Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund {CHN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by Aldebaran
The Long Bar is very nice and perfectly restored to its 1911 design.
I consider it to be the coolest bar in the world at the moment. Nothing ultra special about it, but the 1900s feel, particularly when they have live entertainment and I have a stoogie and some brandy it out of this world. Great place to relax.

Morning tea across the hall was fantastic too, though the Bund has all of the best restaurants in Shanghai (except the restaurant at the top of the Park Hyatt - my favorite in Shanghai after Jean Georges).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
What is the friends and family rate....?

FDW
lol. "Friends and Family rate". if that phrase is quoted by a local, it means you're about to get a screw-you price. Negotiate hard in Shanghai!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: Meh
Simply put, the best hotel I have stayed in within the Hilton Group, bar none. Also top 3 hotels I have ever stayed in. Cannot wait to get back...and also have a cigar and drink in the Long bar, which is awesome!

To anybody going to stay there for the first time, look forward to it, so much so I went to the Conrad in HK (normally stay there while in HK) and was dissapointed.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
I'd agree can't see any property within Hilton group that could top this one.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Staying at the WA right now. 1600RMB/night got me a junior king suite. Was upgraded to a 110sq m King Deluxe Ocean View suite which retails for over 7000RMB a night.
Pretty decent breakfast spread, although I've had better at other hotels in China.

I believe the 100RMB beverage credit is per day. As my last stay, I had 200RMB in drinks waived from the Long bar over a 2 day period.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by krazieman
Staying at the WA right now. 1600RMB/night got me a junior king suite. Was upgraded to a 110sq m King Deluxe Ocean View suite which retails for over 7000RMB a night.
Pretty decent breakfast spread, although I've had better at other hotels in China.

I believe the 100RMB beverage credit is per day. As my last stay, I had 200RMB in drinks waived from the Long bar over a 2 day period.
They really market "Ocean View" rooms there? Of which ocean do they speak?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
They really market "Ocean View" rooms there? Of which ocean do they speak?
Ha! Good point. Even if you had one of the rooms pointed East and were about 30 stories higher because PuDong is so much taller than the Bund, the "fog" would block said view.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Ha! Good point. Even if you had one of the rooms pointed East and were about 30 stories higher because PuDong is so much taller than the Bund, the "fog" would block said view.
That, and the fact that the (muddy and placid) East China Sea hardly qualifies as an "ocean" in my book. In any event, I don't think I've ever seen it (aside from flying out), even from the tall buildings in LJZ.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
I had tea at the Park Hyatt the other day and your visibility up that high is 0 feet. At least on the 23rd floor at the WA I can see a combination of smog and buildings.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kyo
HHonors Diamond members will have the following benefits:

* Upgrade to the Deluxe Riverview room, when available (got this)
* Complimentary breakfast at the Grand Brasserie on daily basis
* 15 % discount on food in any of the hotel's restaurants
* Complimentary welcome drink at RMB 100
* 1000 Bonus points
I checked in today and got exactly the same benefits. Booked AWA rate on week's notice.

Previous 3 nights I spent in Hilton Shanghai. Proximity to public transport, free evening booze and some food in the lounge is advantage of Hilton.

Everything else is so much better in Waldorf Astoria. Very impressive and high tech bathroom with TV, remote control, automatic seat recline, special remote control for flushing, open/close lid, etc. Reminds me Conrad Tokyo
I also enjoyed technology kit and communication panel. It's a place where one can connect and charge iPhone, iPad, HDMI/VGA, audio/video to the room TV-audio system. Cables were also provided.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:26 pm
Kyo

Programs: Ex-BD55 + KF*G + BA Gold + IC RA(?) + OZ*G + SPG*P
Yup, they are consistent. Having the next stay there on 5-7 Feb, didn't go to Shanghai last year. Very much looking forward to it. Describing this hotel requires me to use too many superlatives. It's very nice.

:P
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
There's one little annoyance at W=A. They use official local Chinese internet provider which does a lot of filtering. Hilton uses one based in .hk where google, twitter and other services are available.

VPN, tunnel and other creative solutions work just fine.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dabee69
There's one little annoyance at W=A. They use official local Chinese internet provider which does a lot of filtering. Hilton uses one based in .hk where google, twitter and other services are available.

VPN, tunnel and other creative solutions work just fine.
I don't know, I'm typing from my room there right now and have had no problem using google.hk. I don't tweet or FB so can't comment on them.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Notenut
I don't know, I'm typing from my room there right now and have had no problem using google.hk. I don't tweet or FB so can't comment on them.
google hk is rarely blocked in China. What dabee was suggesting is that the Hilton has a pretty good VPN that permits access to banned sites. Bear in mind that the net nannies can take down ANY vpn, but they usually don't mess with the services that large companies depend upon (because this would slow down business). However, during the lead up to the 18th Congress, they gummed up pretty much everything (this happens once or twice per year).
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Just checking in for a short stay at the hotel and using the wireless with no problems with speed or access. Have a beautiful river view room And this is a view you want to look at especially at night Room furnishings are beautiful and diamonds are treated very well here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.