Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Possibilities(2) - 5k Bonus for 3 nights (30k Max) - 9/15-11/15/2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possibilities(2) - 5k Bonus for 3 nights (30k Max) - 9/15-11/15/2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Is that 20K for leisure or business? I am sure the topic of who pays their own way and who is on an expense account is complex issue.

Back on topic, how is that Hyatt promo looking now?

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Aug 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
I don't follow your logic - how would FFN or any promo help you if there is no hyatt where you need to be?

Let's not go nuts here. Promos or not Hyatt is the most consistent and customer friendly chain that unlike others does not really have any "try to avoid" properties.

If you seriously consider taking business from Hyatt to Hilton or Marriott you'll find out how watered down and useless top tier benefits those programs have become. You may have better luck with SPG but that one is inconsistent and very property dependent.
Plus it's not like other chains have anything particularly interesting to offer so far.

I'd love to see promos but my choice on personal travel now is probably Hyatt vs Priceline not Hyatt vs other chains - that balance hasn't really changed.
You've pretty much articulated my situation. Hyatt is still my first choice over Hilton and PC all things being equal. (I've never been a Marriott fan for some reason, and the fact that they explicitly prohibit government rate to cost-recoverable government contractors is a big negative for a chunk of my work travel.) But I just don't know if I can find 25 stays a year where I can give Hyatt my business when you factor in price. Hilton still gets a bunch of my stays because of it's reach and the fact that Hamptons are not as erratic as HIX. But they've annoyed me worse than Hyatt, and I was an 8-time Hilton Diamond.

What appears to have happened is that the loyalty programs are not generating enough loyalty for those who pay to stay vs. the credit cards, the same trend that many discuss with the airlines. Except in the hotel space, Priceline is a much more usable option. Book a Hyatt with a 6pm day before cancellation, run Priceline (via Fatwallet) bids 24 hours before leaving, cancel the Hyatt, get 3% cashback from Fatwallet. And sometimes as a bonus, Priceline yields the same Hyatt Regency!

I'd really like to get back to Diamond, because the few full-service Hyatts where I have revenue stays treat me VERY well. If I had 100 stays or 150 nights a year, I could do so easily, but I only have about 40 stays and 65 nights. I might be better off biting the bullet and forget Diamond, and when Priceline doesn't come through go the NOR1 route (shudder) and also spring for the buffet breakfast.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:52 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
IIRC, virtually all Hyatt properties participate in Hyatt promotions (perhaps a handful of non-participating) but with SPG the non-participating properties seem to increase each time a promo is run.

As much as this Hyatt promo is disappointing to me, the new SPG promo is useless as the properties I would be staying at are not participating.

I still find Hyatt to consistently treat me better as a Diamond than SPG hotels do as a Platinum.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by luxury
I still find Hyatt to consistently treat me better as a Diamond than SPG hotels do as a Platinum.
+1

The ratio of plat vs non-plats is probably higher than Diamonds vs non-Diamonds. That may explain why Diamonds are treated better. Folks that expressed dropping off the Diamond list will only help those who are committed to staying as Diamonds
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Hmm...
Do not love this, especially the 3 stay multiple part. I always end up a stay short, and due to limited locations, have difficulty finding a reasonably priced mattress run. (not that this promo is even worth a mattress run, but would consider it if I needed the night to requalify. I don't)

And I have said it repeatedly - promo's aren't worth anything if you don't actually like the properties! I like Hyatt, and I like being Diamond at Hyatt. (As it doesn't matter if you are uber Diamond when staying at HP or SS, they don't factor into my decision) I would like to keep Diamond for one reason....resorts on vacation, and breakfast included at those resorts.

But with their limited locations, and higher priced ( than Marriott or Hilton) full service properties, I don't know if I can make the Diamond hurdle in 2012.

I DO have the credit card, but am seeing little encouragement to keep it.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Is that 20K for leisure or business?
about 60-70% biz and 30-40% leisure
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Hmm...
Do not love this, especially the 3 stay multiple part. I always end up a stay short, and due to limited locations, have difficulty finding a reasonably priced mattress run. (not that this promo is even worth a mattress run, but would consider it if I needed the night to requalify. I don't)

And I have said it repeatedly - promo's aren't worth anything if you don't actually like the properties! I like Hyatt, and I like being Diamond at Hyatt. (As it doesn't matter if you are uber Diamond when staying at HP or SS, they don't factor into my decision) I would like to keep Diamond for one reason....resorts on vacation, and breakfast included at those resorts.

But with their limited locations, and higher priced ( than Marriott or Hilton) full service properties, I don't know if I can make the Diamond hurdle in 2012.

