Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza Wakkanai (Hokkaido, Japan) $7

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maayan
Who's going? Add your name here. If folks see that quite a few are going, it may incentivize them. Could turn into some mini-DOs.

Maayan - OCT 01-04 *** had to cancel ***
CarpeDiem22 - OCT 01-08
Print Wikipost

Crowne Plaza Wakkanai (Hokkaido, Japan) $7

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:24 pm

Thanks!

Booked some dates!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:35 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
So couple of footnotes.

- WKJ in fall is AWFUL. At least in Novemer. I guess we'll see how it is in October.
- Flights into and out of there are unreliable as hell.
- Ferry to Russia stops somewhere in October because... well, stuff freezes.

Here are my notes on it. Enjoy. Honestly, the trip was so quirky that it was amazing in its own right, so I'm sure as hell going back.

Sorry for splitting it in so many entries, but I tend to write my notes as things happen.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyj_1Jx5g...Nf0rTdyyrPbz8/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyUGPDVmS...EAZtmAG9IytD4/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExnFmwHpS...s_tMjDRoUs848/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExCM588hk...VU9co8nIacbHQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExCM588hk...VU9co8nIacbHQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExonDx7-2...UaCrhQT7XPQ9A/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEwIpNui8l...hXTBRCnjP96eQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyQ-SFDHl...E3QEmbUegVoUs/
Amazing trip report,
My hero

So how was breakfest? Is it worth it?

*If you book the weekdays the rate seems to be cheaper.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:38 pm

Going to Sapporo in Feb for the snow fest. I wonder if the wife would like to live in Wakkanai for a few d̶a̶y̶s̶.̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶s̶.̶ months?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
There are two flights if I remember correctly, but I don't think there's a 737. At least not in fall. There's only a DH4 if memory serves.

I think October is probably a lot nicer than November.... maybe I'll run into someone there again.

This wasn't intended to be such an insane mattress run, but having done it, it was great.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
There are two flights if I remember correctly, but I don't think there's a 737. At least not in fall. There's only a DH4 if memory serves.

I think October is probably a lot nicer than November.... maybe I'll run into someone there again.

This wasn't intended to be such an insane mattress run, but having done it, it was great.
It is 1x daily HND-WKJ on a 737, and 2x daily WKJ-CTS both on Dash 8s. Wakkanai doesn't even have electrified train service it is so far north . It does have diesel though.

October looks to at least avoid the snow in the first half of the month, if nothing else.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
It is 1x daily HND-WKJ on a 737, and 2x daily WKJ-CTS both on Dash 8s. Wakkanai doesn't even have electrified train service it is so far north . It does have diesel though.

October looks to at least avoid the snow in the first half of the month, if nothing else.
Ahh, yeah, it's true - there's a direct flight but as I remember, the timing was a fail for me because I needed it to be a same day in/out.

Little did I know. :P
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:22 am

October 2-October 4 is definitely available, 900 yen (~US$7.29).
Thanks!
I guess I'm way too late - all I see is 7,200.00 Yen - rougly $58...So not for me this time..
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Thanks!
I guess I'm way too late - all I see is 7,200.00 Yen - rougly $58...So not for me this time..
Yeah it looks gone, and the second week of October is even sold out. I got October 1-4 last night.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Maayan
Yeah it looks gone, and the second week of October is even sold out. I got October 1-4 last night.
I got Oct 1-5. Will probably only use it if a great fare to Japan comes along but fingers crossed!
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:34 pm

I kind of wish people looked at where this is before booking blindly, as chances are lower the hotel will honour it if it's fully sold out - despite nobody actually having the intention of going there.

Japan is small and Wakkanai is *cold*, and this is so completely out of the way that people are mostly deluding themselves if they want this for a mattress run.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I kind of wish people looked at where this is before booking blindly, as chances are lower the hotel will honour it if it's fully sold out - despite nobody actually having the intention of going there.

Japan is small and Wakkanai is *cold*, and this is so completely out of the way that people are mostly deluding themselves if they want this for a mattress run.
I looked, I always figure I can happily spend 48 hours anywhere so if the right fare comes up I fully intend to go, may not use my last night or two but I will certainly do my best to show up and have a look around. It will be far from the strangest place I have been on holiday.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

I looked and looked for sure, examined all the ways to get there and things to be done outside of simply watching TV in the room for x number of days (vacation day limited). Surprised the second week sold out, probably went onto some indiscriminate blog site that didn't tell people how Wakkanai is about as far from Tokyo/Osaka as it gets in Japan...

And IHG status isn't valuable enough to go all the way to Japan just for a mattress run (I'm a few nights from Spire, I know).

And many, many Boston winters prepares one well for nearly any sort of "cold" .
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:35 am

I visit Japan roughly twice a year, this will be my second visit of 2016 and will be solely on Hokkaido, a part of the country that I've never explored. I'll be happy to spend a couple of days in this remote part, even in mid October.

But I do agree with the comments of others, don't head to this location if you really want to be somewhere else in Japan!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:38 pm

People did look where this is, but this was available as a cancelable booking for like a buck more, and the FT way is "book first, think later", right? Because, don't ya know, in the next 10 months some airline might "extra-generously" offer $200 YUL-Sapporo in J with triple RDM.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Wyd Plat.
October 2-October 4 is definitely available, 900 yen (~US$7.29).
Oct 2- 4 is pricing out at 7600 JPY and Oct 2-4 says no rooms available. I'm using the best available rate on the ihg app.

Is there a way to still find this cheap rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.