Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Baggage Check-in at the Kowloon MTR (Subway) station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990

I'm on a NW flight going from Hong Kong to Tokyo. I understand that at Kowloon station in Hong Kong, you can check baggage (on the day of travel) throught to the airport.

Does anyone know exactly how this works? Do they then courier the bags from downtown and make sure they are checked in, tagged, and security checked?

Most importantly, it looked to me like it was only certain airlines which allowed "in town" check in, and for some reason NW didn't look like one of them... am i wrong??

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
The in town check-in is for people taking the airport express train!
So if you take the train, you can just check-in at the station, at a check-in counter just like at the airport.
The just put your bag in the same train. Really no need to courier then to the airport with the train going there already.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
This is a CX service. I believe it is only if you are flying CX to NRT, doubt you can use it if flying NW. Just take the bags with you on the train to the airport.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
This is a CX service. I believe it is only if you are flying CX to NRT, doubt you can use it if flying NW. Just take the bags with you on the train to the airport.</font>
??? The in-town check-in is inside the Airport Express train station, thus to get there, you have to have bought and used a ticket for the train. However, you don't have to take it, but you have to pay for it.

I don't know if NW participates (i.e. has a counter at the station), but many other airlines do. The only restriction is that if you are flying to the US non-stop, you have to check in at the airport. Thus, if you are going HKG-YVR-JFK in CX, you can still check in at the Airport Express station.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_intro.htm

Free In-town Check-in Service
To ensure that your journey gets off to a good start, a free In-town Check-in service is available for all major airlines at Hong Kong and Kowloon stations except:

Air Philippines
Angel Air
Continental Airlines
Continental Micronesia
Orient Thai
Pacific Airlines
Pakistan International
President Airlines
Turkish Airlines

With effective from 29 April 2003, passengers can check-in and collect their boarding passes from one day in advance to 100 minutes before take-off. (If you use the Octopus Card to ride on the Airport Express, fares are deducted when you check-in. But no more will be deducted when you board the train.)

The following airlines allow check-in one day prior to departure:

Aeroflot
Cathay Pacific Airways
China Airlines
Dragonair
Mandarin Airlines
Singapore Airlines*
South African Airlines
Swiss International Air Line
Thai Airways International PCL
United Airlines**
Vietnam Airlines

Service hours: 5:30am -11:00pm (The exact close-out time for individual airlines is subject to the flight schedule.)

* Due to the Security Policy, the In-town Check-in service of Singapore Airlines for flights flying to United States will be suspended temporarily.

** United Airlines only provides same day In-town Check-in service. The service hours are from 5:30am to 6:30pm.

More details, please contact respective airlines.

Old Feb 12, 2004, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Sorry for my mistake, I really thought it was a CX only service. All the signs and staff uniforms that I saw were for CX, and I didn't research it (just happened to see it on my way to the airport, and checked my carry-on on a whim, fully confident that CX will unload it within 5 minutes of landing (something that they have managed every time, at every airport, so far -- quite impressive, however they do this).
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Thanks everyone!!!!!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
The only restriction is that if you are flying to the US non-stop, you have to check in at the airport.
Sorry to disagree, but I have checked in and gotten boarding passes on both UA and SQ for HKG-SFO flights. Gotten off the train and gone straight to security.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Sorry to disagree, but I have checked in and gotten boarding passes on both UA and SQ for HKG-SFO flights. Gotten off the train and gone straight to security.
Check the date of this thread. That information was correct 5 years ago.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Check the date of this thread. That information was correct 5 years ago.
Sure did not see that

The response was yesterday and that is what I saw, guess I did not look too carefully.

Also, I am only talking about the Airport Express station.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Since the information in this thread is a bit out of date, I'll go ahead and close it.

Gary
aka gleff
Senior moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.