Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rate Gone] Conrad Bangkok Presedential Suite $51 on priceline

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by derpelikan
guys if you dont have money and you make a budget holiday in the conrad, well thats fine with me.
From your other posts, it doesn't sound like it's "fine" with you.

My point about people not spending money was just an observation that I think is mostly true. People who spend 60/night will not likely come back for 600/night. My point was that if the Conrad thinks that honoring this rate mistake brings them more business, then they are wrong. Just my opinion.

People are free to spend what they like; what the Thais at the hotel will think lacks class is taking advantage of their spirit of "jai dee" (warmheartedness) by making changes, trying to change names, asking for late checkout, early check-in, etc.

Also, Bangkok can be enjoyed from a $50/night hotel as well as a $200/night hotel. You can get the Grand Mercure Fortune for about $55/night, has a lovely pool and top notch service. Siam Beverly same same but different down the road for even less. President Park has awesome rooms and pool for $65/night! Even the Majestic Grande can be had for less than $100/night and would run over $300 in Chicago for the same accommodations.

And some of the better meals I have had in Bangkok were less than 300 baht!

One final note: At the restaurant at the Conrad, as well as most restaurants in Thailand, gratuity added onto the credit card does NOT go to the staff, it goes to the hotel. The only gratuity the staff keeps is gratuity given to them directly. And at many bars and restaurants, even baht left on the change tray does not go (100%) to the staff. If you want all your tip to go to the staff, the only way to do that is to leave zero tip on the credit card, zero money on the change tray then, when you are leaving, hand the tip to the server directly.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Jun 29, 2007 at 8:04 am
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
nah

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
From your other posts, it doesn't sound like it's "fine" with you.

My point about people not spending money was just an observation that I think is mostly true. People who spend 60/night will not likely come back for 600/night. My point was that if the Conrad thinks that honoring this rate mistake brings them more business, then they are wrong. Just my opinion.

People are free to spend what they like; what the Thais at the hotel will think lacks class is taking advantage of their spirit of "jai dee" (warmheartedness) by making changes, trying to change names, asking for late checkout, early check-in, etc.

Also, Bangkok can be enjoyed from a $50/night hotel as well as a $200/night hotel. You can get the Grand Mercure Fortune for about $55/night, has a lovely pool and top notch service. Siam Beverly same same but different down the road for even less. President Park has awesome rooms and pool for $65/night! Even the Majestic Grande can be had for less than $100/night and would run over $300 in Chicago for the same accommodations.

And some of the better meals I have had in Bangkok were less than 300 baht!

One final note: At the restaurant at the Conrad, as well as most restaurants in Thailand, gratuity added onto the credit card does NOT go to the staff, it goes to the hotel. The only gratuity the staff keeps is gratuity given to them directly. And at many bars and restaurants, even baht left on the change tray does not go (100%) to the staff. If you want all your tip to go to the staff, the only way to do that is to leave zero tip on the credit card, zero money on the change tray then, when you are leaving, hand the tip to the server directly.
i was not saying that the people who have paid 16usd would pay 650usd for the suite.

i wanted to say that even the cheapest room costs 160usd at the conrad bangkok. this doesnt include executive floor acess.
so if you get a room for 16usd, if you spent 30-50 usd extra per day, or at least once i think most of us this extra charge wouldnt kill us.

of course in BKK there are a lot good and cheap hotels, thanks for the information on these hotels, i will have a look at it as a friend who doesnt have so much money is going to bkk soon, and these hotels come in handy.

about the food, well you can get one dish for 200baht, but if you drink , eat , dessert this sums up usually to more than 300baht. maybe i EAT TOO mUCH...

dp
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:31 am
Suspended

At the restaurant at the Conrad, as well as most restaurants in Thailand, gratuity added onto the credit card does NOT go to the staff, it goes to the hotel.
First time I heard this one. Although it doesnt go to a specific staff, I always thought it will be shared by all the staff.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by mario33
First time I heard this one. Although it doesnt go to a specific staff, I always thought it will be shared by all the staff.
In general, in Bangkok, credit card gratuity is NOT shared by the staff. 100% to owner. There are probably exceptions, I know of one for sure - Coyote on Soi Convent - where all tips go to staff. But the general rule is credit card tips go to owner.

Tips left on the change tray sometimes go 100% the owner, sometimes the owner takes a part of them, sometimes all to the staff. But all to the staff would be the exception in BKK, not the rule.

As I said, in Bangkok, the only way of making sure the tip goes to the staff is to give it to them directly in a "separate action" from your payment of the bill.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:28 am
Suspended

Programs: American Express
Also my opinion. Point taken! ^

Over all it is a five star luxury hotel. Hence, some people simply expect this flexbility from the hotel. Regardless of the "jai dee".
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:01 am

Programs: SEN -
If I were to prepay two 600$ per night rooms and when arriving at hotel with a different name for the second room I will still be given the room 4 sure. This being a mistake rate that has been honoured gives right to different rules. I really dont know why so many people like to try and abuse these offers. It surely makes us look bad . We should all at least try and use some dosh in the hotel and keep the hotel happy.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by malteser
If I were to prepay two 600$ per night rooms and when arriving at hotel with a different name for the second room I will still be given the room 4 sure. This being a mistake rate that has been honoured gives right to different rules. I really dont know why so many people like to try and abuse these offers. It surely makes us look bad . We should all at least try and use some dosh in the hotel and keep the hotel happy.
I think you should readthrough all the comments
and you will see that a different name in the second room has caused problems.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:50 am

Programs: SEN -
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
I think you should readthrough all the comments
and you will see that a different name in the second room has caused problems.
Da... That is what I am trying to explain. I believe the hotel has a right to recover any amount possible where ever and how ever they could. Come on... 50$ a night in one of the better Bkk hotels is a steal. I bet you you all that if you offer half the rack rate for the second room in the other name, you will be accomadated, without any problem, and treated like a king.
Any way this is my opinion, and I really hope some of u share it with me.
Have a good one
Old Jul 1, 2007, 5:16 am

Programs: AC*G; BD*G; CX; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diam
I m having evening cocktails at the lounge right now and everything has gone well to date.

The staff have been very friendly and polite, and the service has been exceptional. As a gesture of my appreciation, I m spending more money at the hotel than I would otherwise.

However, none of that oxygen for me!
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
but its great

Originally Posted by flyyyz
I m having evening cocktails at the lounge right now and everything has gone well to date.

The staff have been very friendly and polite, and the service has been exceptional. As a gesture of my appreciation, I m spending more money at the hotel than I would otherwise.

However, none of that oxygen for me!
the oxygen is expensive but its great. you feel better after you drunk too much.

Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by holtju2
Come on. Don't be cheap. The evening buffet for two with a drink is about 3000 THB. Not that astronomical.

I had few drinks with friends at the Diplomat bar and the check was around 6000 THB.
I wasn't being cheap and I didn't get in on this deal BTW, $50 for a buffet is expensive especially with other food options in the mall next door
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:11 pm

anybody there end july?

hi,

i will be there from 24.7 - end july.

anybody else in the conrad that time?

dp
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:43 pm

I MAY be
still deciding if its worth the trip
Are u in the pres suite??
Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:15 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
I MAY be
Same-same. Not sure it is worth the trip.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:15 pm

nope

I MAY be
i am not in the pres suite

dp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.