Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:34 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by satz
If I understand it correctly, breakfast is complementary for Diamond members for up to 4 people registered in a room.

However, it seems that Park Hyatt hotels (and others?) have a limit of 3 adults in a single room. How can I get breakfast for a 4th person since that person will not be registered in the room?
Technically you cannot unless the hotel decides to do it as a goodwill gesture. Its one of those gray areas of the program that allows hotels to save on benefits and make money by either selling more meals or rooms!
On an exception note some hotels may upgrade a Diamond to a larger room or suite and in that case upon arrival you may be able to add an extra name or two

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Its one of those gray areas of the program that allows hotels to save on benefits and make money by either selling more meals or rooms
Don't you think that line of reasoning is a bit preposterous.... There are all kinds of reasons there can be limits on the number of people in a room, sometimes even commercial ones.

But nobody's going to come up with a limit of 3 to save a possible additional Diamond breakfast.

If you travel with a party of 4 book a room that allows those numbers, or book two rooms and hope the hotel will be generous and extend your free breakfast priviliges, nearly all do.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
Don't you think that line of reasoning is a bit preposterous.... There are all kinds of reasons there can be limits on the number of people in a room, sometimes even commercial ones.

But nobody's going to come up with a limit of 3 to save a possible additional Diamond breakfast.

If you travel with a party of 4 book a room that allows those numbers, or book two rooms and hope the hotel will be generous and extend your free breakfast priviliges, nearly all do.
Yes agreed a bit when you take it too seriously or literally as the only reason.
But yes they can potentially sell more rooms by limiting occupancy to 2 guests in some hotels based on bed types or other factors
Or for that matter earn additional revenues by charging for additional persons in the room hello Tokyo and elsewhere Families be aware
Yes many hotels can be generous but I have seen the stingy variety as well that argue you cant order off the menu as its buffet only!
or limit amount of guests for breakfast.YMMV!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:25 pm

Hi everybody, I'm new to the Hyatt club and I received the 5k Gold bonus for my next eligible stay by July 31, 2014. I'm having trouble figuring out what an eligible stay is considered. Would a one night stay be considered an "eligible stay?" I read the faq and I'm still unsure. I understand that Marriott considers 2 nights to be one stay. I'm unsure about Hyatt.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In general all bookings made through hyatt.com are considered eligible stays, the number of nights doesn't matter. And most bookings throught 3rd party websides like priceline, etc. are considered are not.... Although there are exceptions.

Book through Hyatt and you are good to receive the bonus.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by buggy51
Hi everybody, I'm new to the Hyatt club and I received the 5k Gold bonus for my next eligible stay by July 31, 2014. I'm having trouble figuring out what an eligible stay is considered. Would a one night stay be considered an "eligible stay?" I read the faq and I'm still unsure. I understand that Marriott considers 2 nights to be one stay. I'm unsure about Hyatt.

Hyatt typically considers any stay to be eligible that would normally earn Gold Passport points

So any eligible booking channel applies
For further clarification on eligible rates speak to Hyatt Gold Passport reservations directly or feel free to ask here.
Regardless of program typically one check in and check out regardless of quantity of nights constitutes a stay unless the promotion itself
has a specific set of rules that may apply with a minimum or maximum of nights
So in this case you should be good with as little as a single night/ stay
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Technically you cannot unless the hotel decides to do it as a goodwill gesture. Its one of those gray areas of the program that allows hotels to save on benefits and make money by either selling more meals or rooms!
On an exception note some hotels may upgrade a Diamond to a larger room or suite and in that case upon arrival you may be able to add an extra name or two
Thank you for your response. I used a Diamond suite upgrade but it seems that I cannot have more than 3 people in that room. I tried to add an extra guest over the phone and was told that it was not possible.

Also, when I try to price a room for 4 people, the suite I was booked into does not show up. Somehow, a Double room is available for 4 guests for cash but when I select points, it says that it exceeds the maximum number of guests allowed. The room is bookable on points only when I select 3 guests. It is quite confusing and I don't understand what is going on here.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by satz
Thank you for your response. I used a Diamond suite upgrade but it seems that I cannot have more than 3 people in that room. I tried to add an extra guest over the phone and was told that it was not possible.

