Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:14 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by dontcry
They offered the complementary in-room breakfast in the morning for Diamond members.
Is in-room the only option for the Diamond breakfast (is there a restaurant on site)? And was it a full breakfast, i.e. what were the menu choices?
Originally Posted by hamboarder
So gold passport members CAN use their FFN on this property already? I thought I read it wasn't bookable yet
A couple random nights towards the end of March show as available through the FFN booking link. I'm considering a stay myself; just haven't picked the dates yet.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I am currently in-house at the Andaz Wall Street and will do a full review after my stay is completed.

Just wanted to mention in the meantime that, unfortunately, I have received absolutely zero Diamond recognition on either stay. When I asked about some sort of Diamond breakfast this time, I was told, nicely, that breakfast is only included when on a rate that includes breakfast. No amenity was offered or received, nor points in lieu of the amenity. And no perceivable room upgrade (although the room this time is a little bit larger and has a "wet area" with shower and bath, rather than just a shower last time).

Not so great. I now that Andaz is included in the amenity requirement (though not technically, it seems, according to GP T&C, in the 1000 point option).

Is some sort of breakfast for Diamonds standard for Andaz ( I always am provided a full breakfast at Andaz London, in room or at the restaurant) or at the property's option?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
I've got FFN's at this property on Tuesday / Wednesday next week and was informed by the very friendly Australian receptionist that a full breakfast for Diamonds is available in the Wall+Water restaurant.

Regardless of brand, this is a Cat 5 property like a PH and full breakfasts for Diamonds are or should be standard.

I've found that amenities are hit and miss and in most cases you need to request - that has been my experience at stays at the HR, GH and PH the past 2 weeks and btw, I've always asked for points.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Update on Andaz Wall Street Diamond Recognition

Apparently the "no breakfast for Diamonds" policy is not the policy. Under the "ask someone else if you don't get the apparently correct answer/preferred answer" approach that may be particularly helpful in newly opened properties, I checked at the reception and was told that a full breakfast at the restaurant or in-room is included. Apparently a training/teething problem. But apparently no Diamond amenity is generally offered, though the "true" policy is a bit unclear.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Live in NJ, LOVE the city and usually stay on the West Side in the 50's. Is there anything worthwhile doing in the Andaz area or is it merely for business types that need to be in the area? If going in for a weekend, is it a reasonable alternative (or should I just wait for the 5th Avenue version to open?

Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:09 am

From the way it sounds, its not worth taking her here 4 V-Day.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by mommafrica
From the way it sounds, its not worth taking her here 4 V-Day.
I was thinking the same thing. I have to be in NY for three days in a couple of months. I wanted to try out the Andaz property but the reviews have made me think twice. Hopefully it's just grand opening blues.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: CX DM/OneWorld EM, Hyatt Courtesy, SPG Platinum
Pre-opening phase

Originally Posted by Darren
I was thinking the same thing. I have to be in NY for three days in a couple of months. I wanted to try out the Andaz property but the reviews have made me think twice. Hopefully it's just grand opening blues.
Just stayed at Andaz Wall Street for 2 nights - and whilst agreeing with most of the comments above on employees requiring more training, I do see lots of potential for this hotel to be the next "it" place for the Wall Street / Financial District. With an office at 60 Wall and the hotel being 75 Wall, the hotel does provide some of the largest rooms in NYC (and honestly the new hotels which opened in NY in recent months were not impressive) and has a great bar for after hours. The restaurant's menu is straightfoward but the decor/ambiance is quite nice. I would give the hotel some time to train up its staff but otherwise it's understated, "homey" approach does appeal well to well-worn business travellers.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Diamond
Different Experience

Little suprised by the comments thus far. Stayed at the Andaz WS this past weekend. While I will agree check-in was somewhat awkward in their insistence to hold a lengthy conversation and sit down, I found the staff courteous and very discreet. While one "Host" was checking me in, another "Host" quietly provided an envelope with a letter detailing their Diamond Breakfast policy, which was for in-room dining on account of Wall + Water not being open yet. Our bags were taken immediately, and the "Host" took us to our room, which was a corner "Executive King." I inquired about the Diamond Amenity, and was told that I would receive the 1000 points as they did not yet have an amenity in place.

To say the least, the Rockwell Group did a great job with their use of space. While not technically being a suite, they placed their signature "rotating closet" (though it was stationary) in the center of the room to act as a divide between the sitting area and the bedroom. The living room had a couch, two chairs and coffee table facing the flatscreen in the closet. The bedroom had a long desk in front of the bed (which was tucked in the back corner), where one side acted as a second vanity (mirror on the back of the TV and additional seating), and the other side had the large flatscreen and office desk sitting area. The entire room was lined with windows (four total), with electronic controlled blackout shades.

The bathroom is where I think this room fails. While the rain-shower is huge, the towels are hung in the shower stall, and it is impossible NOT to flood the open vanity area. Many towels were wasted drying up the floor. The toilet stall-door was frosted, whereas the shower door was completely clear, continuing the "open bathroom" theme with the other rooms. The bathroom products were C.O. Bigelow, which was different from the advertised Red Flower products, though still a big step up from Portico.

