Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:52 am

2 Beds with Points?

I need to book a week in NYC for my wife and 18 year old son. I'd like to transfer my UR points to Hyatt to book a room, but the only available rooms on the website have 1 king bed, and that won't work.

Is there a way to get 2 beds? I'm willing to pay more points.

TIA.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RTW1
I understand you, but first paying for a suite and then expecting to get some of your money back by using a DSU when you get it most likely won't work. You cannot split a paid reservation into two parts.

Unless off course when there is still availability at the time you get your DSU and you can cancel your paid reservation.... No property wants to lose revenue by converting cash to DSU.

What has a better chance in my opinion is using points for the suite upgrade and then try to change that part of the booking when you get the DSU. Still no guarantee for success. And I doubt any property will consider a request now when you are not a Diamond yet.
LOL Yes I was referring to cancelling the paid reservation at the same time as requesting the DSU. My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, as long as their is suite availability, you can apply DSU to a full paid rate (not always P&C). And can't you do a DSU through GP customer service? They are not going to have as much concern about losing revenue as the hotel. Plus I will cancel the room regardless so that revenue is gone.

I thought about the points option but 1)not enough points without moving from UR and 2) I don't want to book a higher "deluxe" room.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:58 pm

I know general hyatt GP terms says for multiple rooms in one hotel only one counts for promotional and elite status but Does anyone know if I book two different hotel for same night and check in on both, will it be counted as two eligible nights?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:07 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
You'll need to contact HGP with a good explanation, in order for two stays (at different properties on the same night) to count. Normally it does not count but if you can come up with a good reason then it will count. Example: I had a redeye flight out of LAX therefore I needed a room near LAX before the flight and a room near DFW after the flight. Or, I was working on two different projects in two different parts of town therefore I needed two rooms in order to save travel time.
Originally Posted by vah4883
I know general hyatt GP terms says for multiple rooms in one hotel only one counts for promotional and elite status but Does anyone know if I book two different hotel for same night and check in on both, will it be counted as two eligible nights?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
I was trying to book a room with points for my wife's parents, and somehow the website wasn't allowing me to change the guest names o.o is this new? i seem to remember that I used to be able to do that online.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:30 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by x9bull
I was trying to book a room with points for my wife's parents, and somehow the website wasn't allowing me to change the guest names o.o is this new? i seem to remember that I used to be able to do that online.
AFAIK, issuing awards in another name always required a phone call.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I know I read somewhere that hotels sometimes will extend Diamond privileges to a second room when booked under the Diamond's name. Anyone ever had luck extending it to 3 rooms?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Not likely. It's often not likely for a second room. If the hotel is busy, it's really not likely.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:33 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I know I read somewhere that hotels sometimes will extend Diamond privileges to a second room when booked under the Diamond's name. Anyone ever had luck extending it to 3 rooms?

There is no obligation for hotels
to do so as you already know
My suggestion is to go with no expectation and hope for the best
Simply asking nicely usually goes a long way in a number of hotels
Some hotels are generous and will do so.
I have had this happen up to 3 rooms with breakfast at the hotels discretion though it is extremely rare for this to happen because typically I travel alone
Its also usually a hotel that knows me for many years and wishes to go the extra mile. Being a appreciated guest is also helpful

One way to guarantee benefits for the second room is to book a room on points with new "Guest Of Honor Program"
this allows for your guests to have the same benefits as you do and experience Hyatt the way Diamonds always do.
I'm a huge fan of this program and one of my recent traveling companions is now working on achieving Diamond status on their own after a great experience
at a full service Hyatt under this innovative new program.
I consider this to be one of the greatest concepts ever in the history of Hyatt Gold Passport. Its brilliant out of the box thinking ^
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

There is no obligation for hotels
to do so as you already know
My suggestion is to go with no expectation and hope for the best
Simply asking nicely usually goes a long way in a number of hotels
Some hotels are generous and will do so.
I have had this happen up to 3 rooms with breakfast at the hotels discretion though it is extremely rare for this to happen because typically I travel alone
Its also usually a hotel that knows me for many years and wishes to go the extra mile. Being a appreciated guest is also helpful

