Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summer Thunderstorms

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
No airline will cancel or delay a flight 15 hours prior to arrival at HKG because of thunderstorm forecast. Does not happen, period. NYC->HKG is Polar Route over China, so if there is diversion it will be MFM, CAN etc. And won't be TPE or KHH.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
I know we're getting off topic here, but I'm curious about flight paths between MFM/SZX and HKG.

I am guessing the following:
-when HKG is operating east-west, both would be needlessly long flights
-MFM-HKG could theoretically be a 5 minute flight when winds are out of the northeast (northbound takeoff, right turn, eastbound landing)
-SZX-HKG would appear to be a 200+ mile flight, regardless of runway orientations, due to the 15,000 foot hand off rule
Actual schedule flight time from Hong Kong (ST Centre, not HKIA at CLK) to Macau heliport is 7 minutes.

There was casual men talk about HKG MFM flight. The conclusion from the chit chat was when you do an all in calculation the turbo-jets beats flying in total travel time.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
Actual schedule flight time from Hong Kong (ST Centre, not HKIA at CLK) to Macau heliport is 7 minutes.

There was casual men talk about HKG MFM flight. The conclusion from the chit chat was when you do an all in calculation the turbo-jets beats flying in total travel time.
There is also helicopter service between Shenzhen and Macau. While I've never availed of it myself, I'm pretty sure that the 15,000 foot rule does not apply, and that the routing is fairly direct. But, I am guessing a true SZX-HKG flight plan would be close to 200 miles in order climb to 15,000 feet while still in PRC airspace and get into the HKG approach pattern 30 miles out. I base these assumptions on my experiences with CAN-HKG flights, which have 60 additional miles in order to get to 15,000 feet.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Helicopters are scary.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Helicopters are scary.
Helicopter parents are even more scary!!!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:21 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by tentseller
Helicopter parents are even more scary!!!
That's true... They are both great in theory, but scary in practice. I nearly sh my pants the first time I sat in a helicopter and felt wind streaming in from a not completely closed door.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:47 pm

Flying in to Hong Kong early this week, be aware that Typhoon Nida is heading straight for the territory:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/07/3...it-on-tuesday/
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
Flying in to Hong Kong early this week, be aware that Typhoon Nida is heading straight for the territory:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/07/3...it-on-tuesday/
Don't worry. There is a Li Ka Shing in Hong Kong.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:22 pm

But are his powers all they used to be? We shall see.

(This thread, Post 900, reports several long-haul flight cancellations from the U.S. as a result of the threatening typhoon: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2016-a-60.html .)
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
(This thread, Post 900, reports several long-haul flight cancellations from the U.S. as a result of the threatening typhoon: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2016-a-60.html .)
UA and many American airlines cancel flight well in advance for issues that may or may not happen.

It is not an authoritative indicator.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:32 pm

"It is not an authoritative indicator."

Not sure there are any "authoritative indicators" when it comes to weather prediction.

In any event, HKO now predicts Nida becoming a Severe Typhoon as it approaches Hong Kong.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_gis_e.htm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
UA and many American airlines cancel flight well in advance for issues that may or may not happen.

It is not an authoritative indicator.
When you have one arrival and the same equipment is use for the next departure you can't have your equipment tied up by airport closure, more so when you don't have alternatives dealing with major MX at a far away outpost.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX to suspend flights from 22:00 tonight 無綫新聞 - 受颱風影響 國泰港龍晚上十時起停飛 http://news.tvb.com/instant/579ed9bf6db28c810ce9f7aa/
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:30 pm

Just posted over here

I count 12 cancelled CX flights alone between 7-10pm already
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:45 pm

"Thousands of passengers stranded."

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/sectio....php?id=172256

"The Leisure and Cultural Services Department announced that, due to big waves, red flags have been hoisted at Kwun Yam Beach, Cheung Chau Tung Wan Beach and Silver Mine Bay Beach, meaning beach-goers are advised not to swim."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.