Search

Shopping for both fake/genuine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP
Shopping for both fake/genuine

Hey All,

Well i've been a long time lurker on the forums but only really started getting into the miles/points threads recently. I think I'm half brain dead from trying to understand all the codes/talk.

Im currently in Hong Kong for a few days staying in Kowloon (at the Royal Pacific Hotel) and thought I might make use of the travel threads! I hunted around last night and thanks to these threads I think I have most locations for my meals sorted... very handy.I've allocated around $2000 USD to doing some fun shopping.

Basically I'm just looking for a range of stuff. Maybe a some bags, some *good* copy watches, clothing. I dont mind if its not genuine, just as long as the quality is ok. Obviously I understand you get what you pay for...

After doing some reading I get the idea that I should be staying away from Nathan Road. I went down that street last night and after 5 mins was very sick of heading "copy watch, copy watch"

I hear Mongkok markets are very good, and also temple(?) night markets. Can anyone suggest anywhere specific or anywhere else?

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas in advance.

Cheers

Hayden
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:40 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by haydengr
....and also temple(?) night markets. Can anyone suggest anywhere specific or anywhere else?
Temple Street / Night Market

Take the MTR two stops from Tsim Sha Tsui station to Yau Ma Tei, walk back down Nathan Road a block or so, turn right on Man Ming Lane and left on Temple Street. You'll encounter the Tin Hau Temple as you walk down the street - the market extends both sides of it (i.e., north and south), from Man Ming Lane in the north to Jordan Road in the south. Go after 6-7 pm, when it's in full swing.

Last edited by tt7; Apr 16, 2009 at 7:45 pm
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Just go to the Ladies Market in Mong Kok and ask for "grade A+" merchandise. Often it is indistinguishable from genuine (might be made by the same workers at the same factory using the same materials, just on an extra shift and not sanctioned by the trademark owner who contracted with that factory; or it might be a genuine production over-run and they want to clear it out from stock, though that is rare). The onus is on you to know what you are buying (to know what to look for). At a minimum carry a small magnet from you (so you can distinguish non-magnetic metal from iron -- amazing how many items will be magnetic in their "gold" and "platinum" and even "brass" parts). There is a wide range of quality out there, and the prices at the high end are very good, but it takes a bit of work to find the high end (and to know what you are getting when you have found it). Fwiw, I've seen fake Zegna in the Zegna store at the Peninsula hotel -- priced at the genuine price, of course. When I pointed it out to the store manager, he was very embarrassed but it was clear that he knew all about it. I could only detect that it was fake as I happened to be wearing a similar Zegna item (known genuine) and could compare the details directly. It was excellent quality -- but not Zegna, and worth 10% of the Zegna price consequently.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by number_6
Just go to the Ladies Market in Mong Kok and ask for "grade A+" merchandise. Often it is indistinguishable from genuine (might be made by the same workers at the same factory using the same materials, just on an extra shift and not sanctioned by the trademark owner who contracted with that factory; or it might be a genuine production over-run and they want to clear it out from stock, though that is rare). The onus is on you to know what you are buying (to know what to look for). At a minimum carry a small magnet from you (so you can distinguish non-magnetic metal from iron -- amazing how many items will be magnetic in their "gold" and "platinum" and even "brass" parts). There is a wide range of quality out there, and the prices at the high end are very good, but it takes a bit of work to find the high end (and to know what you are getting when you have found it). Fwiw, I've seen fake Zegna in the Zegna store at the Peninsula hotel -- priced at the genuine price, of course. When I pointed it out to the store manager, he was very embarrassed but it was clear that he knew all about it. I could only detect that it was fake as I happened to be wearing a similar Zegna item (known genuine) and could compare the details directly. It was excellent quality -- but not Zegna, and worth 10% of the Zegna price consequently.
Please tell me you took his name and reported it to HK authorities, Zegna, the Peninsula (regardless of what happens). I know this has been known to happen in the Mainland, but this is a different market with different expectations and is quite frankly, ridiculous.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, haydengr! If you have a China visa, consider going to Shenzhen (Lo Wu market) for your fakes, bet they'll be lots cheaper than in HK. However, not usually worth it if you don't have a multiple entry visa already.

It's a lot like "Alice's Restaurant" -- you can get anything you want. For example, I was in Shenzhen a few weeks ago and was approached by several street vendors selling very professionally packaged versions of Windows 7 -- which isn't even close to finished yet at Microsoft and hence doesn't even exist.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP
Well I ventured to Mongkok today. Seemed to have some OK stuff. Turns out when we were speaking to one guy the cops had just been going through some stuff and were told to come back in half an hour. That explained why no one was pushing stuff on us.

Ventured into some apartments and shop fronts, and got some good quality stuff. Crazy how much you can knock off their original starting price...

I'll venture to temple street tonight and see how that goes.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I absolutely detest fakes, but for genuine, you can often catch some good deals at HKG. The brand shops are owned by the airport contractor and not the boutiques themselves. Often, you see sales that would never happen in a boutique store.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:51 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Braindrain
[i]I absolutely detest fakes
Its also illegal.

http://www.customs.gov.hk/eng/advice_advice_e.html

Counterfeit goods and infringing articles
Travellers may be liable to prosecution if they bring into/out of Hong Kong any counterfeit goods (e.g. watches, handbags and clothing) bearing forged trademarks/false trade descriptions, or infringing copies of copyright works (e.g. optical discs containing computer software, films, music or computer/video games).

1. Why do Customs officers conduct search on passengers and their baggage?

Being one of the law enforcing arms in Hong Kong, Customs officers are tasked with the duties to prevent and detect smuggling of contraband items such as narcotics, arms, ammunition, weapons, counterfeit and pirated goods, etc. In fulfilling the mission, we examine baggage of passengers at entry/exit points on a selective basis. Personal search may also be conducted on passengers as and when required.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Apr 17, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.