Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards
I applied for and am hoping to receive the card sometime this weekend! Was previously a Gold member but had 4 stays so far this year and am staying a a property next week. As the card automatically upgrades you to Platinum status, will there be any additional benefit if I 'naturally' qualify for Platinum next week?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Welcome to Flyertalk JayMR.

I'm told I'm "pending" in queue awaiting app review.

-scho
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Arrived!

After giving up hope that my Hyatt cards would arrive before leaving, I checked my mail box this morning, what do you know? They arrived! So much for them being shipped UPS overnight for Diamonds. They were shipped Presorted First Class US Mail from Westerville, OH and were sent with the cardmember agreement and a small brochure titled "The Hyatt Card" "Simplicity at its most rewarding" "Your guide to rewards and benefits"
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:21 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Would you be able to tell us what the material says about the trip cancellation and baggage delay insurance that is mentioned on the benefits website?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:32 pm

Good Day:
This Hyatt Diamond was denied the Hyatt Visa today in writing because he has 2 Chase accounts.
As stated in my earlier post I suspected it would be a problem when my original on line application did not let me enter the simple fact I owned my home.
First my last name was not used properly although I was told Chase had the right information…
Instead of “Dear Mr.Courcoison” it read “Dear Mr.Courc”.
Scary to see a financial institution making such mistakes and showing such a lack of respect.
One would think that after the last three years debacle the banking industry would get a clue.
Chase did not even run a credit check.
One of the accounts is a two months old Southwest Visa account.
I was actually directly contacted and offered this pre-approved Southwest visa with no fee the first year and two free Southwest tickets by Chase.
I have not flown Southwest once in 2010 but spent in excess of $8000.00 with Hyatt to date and qualified for 2011 Diamond Status months ago.
I was offered to give up the Southwest card (and the 2 free tickets) in exchange for having my Hyatt Visa application “reviewed” but turned the offer down.
Neither Hyatt nor Chase is rating very high right now in my book.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by courcoison
One of the accounts is a two months old Southwest Visa account.
Apparently that's the problem, if you read through the other thread about the Hyatt Credit Card that was closed when this one was started. Starting with post #22 in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...visa-card.html

So we have the 2 cards in 6 months problem and the 2 threads on the same topic with one of them closed problem.

-David
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Apparently that's the problem, if you read through the other thread about the Hyatt Credit Card that was closed when this one was started. Starting with post #22 in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...visa-card.html

So we have the 2 cards in 6 months problem and the 2 threads on the same topic with one of them closed problem.

-David
Good Day:

Thanks for linking the original Hyatt Credit Card thread as I posted my first comments there.
2 cards in 6 months apparently is a problem for Chase.
With customers that are credit worthy I fail to see why it should be a concern.
It tells me Chase really does not know what it is doing.
Does Hyatt ?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Good Day:

Thanks for linking the original Hyatt Credit Card thread as I posted my first comments there.
2 cards in 6 months apparently is a problem for Chase.
I believe Chase currently has a rule of not approving more than one application every six months. It's come up in the other Hyatt Visa thread (but of course I don't blame you for not reading that thread in all its glory).

Chase did not even run a credit check.
Be glad about that.

With customers that are credit worthy I fail to see why it should be a concern.
It tells me Chase really does not know what it is doing.
Does Hyatt ?
I don't know why Hyatt implemented that rule (seems a bit arbitrary).
Then again, I also don't know why credit companies throw so many miles and other benefits at proven non-profitable customers (e.g., Chase lets you open a new CO Onepass checking account every year and collect a bonus; you just can't have more than one, so you need to close the one from the previous year... silly). Maybe they just don't think they'd get more credit card charges out of you by giving you another card?

Since I got a OnePass MC just two or so months ago, I have no plans to apply for the Hyatt VISA for the moment, and might in fact go for the PC VISA thanks to the Crack-The-Case promo.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:33 pm

Good Day:

Thanks for your comments.

One wonders how each brand Chase pledges to serve feels about the way they are being peddled against one another regardless of customer worth and status.

The all thing is a farce.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dw
Would you be able to tell us what the material says about the trip cancellation and baggage delay insurance that is mentioned on the benefits website?
No problem - it's in 10 pages of about 7 point font, but the basics seem to be this:

$500 Baggage Delay Benefit:
Daily benefit of $100 a day for 5 days in the event of baggage delay. Limited to expenses incurred for the emergency purchase of essential items at a destination other than your primary residence. Long list of items NOT covered by this (contact lenses, artificial teeth, electronic equipment, jewelry, business samples, tickets/documents, etc.) And this insurance is excess over any other insurance or indemnity you have that might cover this. So you have to try your homeowners policy or airline/cruise/etc. coverage first, and they only cover any amounts in excess of that covered.

$5,000 Trip Cancellation/Interruption:
Up to $5,000 benefit for trips cancelled/interrupted resulting from 1. death, accidental injury, disease or physical illness of the insured person or an immediate family member of the insured person or 2. default of the common carrier resulting from financial insolvency. Death/injury/disease must be verified by a physician and must prevent covered person from traveling on a covered trip. They only reimburse up to the actual non-refundable amount paid by the insured (up to $5K max) and you must relinquish any unused vouchers, tickets, coupons, travel privileges, etc.

Then there are other sections on travel accident insurance ($500,000), lost luggage reimbursement ($3,000 max with all kinds of exceptions), travel and emergency services, trip delay reimbursement ($300 per ticket), price protection ($500 per item, $2500 total annual limit), purchase protection ($500 max per claim), return protection ($500 max per item), warranty manager service, personal identity theft, auto rental collision damage waiver, etc.

That's the quick summary, but if anyone really wants to know all the ins and outs, let me know, and I can scan in the whole document.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
Could you, please?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
One thing I haven't been able to figure out from the other thread or this one - Diamonds will receive 2 free nights in suites in any Hyatt worldwide but what about next year? Every points earning card I've had has an anniversary gift / bonus for retention, does this new Hyatt card have such a benefit? Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
One thing I haven't been able to figure out from the other thread or this one - Diamonds will receive 2 free nights in suites in any Hyatt worldwide but what about next year? Every points earning card I've had has an anniversary gift / bonus for retention, does this new Hyatt card have such a benefit? Thanks.
No anniversary benefit.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:29 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by oc2005

That's the quick summary, but if anyone really wants to know all the ins and outs, let me know, and I can scan in the whole document.
Thanks! That's helpful. Sounds like in a pinch and under only certain circumstances it may be useful.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by gleff
No anniversary benefit.
Thanks gleff. So big bang first year, no bang after that. Decisions, decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.