Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:29 pm

it was one entree, juice and coffee per person when i was last there at the end of february of this year. no refills on juices either. i thought the breakfast was pretty bad. i tried to get a table and i was told there was a 30 minute wait. the place was packed. the service was horrible. the food was overpriced and it didn't taste good. i get it's midtown, but for that price, you can spend the same at surrounding restaurants and have a better meal.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
it was one entree, juice and coffee per person when i was last there at the end of february of this year. no refills on juices either. i thought the breakfast was pretty bad. i tried to get a table and i was told there was a 30 minute wait. the place was packed. the service was horrible. the food was overpriced and it didn't taste good. i get it's midtown, but for that price, you can spend the same at surrounding restaurants and have a better meal.
We were 0/2 on breakfasts in February . . . First morning, the kitchen didn't print room service order so it never came, and we went out instead. Second morning, I waited 5 minutes for a hostess, then was told there was a 20 minute wait for a table, so we went elsewhere.

Service recovery by Front of House Manager was solid, but they've obviously got some issues in the dining room and kitchen.

5 Hyatt nights so far this year and nothing has made me regret decision to bail for Marriott.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:53 pm

sounds like my experience. you didn't miss out on much. the food wasn't andaz level, especially at the prices they were charging. too bad you didn't get to try it though. =( i prefer the andaz wall street over this location.

i'm thinking about the marriott platinum challenge myself, but we'll see.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
sounds like my experience. you didn't miss out on much. the food wasn't andaz level, especially at the prices they were charging. too bad you didn't get to try it though. =( i prefer the andaz wall street over this location.

i'm thinking about the marriott platinum challenge myself, but we'll see.
I've had excellent breakfasts here in the past; we really like the location and love the Splash Suite.

Hyatt is tough to beat in NYC, I think it has the best options of any of the major chains. Otherwise happy with Marriott so far.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by heffa
At this location, I believe it's $80 before taxes/gratitude for breakfast, and that's easy to hit for two persons. I think my room service breakfast this morning was $60 something total.
Pls look at posts 1736 and 1741.

Q is whether they count by food which they say is 1 entree, one juice and one coffee or by dollar amount. If by food, why have dollar amount ? If by dollar amount, how is food relevant?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:17 am

its definitely changed. Used to be a dollar amount and no limit on the ordered items. I recall ordering a burger and pancakes before and it was no problem at all. One of the added benefits of WoH I assume.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Q is whether they count by food which they say is 1 entree, one juice and one coffee or by dollar amount. If by food, why have dollar amount ? If by dollar amount, how is food relevant?
It's really not worth debating. An entree, juice, and coffee costs around $37.50, so you can use $75 for two as a rough guide.

The property has always been a bit inconsistent in terms of whether they'll waive an overage. Like most Hyatts, it now seems to be tightening up under WoH.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's really not worth debating. An entree, juice, and coffee costs around $37.50, so you can use $75 for two as a rough guide.

The property has always been a bit inconsistent in terms of whether they'll waive an overage. Like most Hyatts, it now seems to be tightening up under WoH.
I think the lack of clarity is somewhat intentional. What the property doesn't want is someone ordering $75 worth of food when they are the only one staying in the room. There have been plenty of posts by travel bloggers where they have "maximized" this benefit. One entree, juice and coffee limits the cost incurred by the property and less food being ordered means less work to prepare that in the kitchen.

For those staying there with family (two adults and two children), the hotel would rather have the food be limited to $75 as opposed to four entrees, four juices and four coffees (not that children likely drink coffee).

The verbal message I received on a recent stay with family was there is still somewhat of a $75 limit, but when I pointed out that wouldn't likely cover even four entrees they said to order what you want, we don't want you to be hungry.

If just one person is staying, ordering much (or anything) beyond one entree, juice and coffee may result in an additional charge. If two are staying, I would probably consider something within the $75 limit to accepted. If staying as a family, I would get a confirmation on arrival as to what is considered appropriate.

Limiting things to the regimented entree, juice and coffee per person could actually be negative for the property - example: you want a bagel and cream cheese for you kids ($6) and instead order the bagel, cream cheese and gravlax ($22) because it counts as an entree. Same could apply to ordering a side of eggs/hash browns versus a more expensive entree that included those.

WoH is cost containment.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I love the room service breakfast there and willing to live with the inconsistencies. The most frustrating one is what my wife gets oatmeal with berries ithe berries get charged for (usually but not always)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I love the room service breakfast there and willing to live with the inconsistencies. The most frustrating one is what my wife gets oatmeal with berries ithe berries get charged for (usually but not always)
Berries - by the cup or bowl don't seem to show on the website menu but are a costly breakfast addition, especially compared to the fruit cart on the corner of Madison Ave.

It looks like the Whole Foods across from Bryant Park also finally opened:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/bryantpark
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Is it just one entree, juice and coffee? So one cannot even have a piece of bread or pastry to go with the breakfast (for example eggs)? Just curious. Does it not then make the dollar amount redundant as one cannot really reach $100 in that case?
With many breakfast entrees one would naturally want a side dish, such as bacon or ham with eggs or pancakes.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With many breakfast entrees one would naturally want a side dish, such as bacon or ham with eggs or pancakes.
A breakfast entree at Andaz 5th is a complete plate of food (as it is at most breakfast places). You are not going to leave the table hungry. Let's please check out the menu before engaging in a theoretical discussion here. Breakfast Menu at the Shop.

This property is more than fair in how it applies the breakfast benefit.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:38 am

Had a one night stay scheduled here the other week as a GLOB with points+cash. Got an email in the morning that they are looking for volunteers to move to a different hotel due to overbooking. I volunteered and asked for breakfast as well, since I'd get that on my stay normally.

Ended up getting refunded my points + cash and got a free night at the Langham which is just a few blocks away. Really nice hotel and the breakfast was phenomenal. Pancakes blew away the Andaz pancakes in my opinion

No stay credit but it was totally worth it to take the offer.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by alexj7
Had a one night stay scheduled here the other week as a GLOB with points+cash. Got an email in the morning that they are looking for volunteers to move to a different hotel due to overbooking. I volunteered and asked for breakfast as well, since I'd get that on my stay normally.

Ended up getting refunded my points + cash and got a free night at the Langham which is just a few blocks away. Really nice hotel and the breakfast was phenomenal. Pancakes blew away the Andaz pancakes in my opinion

No stay credit but it was totally worth it to take the offer.
That's classy.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree. Or at least include refills for the $8 juices or not serve the juice in a tiny glass... just my opinion.

Speaking of, I tried to get tea from the tea/coffee setup by the computers, but the setup disappeared. I was told they remove the complimentary tea/coffee after breakfast and it's not there all day. It would be nice if they had it all day like the Andaz Wall Street. They were more than happy to make me a cup when I asked so I don't think they'll refuse you if you ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.