Also, when I try to price a room for 4 people, the suite I was booked into does not show up. Somehow, a Double room is available for 4 guests for cash but when I select points, it says that it exceeds the maximum number of guests allowed. The room is bookable on points only when I select 3 guests. It is quite confusing and I don't understand what is going on here.
Its our pleasure! And I feel your pain
After many decades with Hyatt you are not the only one confused.
I called Hyatt reservations line and got 3 different answers to the same question yesterday and finally had to speak with Guest Assistance/Hyatt Consumer Affairs
to get the correct answer. The red flag went up after the first question.
You might wish to turn to Guest Assistance when you hit the true confusion state.
I do know some guests that sneak an extra guest in the room and I am not advising that personally as there are risks attached to that.
My very close friend and his wife at the InterContinental in London ran into this problem when traveling with their young son and I advised them to call the hotel.
Thankfully they were able to accommodate the 3 of them as top tier members. In London a second room is a financial liability for many!

Hyatt Hotels have gotten very aggressive maximizing rates in recent years and in doing so its getting very difficult to redeem points for a two bedded room
in New York City and select hotels in other cities elsewhere.
This is where one may be forced to do business with Hilton and Marriott sometimes as they have more hotels, larger rooms on average and a bigger supply of rooms
with more two bedded rooms without the very limited availability with Hyatt when redeeming
International Hotels present the largest challenge for Hyatt guests and in that regard travelers face the problem of stricter occupancy more because
of very small rooms and strict fire laws as well as wanting to upsell guests on everything.
I am very lucky that 99% of my business and leisure travel is mostly one or two in a room so I rarely run into the challenge.
Hopefully I haven't confused you more!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:53 am

This might deserve its own thread, but since I am a newbie to the Hyatt board, I figured I would start here:

I am going to book the Park Hyatt in Shanghai and they have a great promo, buy 2 night, get 1 free. When I go to book however, the total shows the cost of all three nights. The rate rules state that this is pre-pay only, and non-refundable.

How do bookings like this generally work, if I book under this special, will I pay the complete amount now, and then receive a credit for 3150.00 CNY on my credit card at check out ?

This seems a bit...lame..

Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't really see the problem.... It's a non-refundable rate. And you get the 3rd night free.

I assume that you will be charged for 2 nights but some hotels don't even charge you at the time of booking, they just use this to charge you when you don't show. Just contact the hotel if you have any questions about how and whenthey will charge you, that's going to be the best answer you will get. Somehow with the great IT Hyatt has they seem unable to properly code these kind of offers.

The way this rate is described you could be charged for 3 nights in case of no-show, although I doubt it. But it's never a good idea to book non-refundable rates when you are not sure you will be staying.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:19 pm

Second Question, If I get the Hyatt Credit Card, and I spend the $1000 in the next 30 days (very easy to do for me), can I then book 2 free nights at the Park Hyatt Shanghai ?

Does that work, that alone is worth $1000
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Second Question, If I get the Hyatt Credit Card, and I spend the $1000 in the next 30 days (very easy to do for me), can I then book 2 free nights at the Park Hyatt Shanghai ?

Does that work, that alone is worth $1000
If there is space available when you book you should be fine
Free nights don't post instantly to your account after spending the 1k
So as long as you are prepared to possibly have to redeem elsewhere you will be good
You may wish to see what occupancy looks like in advance of your plan and have a back up plan if your timing doesn't work out with redemption
Cheers
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:34 pm

Hi all, I received an email from Hyatt saying:

Dear XXXX:

"Congratulations! You've earned 1 free night at any Category 4 property. If you'd like to earn even more free nights at Hyatt, apply for the Hyatt Credit Card."

And then it includes a link to apply for the card. I'm curious about the "you've earned 1 free night at any Category 4 property." statement. When I log into my account, it doesn't show any awards. I have about 19000 points, largely from transfers from ultimate rewards.

Will I get a reward night for some reason? Is this a promo, a mistake, or am I just reading it wrong?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RTW1
I don't really see the problem.... It's a non-refundable rate. And you get the 3rd night free.

I assume that you will be charged for 2 nights but some hotels don't even charge you at the time of booking, they just use this to charge you when you don't show. Just contact the hotel if you have any questions about how and whenthey will charge you, that's going to be the best answer you will get. Somehow with the great IT Hyatt has they seem unable to properly code these kind of offers.

The way this rate is described you could be charged for 3 nights in case of no-show, although I doubt it. But it's never a good idea to book non-refundable rates when you are not sure you will be staying.
It's coded fine. In the small print under rate rules it states 'Discount is applied at time of checkout.' And in fact this is exactly what happens.

We booked one of these for Siem Reap and the total was something around $700 but the cc was never charged and in the end, at checkout, the final tally was $450.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's coded fine. In the small print under rate rules it states 'Discount is applied at time of checkout.' And in fact this is exactly what happens.
I know it works fine... I've been using these type of offers a few times as well.

But what I meant was that for hotels with decent IT systems you simply show the actual rates to be paid, the last night of the offer showing a zero rate. That's how it should be done, not with a workaround at checkout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.