Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza Wakkanai (Hokkaido, Japan) $7

Crowne Plaza Wakkanai (Hokkaido, Japan) $7

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 24, 16, 6:05 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Maayan
Wiki Link
Who's going? Add your name here. If folks see that quite a few are going, it may incentivize them. Could turn into some mini-DOs.

Maayan - OCT 01-04 *** had to cancel ***
CarpeDiem22 - OCT 01-08
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 19, 15, 10:02 am
  #1  
Used to be highman123
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,650
Crowne Plaza Wakkanai (Hokkaido, Japan) $7

Dates in October 2016

Book on ihg.com
MightyTravels is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:23 am
  #2  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,163
omg it's the gift that keeps giving!!

I uhh ... stayed there for a month and a half last time.

that said, check where this is. I have a whole story about THAT trip...
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:26 am
  #3  
Used to be highman123
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,650
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
omg it's the gift that keeps giving!!

I uhh ... stayed there for a month and a half last time.

that said, check where this is. I have a whole story about THAT trip...
Did you book for this rate and they honored it? I want to see that trip report
MightyTravels is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:27 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,701
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
that said, check where this is. I have a whole story about THAT trip...
Good word that's a LONG way up! Northernmost railway station in Japan . Also, 260 inches of snow annually .
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:30 am
  #5  
Used to be highman123
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,650
Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Good word that's a LONG way up! Northernmost railway station in Japan . Also, 260 inches of snow annually .
It has year-round ferries to Russia http://wikitravel.org/en/Wakkanai

Northern Japan has always been on my list - maybe not in winter though
MightyTravels is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas or Park City
Posts: 169
Booked Oct 3-8th

Refundable for 1.00 more

Paul
antignos is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 12:19 pm
  #7  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,163
So couple of footnotes.

- WKJ in fall is AWFUL. At least in Novemer. I guess we'll see how it is in October.
- Flights into and out of there are unreliable as hell.
- Ferry to Russia stops somewhere in October because... well, stuff freezes.

Here are my notes on it. Enjoy. Honestly, the trip was so quirky that it was amazing in its own right, so I'm sure as hell going back.

Sorry for splitting it in so many entries, but I tend to write my notes as things happen.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyj_1Jx5g...Nf0rTdyyrPbz8/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyUGPDVmS...EAZtmAG9IytD4/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExnFmwHpS...s_tMjDRoUs848/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExCM588hk...VU9co8nIacbHQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExCM588hk...VU9co8nIacbHQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExonDx7-2...UaCrhQT7XPQ9A/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEwIpNui8l...hXTBRCnjP96eQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyQ-SFDHl...E3QEmbUegVoUs/
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 12:27 pm
  #8  
Used to be highman123
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,650
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
So couple of footnotes.

- WKJ in fall is AWFUL. At least in Novemer. I guess we'll see how it is in October.
- Flights into and out of there are unreliable as hell.
- Ferry to Russia stops somewhere in October because... well, stuff freezes.

Here are my notes on it. Enjoy. Honestly, the trip was so quirky that it was amazing in its own right, so I'm sure as hell going back.

Sorry for splitting it in so many entries, but I tend to write my notes as things happen.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyj_1Jx5g...Nf0rTdyyrPbz8/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyUGPDVmS...EAZtmAG9IytD4/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExnFmwHpS...s_tMjDRoUs848/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExCM588hk...VU9co8nIacbHQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExCM588hk...VU9co8nIacbHQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AExonDx7-2...UaCrhQT7XPQ9A/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEwIpNui8l...hXTBRCnjP96eQ/
http://www.evernote.com/l/AEyQ-SFDHl...E3QEmbUegVoUs/
Holy moly you actually stayed for 45 nights!

I thought they put a nuclear powered ice breaker before that Russian ferry

I'd love to featured your trip report on our site. Send me a PM if you are interested!

Last edited by MightyTravels; Nov 19, 15 at 12:41 pm
MightyTravels is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 12:40 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,701
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Here are my notes on it. Enjoy. Honestly, the trip was so quirky that it was amazing in its own right, so I'm sure as hell going back.
Makes me want to go for 2-4 nights .
harvardkim likes this.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Nov 19, 15 at 1:20 pm
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 12:59 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 556
Thanks MightyTravels, I just booked 3 nights (have yet to see this part of Japan)

Having just reviewed the notes of Pseudo Nim I might have to rethink the length of stay. That's an impressive mattress run by the way!
danam is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 1:11 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,701
Originally Posted by danam View Post
Thanks MightyTravels, I just booked 3 nights (have yet to see this part of Japan)

Having just reviewed the notes of Pseudo Nim I might have to rethink the length of stay. That's an impressive mattress run by the way!
I'm starting to think two nights might be enough, especially if flying in and out to/from Tokyo: the once daily nonstop 737 flight out of HND arrives just after 12PM it appears, and departs just after 1PM.

Edit: Switched to just 2 Oct-4 Oct, on a refundable.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Nov 19, 15 at 1:20 pm
TheBOSman is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 1:24 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 556
I was intending to visit Sapporo, I hope the train is a sensible option to get to this remote town from there. Can always check out a day early if you get bored, if the penalty is not getting the third night refunded then I can live with it!

Incidentally, I usually spend very small amounts of time in a place before moving on, so maybe it will be one night in the end.
danam is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 2:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FRA
Posts: 614
Cant find any Dates in October with this Price - what dates did you go for?
blueeagle3 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 2:06 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 556
Originally Posted by blueeagle3 View Post
Cant find any Dates in October with this Price - what dates did you go for?
13-16th October for me. Maybe they are now seeing record numbers of bookings for an October.
danam is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 2:07 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Posts: 25,701
Originally Posted by blueeagle3 View Post
Cant find any Dates in October with this Price - what dates did you go for?
October 2-October 4 is definitely available, 900 yen (~US$7.29).
TheBOSman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread