Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Over!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Check-in and boarding processes for CX flights to Mainland

The dust has been settled for a few days as far as the reopening of Mainland of China is concerned. Has anyone on FT flown to China since Jan 8? I am interested in knowing the Checkin and boarding process, in particular, regarding the COVID test certificate. I know that the WeChat mini-program from Customs of China does not require uploading of the PCR test certificate. Does CX check the certificate at all at either checkin or at gate after one shows the green code? Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The dust has been settled for a few days as far as the reopening of Mainland of China is concerned. Has anyone on FT flown to China since Jan 8? I am interested in knowing the Checkin and boarding process, in particular, regarding the COVID test certificate. I know that the WeChat mini-program from Customs of China does not require uploading of the PCR test certificate. Does CX check the certificate at all at either checkin or at gate after one shows the green code? Thanks.
So far I've seen reports of people who flew with ANA and Air Canada without showing any PCR results. CX going into HK obviously doesn't require a PCR result. If you were flying as a local from HK the PCR test result is vigorously checked. No idea what level of enforcement exists for transit passengers but I would be surprised if it was more lenient than local HK flyers.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Thank you for the info. I will not be a transient passenger because I will need to overnight at HKG. The 2-hr Rapid PCR test won’t be open until 1 am but my flight from ICN arrives at 10:30 pm. So, I will need to leave hotel at 8:00 am for the test for a noon departure to Mainland. The PCR test done at US will expire before the flight departs to Mainland if someone knows to how to convert time zones.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: CX Gold
Will be going to HK next month.

So I will need to do a self administered RAT before my flight, take a photo of the result with my name and date (and time taken?). Take RAT again for the next 5 days with picture. When is the start of this 5 day RAT, upon clearing immigration? Or the next day after arrival? Are there particular test kit brands that are accepted?

Last edited by boybi; Jan 17, 2023 at 6:16 pm
Old Jan 17, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by boybi
Will be going to HK next month.

So I will need to do a self administered RAT before my flight, take a photo picture of the result with my name and date (and time taken?). Take RAT again for the next 5 days with picture. When is the start of this 5 day RAT, upon clearing immigrant? Or the next day after arrival? Are there particular test kit brands that are accepted?
You have to take the pre departure RAT and keep the picture for 90 days.

As for the 5 extra tests on arrival, they are now a mere suggestion.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:36 pm

Are you saying I don’t need to bother myself doing post arrival RAT anymore?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by boybi
Are you saying I don’t need to bother myself doing post arrival RAT anymore?
correct.
boybi likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
On a scale from 2019 to 2022, how enjoyable would a long weekend in Hong Kong be these days with purely touristic intentions? I understand outdoor masks are still in play, are we back to normal apart from that or should I wait a tad longer?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by SkyRunner04
On a scale from 2019 to 2022, how enjoyable would a long weekend in Hong Kong be these days with purely touristic intentions? I understand outdoor masks are still in play, are we back to normal apart from that or should I wait a tad longer?
Apart from the mask mandate and a "je ne sais quoi" of apathy amongst locals, I find 2023 HK to be exactly the same as 2019.
If you liked it then, you'll enjoy going back now.
JNelson113 and SkyRunner04 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:34 am

Maybe we should compare with 2018? As 2019 was the year full of protests?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 2:29 am
Original Poster

A lot lot quieter in tourist areas without Mainland and other visitors. Shopkeepers, never a friendly bunch, seem to have gotten testier. Outside Central, Westerners have become a rare sight.

All in, the city seems really provincial these days. The sense of worldliness has gone.
tai4de2 and DragonSoul like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
Outside Central, Westerners have become a rare sight.
What about DB?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Wouldn't know. Never go there!
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by tentseller
What about DB?
Except for all the Cathay pilots who took the buyout, same stressed, weird, kiasu white people that were there before.
tentseller and :D! like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:09 am

Are there any plans for Hong Kong to scrap the RAT requirement by March? I wanted to do a 2 - 3 night stopover in HK.. but the idea of testing positive (which could happen to anyone) at the last minute scares me.. especially if the whole trip is riding on the chance of needing to test negative :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.