Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I'm a Costco member in SE Michigan, and would be happy to help other FTers as well who don't have a Costco membership, just let me know.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Picked up more certs today at Sterling VA store. They still have plenty certs left but they run out of the envelopes .

I would be glad to help if you need some. Just PM me.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Picked up certs in Cleveland today. They had tons of them and said they were selling very briskly.
The manager also confirmed that they are just a seasonal item.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by ScottNYC
Quick question that may have been answered already but I couldn't find in the thread search...I just bought $4000 worth of checks in an OC, Cali store for my upcoming travel and then I realized that most of my future stay rates per night are actually ~$90-$95 (including tax). Does this mean I need to buy a drink or room service and charge to the room to get the total bill over $100 so that I can use two, $50 gift checks? Sometimes I know stores give you the remainder in cash if it's a small amount, but not sure what Hyatt's policy is. I'd love to know what people in a similar situation have done. Thanks!
I've had bills of $98.15 and $99.xx and had to get a little something extra to use 2 certs. Even an extended discussion once about my not caring about the difference, but the agent insisted she could only take 2 if the amt was $100 or great. ymmv - good luck!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'd be more than willing to help other members also. I'm a Costco member and both the Frederick, MD and Leesburg, VA stores still sell certs. I can buy for people or guest someone in with me when I go shopping (you'd have to use my member number but you could use your own AMEX to pay).
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:02 pm

My apologies, but I've read the first 25 pages and can't bear to read anything else right now.

Currently I'm SPG Plat, likely moving domestic traffic to Hyatt.

Since these certificates cannot officially be used for pre-paid rates, which are typically the lowest, what is the value I'm missing here. Why use a discount certificate when you have to pay a higher rate? Doesn't this negate the value or are there other, valid, rate discounts I'm missing?

Sorry, I'm really not appreciating all this and have to assume I'm missing something due to all the fervor.

Thanks for your patience, help & insight!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by ttrltb
My apologies, but I've read the first 25 pages and can't bear to read anything else right now.

Since these certificates cannot officially be used for pre-paid rates, which are typically the lowest, what is the value I'm missing here. Why use a discount certificate when you have to pay a higher rate? Doesn't this negate the value or are there other, valid, rate discounts I'm missing?

Sorry, I'm really not appreciating all this and have to assume I'm missing something due to all the fervor.

The prepaid rates are sometimes the lowest, but certainly not all the time or most of the time. My corporate rate is usually lower and some other properties or nights don't offer a prepaid rate. There's also some discussion about using an incorrect expiration date for your CC and therefore there will be no prepay and then use the certs when you get there, but I've never personally done this.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ttrltb

AAA rates are usually as good, if not better than, the prepaid rates. It's worth the cost of membership. Book a AAA rate and it can usually be cancelled penalty-free with reasonable notice. Also, the certificates can be used for incidentals charged to your room--meals, spa, etc., or even separately from a stay you can use them in the restaurants.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:03 pm

Even when the prepaid rate IS the lowest rate available for a given property, what going with the Costco certificates gives you is the flexibility to cancel without penalty while still getting a very good net rate. If you don't need flexibility, then, sure, the pre-paid, un-changeable rate was designed to get your business.

Suppose I think there's a 75% probability that I'm going to travel to City X for a 3-day trip a month from now. I can immediately book the current prepaid rate, but then there's a 25% chance I'll forfeit the entire amount if my travel plans change. And if the prepaid rate drops between now and my travel date, too bad, I can't rebook. So should I wait and keep checking to see if the prepaid rate has dropped, and debate with myself as to when I should pull the trigger and buy? Instead, I can look for the current best discounted flexible rate (in my experience often the AAA member rate) and make a reservation immediately, knowing there's no chance of forfeiture, and establishing a ceiling for the maximum amount I might have to pay for my stay. Periodically, I can poll and see if the best available discounted flexible rate has dropped from my original reservation, and if so, cancel and rebook. If I'm too busy to check very often (or the value of my time is high), that's OK, since I already know what is the maximum I might need to pay. If I'm already happy with that maximum, I don't need to sweat frequent checking.

For example, for one Hyatt Regency whose rates I'm pretty familiar with, the rack rate is $250 (all numbers here are with taxes and fees); but when things are slow, the "normal" Hyatt.com rate is $175, the prepaid rate is $120, and the AAA discount rate is $150. If I book the AAA discount rate and use three Costco Hyatt $50 certificates, I'm paying $120 net, same as the prepaid rate. The difference is that my AAA discount rate reservation could be canceled as late as the day before the stay without any penalty. If I wanted to wait until the day before the stay to book my reservation, there's no guarantee that the $120 prepaid rate still exists at that time.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Don't forget to check out rates using the COSTCO rate code. I've seen this with lower rates than even AAA. My corp code is often way lower than either of these as well, and have used these certs to pay for those stays.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by DealDetective
AAA rates are usually as good, if not better than, the prepaid rates. It's worth the cost of membership. Book a AAA rate and it can usually be cancelled penalty-free with reasonable notice. Also, the certificates can be used for incidentals charged to your room--meals, spa, etc., or even separately from a stay you can use them in the restaurants.
+1!^
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Don't forget to check out rates using the COSTCO rate code. I've seen this with lower rates than even AAA. My corp code is often way lower than either of these as well, and have used these certs to pay for those stays.
I just wish it was good at HP & SS's!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Canada and Certificate Use

Originally Posted by pdb
If anyone has chance to use these Check Certificates outside of the US, please post (and PM me, please), advising whether the exchange rate used was (i) a competitive interbank rate (in which case, what was the spread?), or (ii) the typical tourist rate posted at the reception desk. Thanks in advance.

Note--as previously posted--that "Outside of the United States and Puerto Rico, the total charges will be reduced by converting the USD value of the Hyatt Check Certificate into local currency according to the daily foreign exchange board rate." (my emphasis) Whereas, the Gift Card (usable in the US, Canada & Caribbean) T&Cs indicate "In Canada, purchases will be reduced by converting the USD value of the card into local currency."

I used a gift card in Canada, a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised that the exchange rate used was an interbank exchange rate. Based upon my reading of the T&Cs for the Check Certificates, however, it appears as though the exchange rate to be applied would be the same rate posted at the reception counter--i.e. a tourist rate (perhaps 6-8% off the interbank rate). If one gave a USD check or USD cash to pay for a bill, the "board" .rate would be the rate that the hotel would use

I'd be very interested
Has anybody used these certificates in Canada? I have a trip coming up next month and am interested to know if the certs can be used and the exchange rate.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by milomaniac
Has anybody used these certificates in Canada? I have a trip coming up next month and am interested to know if the certs can be used and the exchange rate.
There is a link on the website that is somewhere in this thread (likely the beg) where the participating hotels are listed.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milomaniac
certificates.hyatt.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.