One way to guarantee benefits for the second room is to book a room on points with new "Guest Of Honor Program"
this allows for your guests to have the same benefits as you do and experience Hyatt the way Diamonds always do.
I'm a huge fan of this program and one of my recent traveling companions is now working on achieving Diamond status on their own after a great experience
at a full service Hyatt under this innovative new program.
I consider this to be one of the greatest concepts ever in the history of Hyatt Gold Passport. Its brilliant out of the box thinking ^
Thanks for this good explanation. I thought about the "Guest of Honor" Program but have to decide for myself if the points are worth it. It's 15000 category (after 20% back promo) for a room that I can get for $115-$120/night. However the Regency Club rooms are going for $215 so in that case a good redemption.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:33 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thanks for this good explanation. I thought about the "Guest of Honor" Program but have to decide for myself if the points are worth it. It's 15000 category (after 20% back promo) for a room that I can get for $115-$120/night. However the Regency Club rooms are going for $215 so in that case a good redemption.
An Ambassador pleasure
Sometimes a call to the front office manager gets a reading on the likelihood of what to expect best or worse case scenario
If I get the room reasonably enough I am happy to pay for my guests breakfast if they cant or don't care too
Especially if I am saving my points for something more aspirational on the redemption side of the equation for a future date
I recently discovered for example that one Hyatt has a discount for Diamonds and Platinum's who chose the buffet over the Regency Club with or without a stay
Its only 15% off but I am more likely to utilize that offer when the Regency Club gets boring
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
The breakfast / club access AFAIK covers a maximum of 4 people.

According to the rules, all 4 people have to be in the same room.

If you have people in different rooms, this is up to the discretion of the hotel.

Any contact with the hotel, they will repeat the rules verbatim, so I would check when you are at the hotel.

If I were you I'd just save the $100 difference with the room.

If it is the daily rate you quoted, you can use points to upgrade to a club room too. for your consideration
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
The breakfast / club access AFAIK covers a maximum of 4 people.

According to the rules, all 4 people have to be in the same room.

If you have people in different rooms, this is up to the discretion of the hotel.

Any contact with the hotel, they will repeat the rules verbatim, so I would check when you are at the hotel.

If I were you I'd just save the $100 difference with the room.

If it is the daily rate you quoted, you can use points to upgrade to a club room too. for your consideration
Thanks but the rate that I quoted is a corporate rate. The Hyatt daily rate for a "deluxe" room starts about the same as a Regency Club room on my corporate discount. So no discount to upgrade with points. I'll just wait and see what happens. At worst bet, we have an excess amount of kids on this trip and we'll just give them cereal/milk to keep them happy while adults utilize the lounge benefits.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Thanks but the rate that I quoted is a corporate rate. The Hyatt daily rate for a "deluxe" room starts about the same as a Regency Club room on my corporate discount. So no discount to upgrade with points. I'll just wait and see what happens. At worst bet, we have an excess amount of kids on this trip and we'll just give them cereal/milk to keep them happy while adults utilize the lounge benefits.
As per my observation: in North America, lounge access is typically via key card and lounge staff don't check if rooms are entitled to access the lounge. Of course, some hotels have dedicated host/hostess to check if guest are entitled to lounge access, but this is a minority as most hotel the host / hostess is typically also topping up the food in my experience.

In Asia, they ALWAYS check.

As always, YMMV
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
As per my observation: in North America, lounge access is typically via key card and lounge staff don't check if rooms are entitled to access the lounge. Of course, some hotels have dedicated host/hostess to check if guest are entitled to lounge access, but this is a minority as most hotel the host / hostess is typically also topping up the food in my experience.

In Asia, they ALWAYS check.

As always, YMMV
Thanks for this information. We'll just have to wait and see. If it comes down to it, we will just switch out who gets lounge access on which day and the others will make other arrangements for food. Still a discount if only half the people get to eat in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.