Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The following thread may also be of help for restaurants in the area: Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i" thread.
I'm going next month and was planning on stopping by Koloa Fish Market for a meal to take back to the room.
Thanks FlyinHawaiian! I didn't know about that thread. Also, thanks to joecool1885 and ryandc99 for their replies!
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
We had a very pleasant three night stay last week. We stayed in Ocean View Suite 6008; I found this older post very helpful in setting my expectations. In short, 6008 is the Ocean View Suite on the top (6th) floor that is closest to the ocean but also the farthest from the main lobby and parking lot. I was staying on a basic award, supplemented by a cash upgrade to the suite. The resort fee and valet parking fee were absent from my folio per the Globalist benefits and the $10 per night discount for waiving room service was also automatically posted. Our welcome amenity was a box of Hawaiian Host chocolate-covered macadamia nuts, some Anahola Granola bars, a bag of taro chips, a bag of candied cheese puff balls, and bottles of house red and white wine.

We were very, very happy with the suite. While not renovated, the living room furniture was relatively new (our porter commented on it and the new wood smell) and it was lovely to leave the lanai doors open and listen to the waves crashing onto the reef below.

View from 6008

We spent a lot of time at the pool (I went down the slide a few times). Another FTer clued me into an unpublished Globalist benefit which is if you ask at the Front Desk during check-in, rubber wristband room keys are available; these also double as the wristbands for the pool so you don't need to get the separate bands each day.

The Club offerings were pretty basic and a notch below what I remember from pre-COVID stays. The staff, while generally-friendly were also lacking the true Aloha Spirit that existed in the past. It's still a nice benefit, though.

I've posted our restaurant experiences in the thread in the Hawaii Forum that I linked upthread.

One final note - the washlet controls in the bathroom weren't working, so I used the SMS service to open a trouble ticket and the wall control unit was replaced with a wireless remote control while we were out one day. So, if any future FTers stay in this suite, I'd appreciate it if they would think of me while using it.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 11, 2022 at 11:30 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Bangkok Bowl and Volcano Pizza down the road are semi-outdoors (they're in an open air mall) and both very good.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:04 pm

For a person about 5'5" and 130lbs, would a roll away bed or a pull out sofa bed be preferable?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Another FTer clued me into an unpublished Globalist benefit which is if you ask at the Front Desk during check-in, rubber wristband room keys are available; these also double as the wristbands for the pool so you don't need to get the separate bands each day.
Asked about this a few days ago, and they've stopped using these wristband keys. Apparently they didn't always charge correctly, so a lot of people were getting locked out--only the Globalists!

Got the same welcome gift in our standard suite. No issues with the suite itself, though being on the first floor meant that we had much less of an ocean view; on the flip side, we were able to walk directly out towards the beach in the morning to catch the sunrise. Very nice stay.
Calcifer likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Not sure what to do... we are a family of 4 (3yo and 1yo), but if I were to use a SUA to book the Standard Suite, it appears it is a max occupancy of 3. Is there anything I can do? Pool Suite is max 4 but its also +$400/nt in rate (crazy). Do I just book it as 3 and show up as 4?! lol man... need to extra space but not feeling the extra $400/nt.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Not sure what to do... we are a family of 4 (3yo and 1yo), but if I were to use a SUA to book the Standard Suite, it appears it is a max occupancy of 3. Is there anything I can do? Pool Suite is max 4 but its also +$400/nt in rate (crazy). Do I just book it as 3 and show up as 4?! lol man... need to extra space but not feeling the extra $400/nt.
Book as 3 and then email the property to request a rollaway. I had booked for 3 (2 adults + 3yo child) and then about 2 weeks before, my mom ended up deciding to join us. Had already used SUA at that point and emailed the hotel to make sure there would be no issue - they said that was fine and they'd have a rollaway bed placed in the room at no charge.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by EPPanda
Book as 3 and then email the property to request a rollaway. I had booked for 3 (2 adults + 3yo child) and then about 2 weeks before, my mom ended up deciding to join us. Had already used SUA at that point and emailed the hotel to make sure there would be no issue - they said that was fine and they'd have a rollaway bed placed in the room at no charge.
Nice thanks! Will try this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Sleeper chair in standard rooms?

Can anyone confirm if there’s a sleeper pullout mattress (it looks the chair in the corner near the lanai) for standard rooms? Trying to travel with a young kid for a group of 4.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Fluff Ermine
Can anyone confirm if there’s a sleeper pullout mattress (it looks the chair in the corner near the lanai) for standard rooms? Trying to travel with a young kid for a group of 4.
We had a sleeper chair (twin mattress) in our standard room when we stayed last year. Our room actually had a king, queen, and the sleeper chair - so it could sleep 5.
Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by ahself
We had a sleeper chair (twin mattress) in our standard room when we stayed last year. Our room actually had a king, queen, and the sleeper chair - so it could sleep 5.
Thanks! That’s interesting… mind sharing what room category it was? I booked a two queen ocean view and it looks similar enough to the base room, so assuming it still has the sleeper chair.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Fluff Ermine
Thanks! That’s interesting… mind sharing what room category it was? I booked a two queen ocean view and it looks similar enough to the base room, so assuming it still has the sleeper chair.
I was a globalist and booked a 2-queen standard room on points. I requested a view of the grounds and ocean in my email exchange with the GH before the trip. We ended up on the 5th floor in the Poipu wing looking toward Todepools and Shipwreck Beach.
Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
We stayed here in June with the same combination. 2 adults and a 5 yo and 2 yo. It was booked as three people and a rollaway was requested. We showed up with four and there was no issue. It’s more than enough space for everyone. Enjoy your stay!
zzrayzz likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:22 pm

What's the latest on getting a Taxi from LIH to Poipu? We have a car rental lined up -- but for pickup from the Avis in the hotel itself. So need to make it to the hotel from the airport -- arriving during Thanksgiving week ~5p and would like need some sort of minivan taxi to schlep a family of 5 to the hotel.

Is there still a reasonable taxi queue at the airport? Do we need to book something in advance? What are things like in the post-covid world?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AllThePants
What's the latest on getting a Taxi from LIH to Poipu? We have a car rental lined up -- but for pickup from the Avis in the hotel itself. So need to make it to the hotel from the airport -- arriving during Thanksgiving week ~5p and would like need some sort of minivan taxi to schlep a family of 5 to the hotel.

Is there still a reasonable taxi queue at the airport? Do we need to book something in advance? What are things like in the post-covid world?
We rented a car at the airport this week, but my mom arrived a day earlier and took a taxi to the Grand Hyatt. She said there were no taxis when she arrived but a phone that said "call for a taxi." She did, and it was efficient enough. She said the fare using the meter was over $80, which seems like a lot to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.