine, but you need to be prepared to be drenched and it can happen any time of the year (sometimes more likely than others).
Over dramatic much?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Over dramatic much?
Over dramatic??? I think he is spot on! And ILuvParis has a place on the island...I think he might know what he's talking about. Just Sayin'...

We always stay in Poipu and head to the north shore for a day to see the beauty of it...we have yet to go up there and not run into rain...most of the time, more than just an island shower.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Over dramatic much?
Just enough drama. If you had read closely, you would have noticed that I said your vacation will probably be "just fine," but be prepared. What's wrong with that?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just enough drama. If you had read closely, you would have noticed that I said your vacation will probably be "just fine," but be prepared. What's wrong with that?
You said you would "never recommend it" to people for other than a day trip unless they visit Kauai frequently. That's way overdramatic.

When making Hawaii recommendations, I always make a point of mentioning that the north shore (of any of the islands) tends to get more rain than the south or west shores. But rain is a potential concern pretty much anywhere in the islands for much of the year (with Kohala coast and Wailea presenting the lowest risk).

In my view, people are capable of determining for themselves whether the incremental risk of wet weather on the north shore outweighs all the positives . . . I don't need to give melodramatic overstatements to dissuade them from staying in an area which many find much more appealing than Poipu (which I really dislike, btw).

Can we now get back to the thread topic?
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Spending 600-1000 does seem crazy for a basic room. I'm lucky in that I qualify for Gov't rate, and I also never go there during peak season. (Though some have noted this place seems to be "peak" year round).

Personally I like the beach, but a day at Polihale was perfect for me. Getting in a pool like at GH is equivalent of or better than ocean swimming to me.

The rest of the time we travel around the whole island doing various activities, so where we are on the island is somewhat irrelevant to us.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’ve been to Kauai about 20 times, usually 2 weeks. Always stay on the North Shore. Only once was rain an issue (in April)

i always recommend the North Shore for stays from May 15 to Oct 15, which is when I go 95% of the time. For me, it’s what makes Kauai special.

Now that I’m a Hyatt person, I might start with a few days at the GH. But by day 3, I want the lush beauty of the north shore.

A blanket recommendation to never stay there is a disservice.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just finished a week long stay at this property. I will echo what the others have said, the club has really downgraded their offerings at both breakfast and dinner hour service. As someone who stays at this property yearly, I skipped my 2017 visit, but I was kinda surprised at just how much the offerings were devalued.

That being said, what brings me back is the location. I typically don't even visit during the dinner offering time as there are plenty of good choices in Poipu. I used a suite upgrade and got an amazing corner suite, on the first floor. I guess they call it partial ocean view because its on the first floor, but I was not complaining at all.

I understand people's complaints about this property, but I wouldn't stay at the St. Regis due to the location, and the pools at the GH really are better IMO. I think its really a matter of personal preference, which for me is really preferring Poipu, and Kauai in general.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by beachfan

A blanket recommendation to never stay there is a disservice.
What is a disservice is distorting what someone else says. There was no blanket recommendation to never stay there.
bsdstone, levilevi and joecool1885 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Had a recent stay here and while I found the room to be dated, it didn't bother me too much, as most of the time was outside the room.
I felt the Globalist recognition was great (upgraded to a ocean view suite - but you could barely see the ocean from the ground floor.) I didn't complain

They were super nice at check-in. I actually got there early and they provided certificates for a free meal and drink at some of the bars outside. Great poke bowl!

Overall a beautiful property.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Had a recent stay here and while I found the room to be dated, it didn't bother me too much, as most of the time was outside the room.
I felt the Globalist recognition was great (upgraded to a ocean view suite - but you could barely see the ocean from the ground floor.) I didn't complain

They were super nice at check-in. I actually got there early and they provided certificates for a free meal and drink at some of the bars outside. Great poke bowl!

