Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France

I plan to be in Kauai in April. Can anyone recommend its best restaurant ? not in a hotel chain. Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Sorry I can't give you the best restaurant,but I can tell you it's not Portofino's in Lihue.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:33 pm

I wasn't all that enthralled with the Beach House either, although nothing was really wrong with it. Honestly I enjoyed a pumpkin curry soup and Ahi nori wrap at Caffe Coco a lot more than the Ahi entree at the Beach house, at a third of the price. Two entirely different atmospheres though.

I thought Roy's was the most consistent with the chocolate souffle easily being the best dessert.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
I plan to be in Kauai in April. Can anyone recommend its best restaurant ? not in a hotel chain. Thanks
Try Gaylords.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:45 pm

Best restaurant on Kauai may well be a title awarded by default. There is some good food, though nothing outstanding comes to mind. Still I hope you get some recommedations that make a choice easier.

Hope you consider the Cafe Hanalei (Princeville Hotel, request outdoor seating) for a nice leisurely lunch. And it will be leisurely because that's the pace of service. Nice, but slow. Which is a huge improvement over some otherwise grudging and lacking service elsewhere. Just the way it is. The scenery is the main reason to come, as the mountains are as majestic as you will find on the islands. And you need time to take them in. Ocean views are quite spectacular, too. There are some very good salads--a nice Cobb salad-- and a drink menu that might please.

Knowing this in advance may take the pressure off to find the 'best' place or get the 'best table' for sunset. That may happen, but you can enjoy sunset or sunrise on its own if someone has already gotten that coveted table 11 or 14 or whatever, wherever. Kauai is just amazing on its own.

My favorite meal revolves around sleeping late and cooking some Organic eggs (5.49 a dozen) and great coffee and whatever else I picked up at the also lackluster grocery stores. Pretty rural and many of the good to better restaurants are at the hotels. Enjoy the time there, that's what makes Kauai special. And if you are sharing it with someone, all the more so.

Last edited by Orchids; Feb 24, 2007 at 8:27 pm
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are you looking for the best food, or the best 'restaurant', meaning a balance of style, service and ambiance?

The best food on Kaua'i can be found at places that are not restaurants - but you can take-out and make your own perfect experience, like a sunset picnic dinner on the beach.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We tried a number of places during a recent week there. Our favorite was Keoki's Paradise, in the same shopping center as Roy's.

This is technically a chain and the main reason we liked it was the opportunity to eat a rare Certified Angus prime rib one night, and a Prime New York strip loin the next night, at surprisingly reasonable prices. ^

The service was fine and the atmosphere touristy yet pleasant.

http://www.keokisparadise.com/
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I know you don't want a restaurant in a chain hotel, but I have to tell you that we LOVE Dondero's at the Grand Hyatt. No, it's not a restaurant with the fusion that is so popular on the islands, but I had the best Chicken Marsala there that I have ever had. Service was impecable too.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
We tried a number of places during a recent week there. Our favorite was Keoki's Paradise, in the same shopping center as Roy's.

This is technically a chain and the main reason we liked it was the opportunity to eat a rare Certified Angus prime rib one night, and a Prime New York strip loin the next night, at surprisingly reasonable prices. ^

The service was fine and the atmosphere touristy yet pleasant.

http://www.keokisparadise.com/
I agree that Keoki's is very good. Do you try Gaylords? Old Plantation house. Eating out on the veranda was a wonderful experience. Closet to a Maui type restaurant I have found on Kauhi. www.gaylordskauai.com
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jw3putt
I agree that Keoki's is very good. Do you try Gaylords? Old Plantation house. Eating out on the veranda was a wonderful experience. Closet to a Maui type restaurant I have found on Kauhi. www.gaylordskauai.com

Next time - we loved Kauai and plan to return.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been a few years, but I remember a nice meal at Cafe Pacifica. Had some fantastic freshly caught Ahi at a Sushi/Hibachi restaurant north of the airport and a great burger at Ono Burger on the way to Princeville.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:18 pm

A Pacific Cafe went BK about two years ago. Keokis is like coffee shop fare in the Poipu shopping center. Fair. Roy's is barely okay. Beach house is unacceptably poor food and the only great thing is their location (so suggest pupu's and drinks if you wish to try it out). There's a new restaurant that replaced Charo's that has received high acclaim (that's in Haena). We haven't tried it yet. Some like Kintaro's Japanese - I'd say just okay. Dondero's at Hyatt - okay, sort of hit or miss. Princeville - forget. Postcards - fair. Gaylord's - fair.

Bottom line: Kauai isn't a place to come looking for fine restaurant dining. It does not exist. With that in mind, you should find okay food. Condo cooking of local ingredients definitely yields visitors the most wonderful meals. Otherwise, spend the big bucks on something more interesting.

As for the "also lackluster grocery stores," things have improved in that area, especially since Costco arrived. I'd do the farmer's markets (every day but Sunday) all over the island, and then Fish Express across from Walmart for fresh fish and spiny lobster.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Hi,
For less-local readers, would the mods or each poster mind noting the location for each ^ or ?
It seems it is worth driving some distance to decent locations or food providers (restaurant or takeout), so it may be a case of avoiding an entire area if there is better dining elsewhere.

jtkaui, it sounds like Poipu is best suited to self-catering.
Are there differences in sevice seasonally?

Just in case things improve when it is not high season / Spring Break!
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Hi,
For less-local readers, would the mods or each poster mind noting the location for each ^ or ?
It seems it is worth driving some distance to decent locations or food providers (restaurant or takeout), so it may be a case of avoiding an entire area if there is better dining elsewhere.

jtkaui, it sounds like Poipu is best suited to self-catering.
Are there differences in sevice seasonally?

Just in case things improve when it is not high season / Spring Break!
the whole island is well suited to self-catering. you should easily be able to google up the address and phone for anything that has been referred to. i wouldn't base any of your plans on where you eat -- it sincerely would not be worth it. kauai has great things to offer. i suggest you find those that attract you and let the food fall around it. enjoy!

there are no differencesin service seasonally, although at peak times you might want to get to places early, or have reservations.

ps: in your case bizibb, save the fine dining for when you get home.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by jtkauai
the whole island is well suited to self-catering. you should easily be able to google up the address and phone for anything that has been referred to. i wouldn't base any of your plans on where you eat -- it sincerely would not be worth it. kauai has great things to offer. i suggest you find those that attract you and let the food fall around it. enjoy!

there are no differencesin service seasonally, although at peak times you might want to get to places early, or have reservations.

ps: in your case bizibb, save the fine dining for when you get home.
Sightseeing on Kauai involves a lot of driving and you do have to plan around meals to some extent. It would be very helpful to offer a few good places based on recent experience. I think many people arrive hungry and would appreciate a place for a quick bite. Also please keep in mind, a dining experience on vacation is never viewed from the same perspective of someone local. We're all inclined to make some allowances if the ambiance is great, or the service sincere. And if the food is good, or hot, well--bonus time!

'Self-catering' is a charming phrase for working vacation. Really no one wants to be on the hook for 21meals in 7 days, so eating out at some point just happens to be a necessity. And no matter where you stay, at some time or other you are elsewhere and hungry. Mentioning Costco will help out a lot of people on a first trip or if it's been several years. If all of this has been addressed on another thread, please re-direct. Thanks, jtkauai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.