The hotel staff called ahead of time to ask if we would like the turndown service, which we accepted as we were running out the door to dinner. Upon return, the blackout shades were lowered, bed turned down, trashed removed, bathroom towels/products replenished. The breakfast service was decent, with the hotel staff setting up two place settings and providing the meal sans large tray. We each ordered a specialty entree and juice, and the only charged to our folio was the gratuity (~$7). They then called an hour later, to ask if they could pick up the plates, which I appreciated. The only problem I really encountered was the ease to which the room keys were deactivated by cell phones.

Overall, this is a MASSIVE step up from the outdated Grand Hyatt, and welcome reprive after the end of the Stanhope. Once the Andaz Fifth Avenue opens up, I think Hyatt will finally be showing that they are taking New York City seriously again. Long overdue, but better late than never.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Tx E53nyc - thats a pretty good TR and I'm looking fw to checking in tomorrow.

Rooms sound a bit like the PH in DC, esp the flooding in the rainshower bathroom.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:26 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Question Beds @ Andaz

I had my dose of Andaz West Hollywood and though it remains satisfactory I will take a first class Park Hyatt over an Andaz any day.
Sadly Hyatt doesn't seem to be making any new effort with the Park Hyatt brand
Off the record is the bed firm like Andaz West Hollywood?A box spring or platform?
Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I had my dose of Andaz West Hollywood and though it remains satisfactory I will take a first class Park Hyatt over an Andaz any day.
Sadly Hyatt doesn't seem to be making any new effort with the Park Hyatt brand
Off the record is the bed firm like Andaz West Hollywood?A box spring or platform?
Thanks
I would rate the beds just below a Park Hyatt. The pillows and comforter were both down, and the matress was a step up from the regular Hyatt Beds, but not as plush as the Park Hyatt beds.

The biggest difference between the Park Hyatt DC Deluxe Kings rooms and the Andaz WS Executive King room is that the bed in the Andaz is recessed in the wall, and in place of where the bed is in the PH DC, is the long desk/vanity/tv unit. There are also windows both in front and to the right of the bed.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:27 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by e53nyc
I would rate the beds just below a Park Hyatt. The pillows and comforter were both down, and the matress was a step up from the regular Hyatt Beds, but not as plush as the Park Hyatt beds.

The biggest difference between the Park Hyatt DC Deluxe Kings rooms and the Andaz WS Executive King room is that the bed in the Andaz is recessed in the wall, and in place of where the bed is in the PH DC, is the long desk/vanity/tv unit. There are also windows both in front and to the right of the bed.
These are platform beds and not my personal taste for comfort.The hotel itself looks beautiful

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 2, 2010 at 10:41 am
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:36 pm

I'm in house now and admittedly some of the greeting / lounge / relaxed setting was a bit awkward, but its new so it will take some getting use to.

I like the free mini bar and I like the comp wine / snacks here in the lobby lounge (whatever they call it).

Room is decent - better view from here than the HVAC in the PH DC. Would like to hear from those who have been upgraded to a suite.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
May become my favorite NYC hotel..

Finally checked out the Andaz Wall St. this week. Long story short- I really like this hotel and think most FTers will too, once you get used to the differences between it and other hotels.

Key thoughts/observations:
-No front desk = attendants (I forgot their official title) waiting by the door ready to welcome you with a huge smile and a *heavy* dose of friendliness.

-Once they ask you to take a seat and start asking your check in info and where you're coming from, etc. (reference heavy dose of friendliness above as well i'm sure a fair amount of confusion from most guests), they swipe your credit card, get your signature, and code the room key via their tablet computer- really neat idea.

-The kind attendant insisted on rolling my bag to my room (despite my numerous efforts to spare her!) and provided a 'tour' of the Exec King room (lighting schemes, power curtains, comp. minibar (sans hard liquor) - a nice touch that keeps with their theme of personal style & service, but i'm curious how folks in a rush to check in would feel about this process (took probably about 20 minutes total from entering hotel to attendant leaving the room post-tour)

-Very nice room! Great layout, very modern setup, unique restroom setup (although earlier posts about this topic make fair points), good work area with outlets, wifi included, and beds are much more comfortable than the mid-town GH or Jersey City Hyatt (my favorite NYC area Hyatt...until now??)

-"Community Room" (i think thats what it's called) is a novel idea at a hotel, at least around NYC- its like a family room setup, with couches, chairs, wifi, newspapers, and small snacks and drinks. I didn't get to spend much time here but it was very nice from what I saw.

-Bar is fantastic. They're going for a 'sit around the kitchen counter' feel and it works. Great service, great drinks, great idea. Hotel staff outnumbered guests/bar patrons at least 3:1. Lots of smiles and check-ins (*heavy* dose...)

-Restaurant was very good. I'm not positive what they're going for in terms of a theme (there was a meat & cheese section, salads, and meat/fish) but I expect this to get better and better. Great service here.

-Given 1000 points + $50 Diamond credit, available for in-room or restaurant dining.

-In conclusion, this may quickly become my regular NYC home (4-6 nights/week). Before that happens, I want to see how they can scale all the personal attention and friendliness as the number of guests rises and things get busier. It was a great experience with 5-6 guests lounging around with 1 or 2 checking in at any given time, but I'm curious how they'll handle, for example, a big conference in town with dozens of people waiting to check in or for a drink.

Will def. be staying again soon. Happy to address anything that I may have missed. Pics available upon request.

**Pics Below (pardon the phonecam quality!)**

Last edited by mohan12; Feb 11, 2010 at 1:18 am Reason: added pixx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.