I DO have the credit card, but am seeing little encouragement to keep it.
I used to think Hyatt had higher rates than Hilton and Marriott, until I found the IBM code!^
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Pay 99% from own pocket for leisure and 1% work pays for a conference, although I usually top that up so can stay 5*. So far this year, have spent $11000 (according to gold passport base points) with a further definite spend of $4000 qualifying by December and a probable further $1000 plus some non qualifying spend. all figures are the qualifying amount minus tax. But I can't maintain diamond on that as it will be 15-17 stays plus 2 non qualifying.

A good promo might have had me hotel hopping in London, but can't justify extra spend for 10000 points extra.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: Hyatt_DIA, ANA_DIA
Pareto's Principle or the 80-20 Rule

There is no wonder significant profit generators at Hyatt properties, specifically at high ends are those belonging to 20 percentile of top spending. Even within the category of GP-diamond membership, this theory should principally be applied to or not all diamond members are “good” customers for Hyatt. Almost all companies wish to capture those 20% customers and/or try to attract those belonging to slightly below 20% to reach at the 20% line. There might have recently been Hyatt internal decision to focus on the quality of service (presumed to be the fundamental element of the selection criteria for high spenders) rather than price-sensitive customers. Although my experience with Hyatt is less than three years and with at around 10 different Hyatts, I have a feeling that those staying regularly at Category 5 or 6 do not select Category 1 or 2 for any purpose. Vice versa, those staying at Category 1 or 2 are unlikely to pay for Category 5 or 6. Even when they stay at those properties, their spending will be limited or not lucrative for the hotels. FFN may become an incentive for all but not at the same degree for high spenders. Those people prefer better room upgrades such as upgrading to signature suites or even presidential. In order to manage diverse interests, Hyatt needs to implement different incentive programs. For me, the objective of a planned 5,000 points/3 nights is not clear enough.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have maintained Diamond status for the last 10 years pretty much out of my own wallet. Some years I have had the opportunity to get a few expenseable stays but it's pretty rare.

One of my problems is the scarcity of Hyatts in Europe and the price. The number of Hyatts in Europe outside Germany has shrunk considerably over the past 10 years so if I want a Hyatt stay in the UK it will have to be in London. I would have to spend a minimumm of $8K to maintain Diamond. What I have done for the past few years is combine a US based Mileage Run with a Hyatt Mattress Run but SWMBO is getting pretty tired of holidays where we have to move hotel every night.

Hilton is much easier for me as there are lots of UK and European hotels and the prices are much lower - my local Hilton is 1/3 the rate of my nearest Hyatt for a weekend stay. Also in Europe we don't get the option of 1,000 bonus points per stay with Hyatt.

Hyatt has done nothing to make me want to stay loyal and this latest promotion is a joke. I won't spend a ton of my own money to get a few points. I am planning to be in the US for vacation later this year but after the promotion finishes so no bonus points for me from this promotion.

Think it's time to say bye bye Hyatt after using their properties for 25 years! Our honeymoon was even spent in Hyatts in Asia
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:34 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I have maintained Diamond status for the last 10 years pretty much out of my own wallet. Some years I have had the opportunity to get a few expenseable stays but it's pretty rare.

One of my problems is the scarcity of Hyatts in Europe and the price. The number of Hyatts in Europe outside Germany has shrunk considerably over the past 10 years so if I want a Hyatt stay in the UK it will have to be in London.
I'm basically the same - Diamond self paid on leisure stays (and some mattress runs) - maybe one conference a year that is subsidized.

Don't forget the Hyatt in Birmingham if you are anywhere close to the property.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by peteropny
Don't forget the Hyatt in Birmingham if you are anywhere close to the property.
I have been staying there since the early 90's when I can. My issue is that it's either a 250 mile return drive or £100 train journey so either way it makes the stay very expensive. The other issue I have is that my employer is based in Boston next to a Marriott so that is the company default hotel chain
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Wow did I pick a great year to make Hyatt my 3rd choice in my requalification process. Marriott and SPG were 1 & 2 respectively. Hyatt was #1 thru 2010. When I made the choice it was strictly based on the removal of the Gx bonus. I have a plan on getting those last 21 nights I need this year but I am pretty much going to just move those to another chain now and reconsider in the january/february timeframe before my diamond status expires whether to make my first 20 stays or so or just abandon Hyatt completely until they make it worth my while to come back.

I was just lucky in my timing I guess
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Hyatt will get exactly 3 more stays from me this year

22 down, 3 to go. IMO Diamond "perks" are worth the effort to requal, with or without a good promo. But I'll give the rest of my business travel to the best value chain after that. Still have my Hyatt card and SPG free nights to burn for personal travel between now and year end.

Still, as unexciting as this promo is, it's better value than Starwood double/triple points, isn't it? "3x" SPG points on a $200 stay only generates 400 incremental points!
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:08 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
The sentiment on this thread really points out how many unsatisfied Hyatt GP elites there currently are due to reductions in benefits to the program( elimination of Gx bonuses) and lack of good promos like FFN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.