Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
So, how's this for customer service....

Today's a pretty hot and humid day in NYC. The all-time record high in NYC for this date is 106. Today was 104. NY Times: "How Hot Is 104? New York Counts the Miseries" http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/ny...s.html?_r=1&hp

Diamond GP member here. I have a reservation for tomorrow...it's supposed to be nearly as hot. I booked an award reservation for my parents...both of whom are in their mid-70s.

I called to cancel the reservation. I just don't think it is safe to have them in the city walking around doing tourist activities. I fully admit I am within the 24 hour cancellation policy. This trip has been planned for a while and they were really looking forward to it. Yes, I could have cancelled earlier. I realize that.

Despite the extraordinary conditions the manager, Florent, would not let me cancel the reservation. The Diamond desk called and he refused. I finally called and he still refused...but, after a long conversation and arm-twisting, he said he would make a "one time" exception.

Just an fyi/data point about some potentially less-than-accommodating service from a particular manager (again, given the extreme circumstances). I am not sure that all managers would treat Diamond members this way but I thought it was worth posting. The agent on the Diamond line was pretty shocked.
Unacceptable, completely indecent, and a reflection of the general disdain this property has for its Diamond guests. I will decline to give a farthing more to the Andaz Fifth Avenue until its attitude and policies regarding its Diamond guests change. Too many horror stories from this place to do anything else. So sorry you had to experience that.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Yes raise that shield high Msr Francophile

I have cancelled many times within the cancellation policy for several different Starwood hotels. Sometimes for reasons as simple as we wanted to stay a few days more somewhere else. I have never once had a problem with the Starwood platinum desk not being able to get the cancellation done for me.

It has nothing to do with it being 104 degrees. It's down to the way a chain handles it's best customers. This hotel consistently handles them with disgust
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
wow

Had a great 3 day stay. Upgraded to a fantastic suite and had killer breakfasts every morning.

Great customer service.

My favorite hotel in manhattan by a mile.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I have cancelled many times within the cancellation policy for several different Starwood hotels.
I am Platinum with Starwood. I, too, have had much weaker excuses at Starwood and been allowed to cancel reservations after the deadline.

I personally believe elderly people (elite or not) should be allowed to cancel reservations during severe heat emergencies. Not allowing a Diamond member to cancel given the circumstances is pretty shocking in my book (and the book of the woman that was helping me on the Diamond line, as well).
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Yes raise that shield high Msr Francophile

I have cancelled many times within the cancellation policy for several different Starwood hotels. Sometimes for reasons as simple as we wanted to stay a few days more somewhere else. I have never once had a problem with the Starwood platinum desk not being able to get the cancellation done for me.

It has nothing to do with it being 104 degrees. It's down to the way a chain handles it's best customers. This hotel consistently handles them with disgust
I can sort of see both sides here (and I am saying this as someone who had a horrible stay at the Andaz 5th Ave last year). Allowing last-minute cancellations is a courtesy that is usually extended to top-tier members at Hyatt and other chains. It is not a published benefit and reservations clearly state the cancellation penalties, whether you are Diamond or not.

In the OP's case, the fact that it was exceedingly hot on a summer day doesn't strike me as a particular good reason to waive the policy (unexpected flight delays/cancellations, being sick etc. are a different story). Could the hotel have handled this more gracefully? Yes. Were they within their rights to decline to waive the cancellation policy? Yes.

Of course, I would have been unhappy too if my request had been refused.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:59 am

I am Platinum with Starwood. I, too, have had much weaker excuses at Starwood and been allowed to cancel reservations after the deadline.
Do you really think you're entitled to be able to cancel a rez after the cancellation deadline?

I think there's a difference between a nice gesture and expecting something non-standard and not required.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
To avoid the hassles next time change the reservation to a later date... then call back and cancel. BTW the cancellation deadline at the Andaz 5th Avenue is 48 hours, not 24.

So, how's this for customer service....

Today's a pretty hot and humid day in NYC. The all-time record high in NYC for this date is 106. Today was 104. NY Times: "How Hot Is 104? New York Counts the Miseries" http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/ny...s.html?_r=1&hp

Diamond GP member here. I have a reservation for tomorrow...it's supposed to be nearly as hot. I booked an award reservation for my parents...both of whom are in their mid-70s.

I called to cancel the reservation. I just don't think it is safe to have them in the city walking around doing tourist activities. I fully admit I am within the 24 hour cancellation policy. This trip has been planned for a while and they were really looking forward to it. Yes, I could have cancelled earlier. I realize that.

Despite the extraordinary conditions the manager, Florent, would not let me cancel the reservation. The Diamond desk called and he refused. I finally called and he still refused...but, after a long conversation and arm-twisting, he said he would make a "one time" exception.

Just an fyi/data point about some potentially less-than-accommodating service from a particular manager (again, given the extreme circumstances). I am not sure that all managers would treat Diamond members this way but I thought it was worth posting. The agent on the Diamond line was pretty shocked.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok I just deleted several posts since it was personal commentary - get back on topic of reviews of the property and not other members.

Peteropny - co-mod hyatt
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
I have had nothing but good experiences at this property. Used to stay at the London NYC to avoid the other dreadful Hyatt NYC properties.

I am an early riser and stop by the lobby on the way down to the fitness center, and by the second day, they have a couple of lattes waiting for me to gulp down before my workout. After the workout the free breakfast is fantastic as well.

We got upgraded to a great suite to watch the ball drop from our room on New Years Eve.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcditolla
We got upgraded to a great suite to watch the ball drop from our room on New Years Eve....
There are rooms that have a view over to Times Square? Seems unlikely! Or were you watching it on TV?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There are rooms that have a view over to Times Square? Seems unlikely! Or were you watching it on TV?
Perhaps not impossible. I stayed in a two bedroom suite at this property two months ago and from our balcony was able to see a sliver of Times Square.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I too had the 2 br suite and you can see the buildings on 42nd in TS. I am not sure if one can see the ball drop but I was told yes by FD.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:02 am

Luggage Storage

We arrive on a 9AM flight and leave on an 8PM flight.
How is the Andaz Fifth Ave about luggage storage on check in and check out days?
People in our group will likely be checking in on Thursday, so the storage of our bags between check out and time to leave for the airport is the most important.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by DaisyRasputin
We arrive on a 9AM flight and leave on an 8PM flight.
How is the Andaz Fifth Ave about luggage storage on check in and check out days?
People in our group will likely be checking in on Thursday, so the storage of our bags between check out and time to leave for the airport is the most important.
Not a problem, it's a hotel and can handle stored luggage
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
evening wine at 5th ave Andaz?

Do they serve complimentary wine here for an hour in the evening like the Wall St. Andaz?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.