Overall a beautiful property.
Glad you had a good experience!
For clarification, "Ocean view suites" are on floors 2, 4, 5, and 6, not on ground level. You most likely had a Standard Suite, some of which have a minimal view of the ocean. (though I believe the new "pool suite" is also ground floor.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
What is a disservice is distorting what someone else says. There was no blanket recommendation to never stay there.
fair enough; sorry for the misinterpretation.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:23 am

Sorry, one more "off topic" post and concerns the April rains. This is from the Kauai Restaurant Recommendations thread, posted today:

Originally Posted by cawhite
I just returned from a little over a week on island. The restaurants on the main strip in Hanalei are open for business except Postcards and The Dolphin. Postcards is targeting a June 15 re-opening, and Dolphin/Fish Market is still hoping for July (no actual estimates on the date). Anything beyond Hanalei is still closed to all but resident traffic (and those working the rebuilding/clean-up) - access by permit only via scheduled convoy.
Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i" thread

I post it not just to illustrate a point, but to alert those who may be planning a visit in the near future.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:32 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Glad you had a good experience!
For clarification, "Ocean view suites" are on floors 2, 4, 5, and 6, not on ground level. You most likely had a Standard Suite, some of which have a minimal view of the ocean. (though I believe the new "pool suite" is also ground floor.
Clarification to this - the hotel has recently defined a "Standard Suite" category that they use for suite upgrades. This was *NOT* the case in the recent past and this policy by the hotel has burned us on our current trip. We used upgrades ~2-3 months ago to upgrade to an "Oceanview Suite" after tracking availability for our dates. At no time did the description of the room refer to "ground floor only" or we would not have booked. A ground floor room at this hotel on the spa side is a recipe for loud children outside your room at all hours, listening to folks' conversations outside your room, etc. Not worth it. In fact, it's *WORSE* than a regular room on a higher floor.

Fast forward to today when the property has defined a new "Standard Suite" category that is limited to ground floor and added WoH upgrade language to its room descriptions and they insist that we can only be accommodated on the ground floor. On one hand, I applaud the property's transparency... on the other, applying this retroactively to previous reservations without notice is dishonest in my opinion. At a minimum, send us an email or give us a call to let us know you've made a change. We can then remove the upgrade and/or negotiate acceptable compensation for the hotel changing what we'd booked.

We've stayed here twice before... and had issues like this on 2 of our 3 stays. Seems to be that they're focused on limiting the value of points stays. As a result, we've also cancelled all of our dinner reservations on property and decided to look elsewhere for spa services. Speaking of, there's a service you can book for an in-room massage that's less than half the cost of the hotel spa and very well reviewed on yelp. fingers crossed it's a high quality experience. Reap what you sow I guess...
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Clarification to this - the hotel has recently defined a "Standard Suite" category that they use for suite upgrades. This was *NOT* the case in the recent past and this policy by the hotel has burned us on our current trip. We used upgrades ~2-3 months ago to upgrade to an "Oceanview Suite" after tracking availability for our dates. At no time did the description of the room refer to "ground floor only" or we would not have booked. A ground floor room at this hotel on the spa side is a recipe for loud children outside your room at all hours, listening to folks' conversations outside your room, etc. Not worth it. In fact, it's *WORSE* than a regular room on a higher floor.

Fast forward to today when the property has defined a new "Standard Suite" category that is limited to ground floor and added WoH upgrade language to its room descriptions and they insist that we can only be accommodated on the ground floor. ...
Not sure how you define "recently" but ground floor garden suite as DSU category has been in place for at least 3 years - we stayed there in 2014-15 several times. Not sure about club etc complaints but this has been in place for quite some time. They try to upgrade to better suites if there is availability but hotels are pretty full these days..
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:54 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
We booked earlier this spring and reservations insisted that “oceanview suite” had to be available to use upgrades. That’s what we were confirmed in and even the hotel acknowledges it - but claims it was an error.

going forward they’ve redefined their categories so that what used to be a garden suite is now a “standard suite” which is good for transparency.

My issue here is that the confirmed in one category, then downgraded us when they oversold that category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.